1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

installed Soffseal door seals today - not good - any tips??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that the Soffseal didn't work. I still haven't gotten any seals yet but I was planning on using them. Look forward to your luck with the Steele seals.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM
fbb1951
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought seals from LMC Truck. All of the door and window seals in one kit. The window seals were great, the door seals were too thick to allow the door to shut easily. The passenger door is close enough, but I had to grind a 1/16" off the striker/latch on the drivers door. With the striker/latch pieces adjusted all the way out, I can get both doors to latch with a firm slam. I hope in time the rubber will compress and take a set.

Always something new to deal with on this project. I've just had to remove the electric wiper conversion because the arms bind the motor and blow the fuze. Any threads on that problem?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Aus56
Elder User
When I got my 56, it came with a few bits and pieces. It had 2 door seals I had to fit. Unfortunately they were for the same door, passenger side. Fitted one up and it was great, door closes perfectly, no need to slam at all. Having read posts like this, I had heard of Midfifty hollow seal, so I bought one 2 weeks ago for my driver's door.

At first I had to slam it to shut it, but now it takes just a firm close. It will be interesting to see if it gets as good as the other door. Unfortunately the seals I got when I bought the 56 were not in a packet, so I do not know what brand they are but the one I fitted was great straight away. So someone out there makes good ones, just no one seems to know who. The Mid fifty ones seem like they will be alright, but no help to you unfortunately with your F1.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hollow seals from Mid Fifty work great and are easy to install.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordf5
I just ordered the set from MACS but it will be a looooong time before I can see how they fit.
.....Roger
I also ordered a set for my 49 from Macs. They were the solid type and I am not happy with them at all. The door is held out about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around. Makes it look like the door is open. I even tried using a rachet strap to pull the door shut for 2 weeks hoping the seal would form to the door but no luck. I was looking at the soft seal set next so I will be following this thread.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:58 PM
crneville
New User
Originally Posted by Holehawgg
I also ordered a set for my 49 from Macs. They were the solid type and I am not happy with them at all. The door is held out about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around. Makes it look like the door is open. I even tried using a rachet strap to pull the door shut for 2 weeks hoping the seal would form to the door but no luck. I was looking at the soft seal set next so I will be following this thread.
I just installed the drivers side door seal from Precision Replacement Parts Corp. and am having the same problem. I had to adjust the catch mechanism and the door still sticks out about 1/8 of an inch, if not a little more. It was an 1/8 of an inch in before the stripping was put on. I fought with it all day, adjusting the doors and haven’t gotten anywhere really. I’m going to try cutting the stripping down and see if that works. If not I’ll be looking into universal hollow stripping I guess.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by crneville

I just installed the drivers side door seal from Precision Replacement Parts Corp. and am having the same problem. I had to adjust the catch mechanism and the door still sticks out about 1/8 of an inch, if not a little more. It was an 1/8 of an inch in before the stripping was put on. I fought with it all day, adjusting the doors and haven’t gotten anywhere really. I’m going to try cutting the stripping down and see if that works. If not I’ll be looking into universal hollow stripping I guess.
Is your truck a 48 to 52 or 53 to 56? The original weather stripping was solid but most guys think it was better quality rubber. As said above the best buy now is the hollow weatherstripping.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:48 AM
crneville
New User
Originally Posted by abe
Is your truck a 48 to 52 or 53 to 56? The original weather stripping was solid but most guys think it was better quality rubber. As said above the best buy now is the hollow weatherstripping.
Thanks for the reply. Mine is actually a 60. I have two passenger door sets of molded stripping so I think I’m going to try shaving one down in tighter areas and see if it will fit. If not, D shaped hollow weather stripping is going to be next for sure.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I use the hollow core strips and for the most part find them to be better than the solid core. That said, I have noticed that the newer cars that use the hollow core stripping all have vent holes in the strip to permit air to escape from the hollow core when the door closes. Once closed the vent holes seal back up. At am not at the point in my current build to try making holes in the hollow core stripping but I intend to do so when I get there. These vent holes could be added to an existing installation fairly easily...I intend to use a soldering iron to make the holes.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I use the hollow core strips and for the most part find them to be better than the solid core. That said, I have noticed that the newer cars that use the hollow core stripping all have vent holes in the strip to permit air to escape from the hollow core when the door closes. Once closed the vent holes seal back up. At am not at the point in my current build to try making holes in the hollow core stripping but I intend to do so when I get there. These vent hole could be added to an existing installation fairly easily...I intend to use a soldering iron to make the holes.
Great point and idea Charlie