Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion Radiators?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Champion Radiators?

does anybody have any experience with this brand? I'm looking at an all-aluminum, radiator for around 275 shipped. It even has the toppings for a tranny cooler line, I just have to transfer them from my old radiator or put in new ones. Its also a 4 core.

Anybody know of their quality?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking at an all aluminum radiator and I think I went with the aluminum radiator that has the plastic sides for the trans cooler. I didn't see it as being worth it. Really that's all you get in an all-aluminum rad...are the sides are aluminum instead of plastic. It might help to cool the trans fluid a little more but I doubt it. If you are worried about the trans fluid temp, I'd suggest an after market trans cooler you can put in front of the rad for more cooling power.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RIKIL
I was looking at an all aluminum radiator and I think I went with the aluminum radiator that has the plastic sides for the trans cooler. I didn't see it as being worth it. Really that's all you get in an all-aluminum rad...are the sides are aluminum instead of plastic. It might help to cool the trans fluid a little more but I doubt it. If you are worried about the trans fluid temp, I'd suggest an after market trans cooler you can put in front of the rad for more cooling power.
The thing is, the spot you see a radiator fail a lot is the seam between the tanks and the middle section of the radiator. Also I've never seen a 4 core direct fit plastic/aluminum radiator before.

Do you know of any?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I had the problem you are describing. The rad I had on before the one I have now I think I had for ~10 years. No on the 4-core.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
I had the problem you are describing. The rad I had on before the one I have now I think I had for ~10 years. No on the 4-core.
That's the reason why I was looking at the Champion. A 4-Core all aluminum radiator with trans-cooler fittings and original mount locations.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I have not had a problem with any type of corrosion or rusting of the rad and, now that I think of it, I wonder if it's because I use 100% coolant - no water.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
I have not had a problem with any type of corrosion or rusting of the rad and, now that I think of it, I wonder if it's because I use 100% coolant - no water.
Or if you do routine maintenance and flushes that could be it. Also, most morons use hose water and not distilled. But ethylene glycol (the chemical in antifreeze), is a **** poor conductor of heat. So thats why water is used in the mix. The boiling point is higher when its mixed with water.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:44 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GuitarJesus
Or if you do routine maintenance and flushes that could be it. Also, most morons use hose water and not distilled. But ethylene glycol (the chemical in antifreeze), is a **** poor conductor of heat. So thats why water is used in the mix. The boiling point is higher when its mixed with water.
I have not typically flushed the radiator for maintenance, but I have done it every once in a while. Just not on a regular basis.

When I had the stock fan on the motor I never had a problem with heat (I have a digital water temp gauge).

Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
I have not typically flushed the radiator for maintenance, but I have done it every once in a while. Just not on a regular basis.

When I had the stock fan on the motor I never had a problem with heat (I have a digital water temp gauge).
What fan do you have now?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
What fan do you have now?
It's one of these - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16842/overview/

That might not be the exact size but that's the brand. It's dual fan, 4000 CFM.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
It's one of these - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16842/overview/

That might not be the exact size but that's the brand. It's dual fan, 4000 CFM.
How much modifying did that take to bolt up?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:16 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
How much modifying did that take to bolt up?
No modifying. It comes with the necessary brackets and such to install it as a universal replacement. However, to make things more convenient, I did have my friend weld the brackets to the fan housing. I had originally installed it with the supplied bolts as I mentioned but found a more convenient way of permanently mounting the brackets, so I called him.

Note these pull 24 amps, and I think that's for each fan. So you'll need to get a new alternator. If you do go this route, I'd suggest converting to a 3G and getting one that has more amps than you need, just for extra room. I upgraded the stock 95 amp to a 160 amp 3G and had a 175 amp fuse between that and the battery. Upon inspection one day I noticed the fuse was twisted and the housing melted as if someone played football with it...so I was at capacity. I have since upgraded and no longer have that issue.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:19 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
No modifying. It comes with the necessary brackets and such to install it as a universal replacement. However, to make things more convenient, I did have my friend weld the brackets to the fan housing. I had originally installed it with the supplied bolts as I mentioned but found a more convenient way of permanently mounting the brackets, so I called him.

Note these pull 24 amps, and I think that's for each fan. So you'll need to get a new alternator. If you do go this route, I'd suggest converting to a 3G and getting one that has more amps than you need, just for extra room. I upgraded the stock 95 amp to a 160 amp 3G and had a 175 amp fuse between that and the battery. Upon inspection one day I noticed the fuse was twisted and the housing melted as if someone played football with it...so I was at capacity. I have since upgraded and no longer have that issue.
Curious how many CFMs a mechanical fan pulls vs these ones. The Perma-Cool setups pull 5900,,I think yours is in the 4k range, still good, but curious what stock is.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:22 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
The 3g alternator is on my list of upgrades to do. Probably buy from RJM tech and also get the headlight harness, and run LED lights everywhere but the headlights. That along with a more powerful alternator and unless my battery goes dead, I won't run out of power.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Curious how many CFMs a mechanical fan pulls vs these ones. The Perma-Cool setups pull 5900,,I think yours is in the 4k range, still good, but curious what stock is.
With the aluminum rad I have, many times in the winter the fans don't even turn on (the PMC turns them on at 180F). In the summer with the fans on, I don't think I have seen the water temp above 200F unless I sit at a signal on the hot asphalt for an extended period of time. I am happy with this setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Champion Radiators?