1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ideas for help getting into the truck?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Yea I know I am carpet bombing....oh do not get me started. Bombs away....

Lets ALL go here and say hello.....

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: 67Camarodude

Old 01-26-2014, 09:41 AM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so aside from the pissing match..

Has anyone fabbed up steps that can be easily be removed? I know the power steps fold in but good lord are they expensive and not made for a standard cab dent. My plan is to bolt a mounting plate to the frame and allow the step to slide on. Maybe use square tubing and hitch pins? That way when its just you the steps can be removed and they wont cause any damage wheeling.

For newer trucks you can buy steps that fold in and under the truck when not using them. Im sure you could fab one up to fit on a dent under the door. These would be a way to go if you are big on fabrication.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by 67Camarodude
I belong to a lot of other forums and I see your type all the time, we call you a "carpet bomber", your sole goal is to build up post count. You post a ton of replies, but very few of them are meaningful, most are just filler, or completely ridiculous altogether. I've watched this forum long enough to see most people just ignore you, you'd be better served if you just posted the good stuff and left the crap at home.

Funny you mention this, since that is EXACTLY what YOU are doing. What's a chevy guy doing in a Ford site, anyway?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Check these out. Super simple idea, dirt cheap and very effective. These were on my monster truck when I bought it.

It's just a 3" sling cut and bolted to the seat mounts. You flop it out the door when you want it, and stuff it under the seat when you don't.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is actually not such a bad idea. You might could even get the ol lady to turn around backwards in it

Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
That is actually not such a bad idea. You might could even get the ol lady to turn around backwards in it
What you do in your private time is up to you!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Alan. Meet Allen

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Great name, ...but you spelled it wrong!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen people weld a chain on for a flexy step, but I went with some grab handles from a junk yard to help people get in.

And...a 5 gallon bucket when the need arises.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Westcoast Highboy
Tuned
Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
I went with the Carr aluminum hoops (Hoop II me thinks?). They were for an 80' and up model but I did some mods to the mounting brackets to make them fit. I also added a support bar for the mounting bracket that bolts to the floor board about 12" in from the rocker flange so that there is some extra support. They worked out really well and no flexing with the modified mount.

My truck also had aluminum grab handles mounted to the cab behind the doors which were on the truck when I bought it. I intend to remove them eventually and weld up the holes as they don't really do anything.

On my passenger side interior, there is a small aluminum grab handle bolted vertically to the dash just to the right of the glove box opening. That is frequently used by the wife so she can pull herself up when she gets in.

The hoops look "period correct" and work really well cause at 6' even I found getting in a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by Westcoast Highboy; 01-26-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 844 Likes on 763 Posts
I assume "goosing" the passenger is not an option...

On my 87 I installed a step so wifey could get in. Doesn't look that great but...

Talking about step ladders, guy I know with a 79 4x4 would pick his wife up. Out came the step ladder (she was preggers at the time)

Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by earthquake68
Check these out. Super simple idea, dirt cheap and very effective. These were on my monster truck when I bought it.

It's just a 3" sling cut and bolted to the seat mounts. You flop it out the door when you want it, and stuff it under the seat when you don't.
That's a cool idea, but it looks like the seat belt didn't retract.
Love the truck and the step.

I'm going to put the Carr Hoop II's on my truck but I like the idea of making them easily removable. Thanks Steven!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Good lord I am being cyber bullied....in the ol days we were just men about it and handled it accordingly..........

Wait for it........................

Bam!

On the race track! Or bumper to bumper and a 10" piece of log chain and some 4 low action. lol
Yeah don't worry about that nonsense. I actually did appreciate what you posted, I thought it was useful. I like the idea of up behind the seat though, I think I'm going to play around with that idea.

I've seen those factory slide out steps too, but the issue with that is that it's still a pretty long way up to that step. If I remember right, the step isn't very far below the rocker.

Thanks again though man

Originally Posted by 61steven
Okay so aside from the pissing match..

Has anyone fabbed up steps that can be easily be removed? I know the power steps fold in but good lord are they expensive and not made for a standard cab dent. My plan is to bolt a mounting plate to the frame and allow the step to slide on. Maybe use square tubing and hitch pins? That way when its just you the steps can be removed and they wont cause any damage wheeling.

For newer trucks you can buy steps that fold in and under the truck when not using them. Im sure you could fab one up to fit on a dent under the door. These would be a way to go if you are big on fabrication.
That's a good idea as well, I just couldn't think of any ways to make it *easily* removable. I suppose the hitch pin thing would be a good way, but it might be a pain in winter months.

Originally Posted by earthquake68

Man that is simple, did you leave those on there? If so, how are they holding up?

Sweet truck by the way, I remember seeing it when you first got it and she sure has come a long way. Nice work

Originally Posted by psychlopath
I've seen people weld a chain on for a flexy step, but I went with some grab handles from a junk yard to help people get in.

And...a 5 gallon bucket when the need arises.
Yeah, I had thought of the chain thing, but then I saw a truck with them and didn't really like the look. Maybe they'd look good on a dent though, hmm...

Originally Posted by Westcoast Highboy
I went with the Carr aluminum hoops (Hoop II me thinks?). They were for an 80' and up model but I did some mods to the mounting brackets to make them fit. I also added a support bar for the mounting bracket that bolts to the floor board about 12" in from the rocker flange so that there is some extra support. They worked out really well and no flexing with the modified mount.

My truck also had aluminum grab handles mounted to the cab behind the doors which were on the truck when I bought it. I intend to remove them eventually and weld up the holes as they don't really do anything.

On my passenger side interior, there is a small aluminum grab handle bolted vertically to the dash just to the right of the glove box opening. That is frequently used by the wife so she can pull herself up when she gets in.

The hoops as they look "period correct" and work really well cause at 6' even I found getting in a bit of a stretch.
How low do those steps hang? (Never mind, just saw your sig picture). Also, do you have any pictures of the grab handle on the dash? How's that holding up? Thanks man

Old 01-26-2014, 01:01 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
The only thing with the soft strap/chain step idea is and I have seen this before, if you get in a hurry the strap can swing under the truck and you bang your knee/shin on the rocker. Ouch!

Wow Alan looks different with the tractor tires versus boggers.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I could definitely see that being an issue... Especially for the people who are the reason I'm needing to make some sort of assistance for getting in lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas for help getting into the truck?