EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

ecoboost engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM
cdat81986
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ecoboost engine failure

just thought id share my first experience owning my first new vehicle, and my 5th ford pickup. saturday feb 22 i traded in my near flawless 2006 2500hd 6.0 for a new 2013 f150 with the ecoboost mainly for the increase in fuel mileage. i was only getting 10.5 in mixed with the chevy.

the new truck had 30 miles on it when i took delivery. drove it to dinner that night, ran a few errands sunday and to work and back monday. on the way home from work i noticed a knocking sound at low rpm that would start just off idle and increase to about 1500 rpm, after that i couldnt hear it.

totally blown and pissed off i went into work late tuesday after dropping off the truck back at the dealer. i get a call today and they tell me that the number 4 wrist pin is loose and causing the noise and have ordered a new engine for it.

i owned the truck for 2 days and less than 250 miles i had an engine failure. they told me the engine will be at the dealer in about a week and a half and they will call me when its ready to install.

they also took a borescope to look at the cylinder and didnt see any damage so they released the truck back to me to continue driving until the engine showed up. the truck still drives great just knocks a bit. its not my only vehicle so im going to let it sit until they call me to come back.

new car manager apologized and cut me a check for my first truck payment which is ok by me. i understand these are mass produced engines and hopefully the new one will be trouble free.

what an experience for buying my first brand new vehicle............

Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mechanical items will fail. Unfortunately this happened on your very new truck. Fortunately it's under warranty and it sounds like you have a stand up dealer. Luckily you arent stranded or without support from the dealer. Sucks that your new baby has issues but in no time it'll be fixed and you'll be enjoying your new ride like you should.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM
cdat81986
Junior User
yeah tell me about it, it sure is disappointing, but i'm sure it will be fixed as good as new. the dealership i purchased from is really awesome! the new car manager also said she would have the truck fully detailed again before returning it to me when i take it back for the engine replacement.

i gotta say i'm really impressed with the power the engine has bone stock. when i picked up the truck i was asking my service writer about simple mods like an intake and catback exhaust and he said they most likely wouldn't void any warranty coverage but i'm still wary of it. i have no idea what it would cost to out of pocket to fix my truck, but i know it isn't cheap.

as far as tuning he said best thing to do is wait till out of warranty, with the pcm encryption and ford being super picky about warranty claims its asking for trouble. i think ill take his word for it

Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You're right about the stock power.
I came from a tuned 2006 F150 5.4L running 93 octane tunes and that truck wouldn't keep up with my new truck. The 2006 was 3.73 geared too, as the Plat is 3.31s. Night and day difference.

The intake won't be necessary, unless you just like the looks of it. The stock intake, while unattractive, does flow more air than the engine needs. The exhaust can be beneficial, but the good ones are pricey (i.e.: Corsa, Stainless Works, Solo Performance). The other aftermarket kits sound too ricey on the EB.

I'd let your warranty expire before dropping tunes in this truck, that is unless you have the $9k or so in your pockets to fork over in the event that the engine fails with a tune on it.

Congrats on the new truck. Sounds like the dealer is going to make this right for you.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Sounds like you do have a really great dealer who wants to treat you right!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
WOW!! This is a sour grapes to fine wine story! So sorry for the engine failure, it's extremely rare for sure. Your dealer is one to forge a long time relationship with. I hope you take the time to tell Ford Motor Company about your unfortunate experience and how your dealer stood tall and handled your case.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM
cdat81986
Junior User
Yeah i think they have handled it well, the new car manager called me and said she would throw in an extended warrant that no additional cost, which I'm happy about. The service manager also called and asked us to bring the truck back to the dealer until the long block comes in. He said that the truck should have never been released to us due to liability. So we have a ecoboost xlt explorer. My wife loves it lol.

While I'm satisfied with how the dealer has handled the situation the reactions haven't been so good. A lot of people at work tell me I'm ABSOLUTELY CRAZY for even accepting the truck back with a new engine. Everyone says that they should "buy back" the vehicle and give me a new comparable truck at the same price.

One of my good friends dad's friend is a new car manager at a chevy dealership and he said that there's no way they would give the customer back a vehicle that has less than 300 miles and has had the engine replaced. He tells me that the truck should be resold with knowledge to any potential buyers of the engine replacement.

My wife is agreeing with everyone else saying I'm crazy for taking the truck back and it's caused quite a few arguments in the last week. I keep telling her that I can't MAKE them take it back , so I dunno what to do.

My wife is really pissed cause when we put the down payment at the dealer they withdrew it TWICE from her account and caused her card to bounce and bills that she had scheduled came out and her account over drafted all because of someone's mistake at the dealer.

