Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

December All Topic/Off Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
December All Topic/Off Topic Thread

Just thought I'd get one started since everybody must still be in Turkey overload--LOL

3 Weeks to Christmas

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
3 Weeks to Christmas
Uhg...... don't remind me :-(

Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty slow week around here. Anybody getting iced/snowed in yet?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would you look at that, a stranger started the monthly thread. Good to see you in here Tim.
Originally Posted by cookie88
Pretty slow week around here. Anybody getting iced/snowed in yet?
The bridges/elevated surfaces are starting to get exciting. The surface roads are still wet. But with a low of 16F in the morning...and 7F for Saturday morning I'm sure it's going to get worse. Wonder if I should plug the truck in...just in case.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking in

I took Jeff's advice and moved my camper around the side of the house and got her plugged in and ready in the event we have to move in.

So I took the propane cylinders up to Ferrell gas this afternoon only to find that they are both completely full.. DOH.. I've used this thing off and on for the last 8 years and apparently they go a lot farther than I realized.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tojoski
So I took the propane cylinders up to Ferrell gas this afternoon only to find that they are both completely full.. DOH.. I've used this thing off and on for the last 8 years and apparently they go a lot farther than I realized.
Our 5th wheel has two 30# on it, back in July I filled both of them for the road trip so not only could we cook but the fridge would stay cold while traveling. I don't know how much gas the fridge needs to function with but it must be very sparingly...I know one is still full. I did discover while prepping the trailer for storage that apparently the two deep cycles weren't getting a charge everytime the trailer was plugged in to shore power...they were dead last month when I dropped the trailer. And they were brand new in April. Guess I'm going to put one of those trickle chargers on them to see if I can bring them back to life before spring.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
That happened to moms camper a couple years back and I had to replace the inverter. It acted like it was working, but wouldn't let the batteries charge.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Well I was hoping we'd get by this ice storm without damage. Wishful thinking...when a limb snapped an fell from the tree in the from yard it managed to bounce and hit the trunk of the little blue demon. Lovely The hit was hard enough that the ensuing dent knocked a dime size chunk of the paint off. But at least the truck is safe!
Originally Posted by cookie88
That happened to moms camper a couple years back and I had to replace the inverter. It acted like it was working, but wouldn't let the batteries charge.
How did you troubleshoot/dianose it was the rectifier? Been thinking I should get one of those trickle chargers to put on one of the batteries...thinking that it would trickle both since thier hooked in parallel. Maybe I should get two trickle chargers, one for each battery?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
Well I was hoping we'd get by this ice storm without damage. Wishful thinking...when a limb snapped an fell from the tree in the from yard it managed to bounce and hit the truck of the little blue demon. Lovely The hit was hard enough that the ensuing dent knocked a dime size chunk of the paint off. But at least the truck is safe!How did you troubleshoot/dianose it was the rectifier? Been thinking I should get one of those trickle chargers to put on one of the batteries...thinking that it would trickle both since thier hooked in parallel. Maybe I should get two trickle chargers, one for each battery?
Sorry to hear about the limb Zach I hope the Pavement Princess is gonna rise from the ashes. J/K
Dunno what you think of Harbor Freight stuff but they have a floating charger for $4.99 w/coupon. If you need the coupon I can drop it off for you.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F250W6.0
Sorry to hear about the limb Zach I hope the Pavement Princess is gonna rise from the ashes.
I mis-typed, it was the trunk of the Focus...not the F250 that was hit. The wife isn't happy...her car; guess I get to spend my scheduled day off tomorrow figuring out what this is going to cost me. It's not like I could go ride the scooter...so why not.
Originally Posted by F250W6.0
Dunno what you think of Harbor Freight stuff but they have a floating charger for $4.99 w/coupon. If you need the coupon I can drop it off for you.
Harbor Freight is one of those places that some stuff is a real bargain while others are just cheap. Heat shrink tubing, zip ties and sanding supplies...bargain; everything else, well buyer beware. Or at least in my book. Thank you none the less for the coupon offer.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Hey Zack, does the 12V lighting and such work when plugged into shore power? If so, some RVs have a circuit breaker or inline fuse between the power converter and the batteries in the charge line.
If you have to replace the converter, here's the one I prefer if it is a deck mount PD 9270C 70 Amp RV Converter/Charger
If it is one of the cabinet models, this site should have a replacement to fit.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Not sure which is more frustrating...filing a claim or realizing the cost of damages is mostly labor, not parts & paint. The shining moment was the insurance agent assured us that we're not the only ones that had damage on a vehicle after all the ice last week. Apparently someone had a large limb fall on the hood of their Prius. I wanted to smile, but that isn't nice.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Hey Zack, does the 12V lighting and such work when plugged into shore power? If so, some RVs have a circuit breaker or inline fuse between the power converter and the batteries in the charge line.
If you have to replace the converter, here's the one I prefer if it is a deck mount PD 9270C 70 Amp RV Converter/Charger
If it is one of the cabinet models, this site should have a replacement to fit.
I'm not sure where the one is on the trailer. Would it be in the same area as the circut breakers for the entire trailer electrical system? In this case under the fridge. I know there is a disconnect between the batteries and the rest of the trailer. I checked to make sure it was on when I first noticed the legs weren't moving. Maybe sitting from the end of July to the first of November without being plugged in could have been part of the problem? I'll keep that link in mind when I figure out what might be the issue.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
How did you troubleshoot/dianose it was the rectifier?
Uh...... Well, let's file that one under lucky guess.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Maybe sitting from the end of July to the first of November without being plugged in could have been part of the problem?
That could possibly be the problem, especially if you didn't turn the disconnect off, the LP gas detector will drain the batteries in a month or so by itself.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
I knew I didn't like X-mas time for some reason. The holidays have always been a sorta sad time for me and now they are even worse. My big sister passed away Tues. from unknown causes. We'll bury her tomorrow just down from Donna. Please keep my family in your prayers.

Quick Reply: December All Topic/Off Topic Thread