Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your dual shocks or your boat!

Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Show me your dual shocks or your boat!

Hi all, I'm lifting the ex from my current 5in lift to 6in. Now thinking of replacing my Bilstein 5100's to dual or going with dual 5160's. Any thoughts? Has anyone gone with dual shocks and hate it?

Here is a pic of what I'm looking for.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17532
Size:  414.6 KB

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-08-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought of getting dual front shocks when my 4" BDS lift gets put on in just over a week, however, I could not find a benefit for the expense of doing it. I do LOVE how they look, and maybe someday down the road I will do the upgrade. That setup in the picture looks awesome! Good luck if you decide to go with it!

This bad boy has a dual setup, but it is jacked up so high, I think it would be a bear to drive...

2003 Ford Excursion - Custom Diesel Trucks - 8-Lug Magazine

Also, there seems to be a FABTECH kit for this type of dual shock setup: 5.5" Front Dual Shock System w/ Dirt Logic 2.25 Resi Shocks - 1999-04 Ford F250/F350 & 2000-05 Excursion 4WD

Not cheap though...

Old 04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Yeah, I've taken a look at those... I love the look and really not looking at pricing just want to find the cleanest and best out there. I just don't know much about them.
What I'd like to accomplish is a little stiffer front end for better cornering and a kick azz look. Lol

Old 04-05-2014, 03:27 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Yeah, I've taken a look at those... I love the look and really not looking at pricing just want to find the cleanest and best out there. I just don't know much about them.
What I'd like to accomplish is a little stiffer front end for better cornering and a kick azz look. Lol
You already have the kick azz look in spades I can only imagine how it could get better, but like you, I like the look of the double setup, but not sure how it would affect the ride...

Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I think Tylus put dual shocks on the front of his. You may want to check through his build thread. Carli suspension also has custom 5160's available. May want to give them a call for more information.

Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems for 2005-20012 F250/F350 4x4 trucks

Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,128 Likes on 1,681 Posts
Michael I don't think your X can get any nicer but you're the one that's in love so go for it, she's a black beauty!!....

Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
I'd have to agree with Gigger!!

I have dual Fox's on mine. There fantasic BUT when I bring them in for a rebuild I'll be valving a little bit softer. Little bit hard at slow speeds with speed bumps. On the flip side I can say it rides/drives better than any lifted 250/350 I've driven. Pulling my trailer I can take a hand off the wheel and she goes straight as an arrow at hwy speeds. I've driven her pretty hard off road as well and soaks up big bumps with the feel of the wheels still being on the dirt for steering. If you know what I mean. Cornering at high speeds is stable with virtually no body roll. The rear will almost always want to break loose before the front end will push. Ya, I drive it hard, I know but I take good care of her!!
Here's a pic, not the best and uses a different mounting system for the top of the shocks. "Hoops" rather than the bracket.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
What lift did you end up going with?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Az_Ray
What lift did you end up going with?
Since, I found out I have a modded OEM x codes I have a local company that will mod those with another leaf to get the extra inch I'm looking for giving me 6 inches of total lift. When or if I go to 37's I can always do a hanger, shackle or an extra leaf at that time. For the rear we will just add a bigger block only need a half inch or so there to maintain the factory rake after the front increase.

My ride now is very good, so I'm afraid of losing it with another lift although I wouldn't mind stiffening it a bit more with shocks.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
For the rear we will just add a bigger block only need a half inch or so there to maintain the factory rake after the front increase.
Do you have rear traction bars? If not, I strongly suggest going with the One Up Offroad lift block/traction bar. It's a one piece design that completely eliminates rear axle wrap while providing an exceptionally strong platform with a lift block.

OUO Traction Block & Traction Bar - Riffraff Diesel Performance

OUO is the best, in my opinion. I have this exact setup on my F250.

Stewart

Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You can see the bars in the pic, but not the lift block portion of the bar.

This setup works fantastic for me when trailering, daily driving, running the dunes at Pismo, or pounding the pavement when I run the 1320. There is absolutely ZERO axle wrap. And I'm launching hard when at the track.

Stewart

Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Never heard of these, they look amazing. I'll call Monday to get the details on block taper needed, bump stop for my airbags etc. thanks for the info

Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
There is absolutely ZERO axle wrap. And I'm launching hard when at the track.

Stewart
Brother it's a 7.3 you mean while your eating your lunch down the track

Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Great advice Stewart and nice looking truck! Reps if I could, but in jail at the moment... My Ex does not really need the traction bars, but I like the look of them and have them on the future buy list!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Dual shocks are neat! They also really stiffen up the ride (I'm also running 4 of the cheapest Monroe shocks I could find...). My cornering stability is amazing. My X rode pretty nicely after the "F" Codes swap and upgrades to front leafs...but the Quad shocks tied it all together.

Did I mention it rides a bit rough? Like a truck almost...oh wait...
A lot of guys naysay the idea. I wonder how many realize that Ford offered this as an option on the F-150/Bronco from 92-96 for trucks with camper/trailer package? It really helps out at times

anyways, Quad shock setups like mine are stupid easy to install. remove shocks...remove OEM mount bolts...install new mount with OEM bolts...install 2 shocks per side. It takes about 30 minutes per side.

I used these guys. Quality product with nice welds. http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-FORD-Excursion-4X4-Dual-Front-Shock-Bracket-Mount-/121107572893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AExcursion&hash=item1c3292e89d&vxp=mtr

edit: here is a pic from today. they aren't real visible...and I'm considering painting them black to "hide" them so to speak. I'm trying to avoid problems during my yearly Inspection. The less the X looks lifted...the more likely I will pass. It isn't real obvious that she is over 7' tall until you are right up on it. Sneaky so to speak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show me your dual shocks or your boat!