Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Diesel shop advise…please…

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel shop advise…please…

Hey FTE Family...I'm really needing some help here.

I’m in Shelbyville, Indiana and since it’s pretty cold out there right now, us DIY in the driveway guys are pretty much out of luck if we have “urgent” repairs required.

I do my own work on my truck, but I do not have an indoor facility to work on my truck and it just so happens that my oil cooler is plugged.

When I can watch my oil temp rise as much as 50° higher than my coolant temp, I know I’m on borrowed time.

I know the names of a couple local shops but I don’t want to ask specifics about them because I don’t want to run the risk of sounding slanderous which is definitely NOT my intention.

So unless someone here has the $$$$$ to donate me the funds to build a pole barn with a lift, I really need a local shop to do the work, anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Cole Neese
Senior User
The solution to your problem: Buy a gas truck. Lol just kidding.
I've heard pretty good things about Scheid diesel over here in Terre Haute but I don't know for sure because I don't own a diesel and have never been there. it's a fairly long drive from Shelbyville though. And the guy's I've talked to that were satisfied with their work aren't exactly mechanics so who knows what it might actually be like. That's really the only big diesel shop that I've heard of, sorry I couldn't help more if you need something closer.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Cole Neese
The solution to your problem: Buy a gas truck. Lol just kidding.
I've heard pretty good things about Scheid diesel over here in Terre Haute but I don't know for sure because I don't own a diesel and have never been there. it's a fairly long drive from Shelbyville though. And the guy's I've talked to that were satisfied with their work aren't exactly mechanics so who knows what it might actually be like. That's really the only big diesel shop that I've heard of, sorry I couldn't help more if you need something closer.
Yeah Scheid Diesel is a TOP notch shop, but the location and timing are just off for me.

I'm looking at Superior Towing and Auto in Shelbyville for the work.

Anyone used them or heard any reports about them?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Splash67
Yeah Scheid Diesel is a TOP notch shop, but the location and timing are just off for me.

I'm looking at Superior Towing and Auto in Shelbyville for the work.

Anyone used them or heard any reports about them?
They did a good job at a good price.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Splash67
They did a good job at a good price.
UPDATE: the day I picked up the truck I was stranded two miles down the road because they didn't tighten the fuel lines to the fuel bowl and filter. I should have known better but at the time I thought it was a simple miscue...

Shortly after they did the initial work, I started experiencing multiple issues. I found that they either did not do a coolant flush or they flushed the coolant incorrectly. When I emptied it out it looked just like oil.

To make a long story short I ended up having to do a complete HG job and additional oil cooler replacement (and other assorted repairs)...myself in my own garage/driveway.

As I am a professional, I will refrain from further comment in a public forum, but I'll gladly answer specific questions about my experience via personal email or FTE PM.