My wife actually wrote ford and sent them a certified letter saying how pissed she was about the whole situation. In 6 days we actually had to make 5 trips to the dealer all for different reasons. And we live 50 miles from this dealer.

Hopefully everything works out for the best........ Stay tuned

Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by cdat81986
Yeah i think they have handled it well, the new car manager called me and said she would throw in an extended warrant that no additional cost, which I'm happy about. The service manager also called and asked us to bring the truck back to the dealer until the long block comes in. He said that the truck should have never been released to us due to liability. So we have a ecoboost xlt explorer. My wife loves it lol.

While I'm satisfied with how the dealer has handled the situation the reactions haven't been so good. A lot of people at work tell me I'm ABSOLUTELY CRAZY for even accepting the truck back with a new engine. Everyone says that they should "buy back" the vehicle and give me a new comparable truck at the same price.

One of my good friends dad's friend is a new car manager at a chevy dealership and he said that there's no way they would give the customer back a vehicle that has less than 300 miles and has had the engine replaced. He tells me that the truck should be resold with knowledge to any potential buyers of the engine replacement.

My wife is agreeing with everyone else saying I'm crazy for taking the truck back and it's caused quite a few arguments in the last week. I keep telling her that I can't MAKE them take it back , so I dunno what to do.

My wife is really pissed cause when we put the down payment at the dealer they withdrew it TWICE from her account and caused her card to bounce and bills that she had scheduled came out and her account over drafted all because of someone's mistake at the dealer.

My wife actually wrote ford and sent them a certified letter saying how pissed she was about the whole situation. In 6 days we actually had to make 5 trips to the dealer all for different reasons. And we live 50 miles from this dealer.

Hopefully everything works out for the best........ Stay tuned
My stepson had a Nissan Altima that needed a new engine after a few thousand miles. Nissan offered him a new engine and a very lengthy comprehensive extended warranty. He stomped his feet and got a new car instead. I advised him to take the warranty and new engine. An overall better dealer in the long run.

The people that your listening to have their opinions and that's fine. If it were me, I'd no doubt be pissed but to have a warranty that covers me for say 100K miles or more is more appealing to me than a truck that has no miles and the standard cheesy factory warranty.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM
cdat81986
Junior User
I haven't seen anything in writing yet but the warranty that ford is giving me is 5 year 75000 mile warranty that covers a lot more "goodies" than the factory warranty covers according to the new car manager.

I don't plan on making any more trips to that dealer until my truck is ready to pickup.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Beechkid
Stop and think about this for a minute.......

You get your new truck back with an extended warranty and a new engine off the production floor or...

get a new vehicle with the same engine off the production floor with 1/2 the warranty for the same price........

IMHO, you need to sit back and do some basic math!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM
cdat81986
Junior User
Oh believe me I've done the math and am totally ok with how the dealership has handled this situation. I used to to fix cars at Chrysler and know how the service part of a dealer works.

It's everyone else around me that thinks that my new truck isn't new anymore and it's basically been "molested" by having a new engine installed.

Some people just don't have a clue. I'm not one of those people...... It's not like they intentionally sold me a truck with a bad engine

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by cdat81986
Oh believe me I've done the math and am totally ok with how the dealership has handled this situation. I used to to fix cars at Chrysler and know how the service part of a dealer works.

It's everyone else around me that thinks that my new truck isn't new anymore and it's basically been "molested" by having a new engine installed.

Some people just don't have a clue. I'm not one of those people...... It's not like they intentionally sold me a truck with a bad engine
I'm glad you have a very clear picture...I typically don't respond to posting that have this subject content but I really was concerned you might be motivated to make a decision that was really not in your best interest.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
cdat81986
Junior User
nope i think im good lol. now i just gotta play the waiting game to get the truck back.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
stangman05gt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had an 11 ECO that had alot of problems. Ford kept fixing it and added a 75000 mile warranty plus 100,000 miles on the drivetrain. I eventually got tired of "fixes" and traded in on a 13 eco. I have to say that FORD went above and beyond to help me, including giving me back 3 months of payments. I would take the extended warranty with the new engine personally.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM
cdat81986
Junior User
got my truck back yesterday! they did a really clean job, couldnt even tell a new engine had been installed other than the paint missing from the hood bolts when they removed the hood.

the long block cost was $8100
warranty paid the tech 19.75 hrs

out of pocket i couldnt imagne what this would cost.... im sure the book time pays more than 19.75 hrs

probably 12000 or more im thinking

Quick Reply: ecoboost engine failure