2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Own a 99 Expy thinking of buying a 2007+

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
rexpedition99
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Own a 99 Expy thinking of buying a 2007+

As the tittle says, I own a '99 Expy with about 230k on it and it is starting to show its age. So I am thinking of selling it and buying a 2007 or newer Expy.

I have a friend that can buy from the auction, so I was thinking of going with him sometime to try to find a decent deal.

Can you 2007+ owners tell me what to look out for?

So far I have read about the plugs breaking off, paint bubbling on the rear hatch and hood, cam phaser and VCT issues.

How can I tell if it has the cam phaser/VCT issue?

Is there anything else to look out for?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
amstel78
Freshman User
I have a 2008, and the only problems to date have been the transmission OD clutch pack squawk, which only happens during a forced downshift. I also have paint bubbling and flaking off the edge of the rear hatch. No rust underneath the paint though as the metal appears to be galvanized.

Edit: I do believe the cam phaser issue was limited to 4.6L and 5.4L 3 valve motors from 2004-2005. I haven't heard of this issue for later models. Maybe I'm wrong? My truck has 76k miles on it and have not heard any knocking noise. I've used my Expedition to drive across country and tow a 6000 pound trailer without issue.

...now that I've said it, watch my motor develop a phaser knock soon.. lol..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by amstel78
No rust underneath the paint though as the metal appears to be galvanized.
It isn't galvanized, it is aluminum.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM
amstel78
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
It isn't galvanized, it is aluminum.
Wow, didn't know that. Learn something new every day...

Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
The hood is too. The bubbling is caused by the aluminum oxidizing because of poor prep at the factory.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
amstel78
Freshman User
The hood is too. The bubbling is caused by the aluminum oxidizing because of poor prep at the factory.
I was planning on hitting the area with a brass wire wheel to get the rest of the loose paint off, then hitting the area with black spray paint and a coat of clear. I guess I'll have to rethink that.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM
rexpedition99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by amstel78
I have a 2008, and the only problems to date have been the transmission OD clutch pack squawk, which only happens during a forced downshift. I also have paint bubbling and flaking off the edge of the rear hatch. No rust underneath the paint though as the metal appears to be galvanized.

Edit: I do believe the cam phaser issue was limited to 4.6L and 5.4L 3 valve motors from 2004-2005. I haven't heard of this issue for later models. Maybe I'm wrong? My truck has 76k miles on it and have not heard any knocking noise. I've used my Expedition to drive across country and tow a 6000 pound trailer without issue.

...now that I've said it, watch my motor develop a phaser knock soon.. lol..
Thanks for replying, actually after writing my original post I sort of noticed that the cam phaser issue seemed to be more on the F150 side, although maybe the 2004-2005 Expy too, I'll have to look for that.

The paint issues kinda sucks, how long does it take to show? I mean if I am buying an '07 or '08 it should either be showing, or it was already fixed right?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rexpedition99

The paint issues kinda sucks, how long does it take to show? I mean if I am buying an '07 or '08 it should either be showing, or it was already fixed right?

They all have it, ALL. It is a matter of whether or not it comes out onto surfaces you can see. I drove my '03 for 10 years and it never came out from the rolled over seam on the inside lower edge. My '04 has had it come through in two places at two different times (2007 by the window latch, and 2009 by the strip above the license plate, both common areas, both spot repaired for $500 each time). My 2010 has it on the rolled seam. I'm going to look at a 2011 Wednesday and I'll bet it is there too.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM
amstel78
Freshman User
Well since the rear hatch is aluminum rather than metal, if you have paint flaking there, it's more of an eyesore than a cause for concern regarding corrosion. Fortunately, in my case, the flaking paint is only on the inside lip of the hatch, so it can't be seen from the outside. If I can prep the area to have paint bond to it, then I'll just do that rather than take it to a body shop.

I guess I'm lucky that my Expy is black; makes it easier to match the paint.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM
rexpedition99
Mountain Pass
They all have it, ALL. It is a matter of whether or not it comes out onto surfaces you can see. I drove my '03 for 10 years and it never came out from the rolled over seam on the inside lower edge. My '04 has had it come through in two places at two different times (2007 by the window latch, and 2009 by the strip above the license plate, both common areas, both spot repaired for $500 each time). My 2010 has it on the rolled seam. I'm going to look at a 2011 Wednesday and I'll bet it is there too.
Wow, you've owned a lot of Expy's. Did you start having problems with each one, or do you just not like driving older cars?

