Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

78 F250 SuperCab

Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
isaac3384
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 F250 SuperCab

I picked this beast up about a month and a half ago in trade for a couple old guns that were just collecting dust. It has 86k original miles on the factory 400/c6, and is is darn good shape for being a farm/ranch truck. It was kept in the barn and primarily driven on the farm; that being said, it has never had a license plate mounted on it, it has never had tail lights, and it has never even been registered! The interior needs a little work (front seat, dash pad, and headlinerare all showing signs of their age), and the paint is a little rough, but those are just minor details. All of the typical rust spots are as solid as a rock, but have some surface rust. When I picked her up, she hadn't ran in about 2 years. I dropped the tank to clean it out only to find that it was clean and dry. I used an old liquor bottle as a 'catch can' of sorts when I purged the fuel line with air, and there was absolutely nothing in the line. I found a break in the wire that energizes the starter solenoid, repaired that, installed a new battery and dumped some gas down the carb and she fired right up. I still need to change all the fluids and replace the fuel filter, but she runs like a champ. The heater even works on it!

As far as my plans are concerned, it will receive air ride (for ride quality, and parking low), some mods to the flat bed to make it more useful (like under body boxes, one of which will hold my air compressors and valves), 3" drop beams to get it a little lower, a dually conversion, and milled down 22.5s or 24.5s. I'm also considering the Eagle Alloy 20" direct bolt on dually wheels to keep cost down. The interior will be restored back to factory, and I still havent made up my mind on the color it will be.

The headache rack is already gone, and has been replaced by 6" chrome miter cut stacks that are flush with the roof line. They are basically flush with the top corners of the cab. I don't like the stacks that stick way out like a sore thumb, but I do like stacks. This build will kind of be farm truck meets restomod. Most of my friends don't approve, but they aren't funding the build, so I really don't care...lol

Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM
isaac3384
New User
The pic of the chevy is just an example of what im going for...its not my truck, nor did I have any part in building it.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 PM
BigBadCHP
Junior User
I like it! The metallic blue interior with the white is kinda sharp too. Exterior paint matching the dash is what I'd probably do

Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
isaac3384
New User
Thanks BigBadCHP. I just sent an email to KP Concepts about getting a digital rendering of this beast. I've also been talking to a couple different shops/businesses about sponsorships for the components I'll be using. Ultimately, this truck will be a weekend warrior/ show goer, but if I need to go pick up some firewood or a fence panel, or whatever, I won't be scared to do it...partially because I own a couple trailers...lol

Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 PM
isaac3384
New User

I have decided to run 22.5" steel wheels. I picked up two yesterday to use for mock up that have 2 hand holes. I plan on getting a cheap, used 22" tire mounted on it sometime soon to make sure that what I've read is true, that a 22" tire will stretch enough to safely seat on a 22.5" wheel. There are a couple guys I've talked to that have successfully done this. I know it's not the right thing to do, but the truck won't be driven much once it's done. If it works, these wheels will be the rear inner wheels. The outters will have 5 hand holes, as will the front. I dont have adapters yet, so the pics are of the wheel held in place against the rotor with a floor jack. First pic is where I want my ride height, and the second pic is about where it will be when aired out.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
isaac3384
New User
I removed the plastic inner fenders and found a bunch of 'vacant real estate', so depending on how far the drop beams let me travel, thats where it will sit when aired out. I also replaced the master cylinder, bled the brakes, greased the front bearings and replaced the seals, had the rotors turned, replaced the pads, shoes, and wheel cylinders while I was at it...the whole brake system has been flushed and works great. My only issue is that when I press the brake pedal, 1: I have to pull it back up with my toe, and 2: my engine rpms go way down and it acts like it wants to stall. There is a vacuum canister that isn't connected; could that be the issue, or would that be booster related? I also got one of my glass packs installed, so one stack is complete. My girlfriend only ordered one for me for Christmas. ..waiting on the other one now, then I'll finish the exhaust and post some pics. I also have a good lead on a company that makes the 8-10 lug adapters, and will custom make the ones for the front for the proper offset. I'll be going in a week or two to pick up mthe other 4 wheels, then I will get the tires. With tax returns I'll get the adapters, mount some temporary taillights and get the rest of my lights working, then get it on the road. The only downfall I have found is that the 22.5s will not work with a factory suspension setup. I will only run outters on the rear until I get the 2 link and air bag setup completed. There is enough room to fit the wheels and not rub the frame, but the leaf springs are in the way since they are mounted on the outside of the frame...

Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 PM
isaac3384
New User
This project is being aborted...my dad and I are going to trade trucks. Around memorial day I will be getting a 76 f250 highboy that has been in my family since 1980. My dad wants mine because it has a flat bed and is 2wd. He is on a fixed income and does side work for extra cash. Due to his age, its getting increasingly difficult for him to operate out of a 4wd.

The 22.5s I purchased for this project will be turned into end tables for my living room. I'll take lots of pics throughout the build of the tables and start a build thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 PM
BigBadCHP
Junior User
Too bad you're going in a different direction, I was hoping to see the end product

I would choose the family highboy over that truck though too! Good out comes both ways