Any year Expy you wish you would have kept?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I bought the 99 new, drove it 4 years and 100k miles when the 03's came out. Had to have one, so bought that one new, drove it 10 years and 185k miles. I 2007 I bought the 04 from my brother for my wife, and started running two Expeditions at the same time. She drove that 6 years and 50k until 2013 when we sold the 03 and bought the 10. I've been driving the 04 since then but really like the 10, so now I'm in the market for Expedition #5. They have all been good for the most part. The 99 and 03 both had leaking heads, and the 03 ate up a transfer case at 175k, but other than that no big mechanical issues. I think they offer a margin of safety you can't find in a smaller vehicle.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
mlpd_blue
New User
Expedition Purchase

We bought a '07 Eddie Bauer Expedition 3 years ago with 55,000 plus miles on it. We have been EXTREMELY happy with it.

No issues with paint peeling or oxidizing as in other posts and we live in Arizona where it is subjected to brutal temps and direct sunlight daily.

Only common problems with the 5.4L that I am aware of is the spark plugs becoming seized in the cylinder heads if you wait the 100,000 miles to replace them as recommended by Ford. I replaced mine at 60,000 at the advice of several mechanics, the internet and the Ford dealer. None of the plugs were seized and needed to be drilled out when they replaced them, but I now have some peace of mind with that issue.

I had a warped exhaust manifold at 82,000 miles that caused an exhaust leak; broken ac/heat actuators for the rear (2nd and 3rd row). I had the issues fixed and it cost me a $100 deductible since I got the extended warranty.

I have towed a 7900 lb (loaded weight), 29 ft Travel Trailer, from Phoenix to Seattle without issue. I kept the overdrive off and kept it at 60 mph. If I was to make that long of a trip, or was a full time RV'r then I would upgrade to a 7.3L Excursion or an F-250. The Expedition made the trip just fine, but it was a work out for her.

Overall, the Expedition has been a great vehicle. It is the most comfortable and smoothest riding vehicle that I have owned. We love the fact that it has separate driver and passenger climate controls since I like mine set at "regular" and my wife likes hers set at "extra crispy"!!

Best of luck in your search!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM
cstanley44
Senior User
I have no regrets with my 08.
If you can find one, get the EL. Its longer, and has room behind the 3rd row when in the up position.

I have an Explorer with the 3rd row too, and when I take 7 people, I have no room for their 'stuff'

With the EL, I take 7 or 8 and still have room for luggage and strollers out back.

As for paint, I had one small spot on the lip of the hood. It was painted under an insurance job when the arm of a parking garage came down on the hood.

I do have some rust starting on the roof in the rain channels right above the windshield. Ive seen others mention this, Id be curious if you all go check to see. Passenger side is worse than the drivers on mine. I need to get that repaired asap.

Interior is great. Only complaints are
- rear AC comes out of the roof vents, heat comes out of floor vents. No option to change that.
- memory mirrors have a mind of their own sometimes

Transmissions are known to have some issues. Nothing major for me but just be aware.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cstanley44
I have no regrets with my 08.
If you can find one, get the EL. Its longer, and has room behind the 3rd row when in the up position.

I have an Explorer with the 3rd row too, and when I take 7 people, I have no room for their 'stuff'

With the EL, I take 7 or 8 and still have room for luggage and strollers out back.

As for paint, I had one small spot on the lip of the hood. It was painted under an insurance job when the arm of a parking garage came down on the hood.

I do have some rust starting on the roof in the rain channels right above the windshield. Ive seen others mention this, Id be curious if you all go check to see. Passenger side is worse than the drivers on mine. I need to get that repaired asap.

Interior is great. Only complaints are
- rear AC comes out of the roof vents, heat comes out of floor vents. No option to change that.
- memory mirrors have a mind of their own sometimes

Transmissions are known to have some issues. Nothing major for me but just be aware.
How bad is the rust on your roof rails? Can you post a pic?

I had some small spots of rust coming through on the rails and had it fixed under warranty, what a nightmare. They had to paint the entire roof and rear quarter panels, twice, as the body shops employees left dents from kneeling on the roof as they prepped it.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM
cstanley44
Senior User
I never even tried to get ford to look at this. Its surface rust, there's no holes. Thats the problem I had ford on other vehicles, there has to be rust though. The rest of the truck is immaculate. (sorry for the yellow pollen, its frigging everywhere! and I cant breath though my nose)

Quick Reply: Own a 99 Expy thinking of buying a 2007+