Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December bs thread

Hello hello

Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brrrrrr

Are ya ready for the week long chill factor?
According to both the Weather Channel and the NOAA we're not gonna see anything above low 30's for a high temp for over a week. Night time temps to drop to the mid 20's. At least up here in the islands. I may have to get advice from Nanook of the North on how to deal with the big chill.
Capt'n

Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Welcome to December! I'm ready for snow... we are supposed to get a touch today and tomorrow but I am doubtful that it will be anything noticable.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Also, I do think remember if we did this last year but what do you guys think about the meet this month, yay or nay? I know there are Xmas presents to buy and family to spend time with so I'm not sure if we will be able to do a meet unless it's early in the month. Anyways I figured I'd ask before making an official thread.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Tis quiet... In other news I think I've decided not to sell my Vw just yet. I've been toying with the idea to replace the motor, floors, and some interior mods. The body isn't the greatest but I think it would hold. I just think I'd miss it too much if I sold it and regret selling it when it's gone. I'm just not quite sure yet.

Sean: You've done floor pans right? How hard do ya think it would be to do with the body on? I don't know how to weld and don't have one but I read all it is are spot welds or plug welds and bolts that hold it on. If that's true I may be able to figure it out myself.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Tis quiet... In other news I think I've decided not to sell my Vw just yet. I've been toying with the idea to replace the motor, floors, and some interior mods. The body isn't the greatest but I think it would hold. I just think I'd miss it too much if I sold it and regret selling it when it's gone. I'm just not quite sure yet.
Yeah Dylan it's a bit mute in here but, I think it might be due to preoccupation with the holidayz craze.
Do you have much work space to deal with your bug? If space is available it's not that hard to yank the beetle body off. Grab some lumber and whip up a couple A frames braced to each other and a couple heavy duty ratchet straps should do the job. Strip off as much weight as possible 1st. i.e. interior, eng. lid, hood, fuel tank etc. and then you can get to the floor pan and engine much easier. Do you know anyone with a buzz box (mig welder) you could borrow or better yet someone who welds to go with it?
Capt'n

Old 12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Capt'n Phillips
Yeah Dylan it's a bit mute in here but, I think it might be due to preoccupation with the holidayz craze.
Do you have much work space to deal with your bug? If space is available it's not that hard to yank the beetle body off. Grab some lumber and whip up a couple A frames braced to each other and a couple heavy duty ratchet straps should do the job. Strip off as much weight as possible 1st. i.e. interior, eng. lid, hood, fuel tank etc. and then you can get to the floor pan and engine much easier. Do you know anyone with a buzz box (mig welder) you could borrow or better yet someone who welds to go with it?
Capt'n
Unfortunately I do not have the space to do such work. And most of it would be outside in the gravel if I were to do it. I am thinking if I did a body off pan fix, I'd end up finding things I wouldn't want to find ie: body rusted out, and then the project would blow way out of control and I'd have to rid myself of it like all the other "restoration" projects. For now I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

As for a Mig welder my brother should have one but I'm not sure if it is his or if I can use it. I'd have to practice on scrap metal fist before I tried anything.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
crash1
Posting Guru
HELLO OUT HERE

Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Unfortunately I do not have the space to do such work. And most of it would be outside in the gravel if I were to do it. I am thinking if I did a body off pan fix, I'd end up finding things I wouldn't want to find ie: body rusted out, and then the project would blow way out of control and I'd have to rid myself of it like all the other "restoration" projects. For now I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

As for a Mig welder my brother should have one but I'm not sure if it is his or if I can use it. I'd have to practice on scrap metal fist before I tried anything.
True...you might discover a multitude of sins that would be beyond recovery at this point in time. The beauty of a mig is that it doesn't really require much talent to effectively operate one with decent results. I know...I have one. Practice is key and having the right gas is critical without wind or even a breeze around. With mild steel you should have gas with a mix of 75% Argon and 25% Carbon Dioxide. Lay your metal in place with some overlap. Then tack a few places opposite from each other to deter warping of the metal from the concentrated heat caused by each weld. Watch some demo's on YouTube to get an idea of how it's done. Make sure your battery in the car is disconnected before welding. Otherwise it could get ugly.
Oh...so Curt doesn't feel all alone out there.....HEY CURT!!! Wazzzup!!

Capt'n

Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Capt'n Phillips
True...you might discover a multitude of sins that would be beyond recovery at this point in time. The beauty of a mig is that it doesn't really require much talent to effectively operate one with decent results. I know...I have one. Practice is key and having the right gas is critical without wind or even a breeze around. With mild steel you should have gas with a mix of 75% Argon and 25% Carbon Dioxide. Lay your metal in place with some overlap. Then tack a few places opposite from each other to deter warping of the metal from the concentrated heat caused by each weld. Watch some demo's on YouTube to get an idea of how it's done. Make sure your battery in the car is disconnected before welding. Otherwise it could get ugly.
Oh...so Curt doesn't feel all alone out there.....HEY CURT!!! Wazzzup!!

Capt'n
Heh, the battery would be removed in this situation seeing as it's location is on the floor under the rear seat. I'd have to do quite a bit of research on doing the pan before I jump in. At the very least I'd get the pans ordered and at my house, then if it turns out to really be something I can't do, I'll look into sourcing it out to a skilled person. There are a few good welders and a few Vw enthusiasts in my area.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice and chilly out here. Been snowing for about an hour and a half.

Over in Everett now for college, fully expecting it to snow while I'm in class.

Sorry I haven't been around. Since most of my money is being spent on my bug, I hardly make it over to this forum. Is there gonna be a meet this month?

-Jameson

Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM
RavageX
Senior User
hey gruesome I found something for ya.
1970 Ford Bronco For Sale | Northwest Motorsport

Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I'm leaning toward no meet since this month there is a lack of money all around and we have families to spend time with. But what do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, thanks Ravage, that is one badass bronco. Too bad I don't have 30k laying around.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Ravage- thats a nice looking Bronco. Looks like a pavement queen though. Is it just me or is NWMS way overpriced.

Haven't been in here much since doing holiday stuff. Planning on going to play in the snow Saturday at Snoqualmie (Tubing). Maybe do some parking lot donuts in the truck. Also been getting some work done on my project Civic race car.You can laugh if you want. I think the serpentine belt and tensioner need to be swapped out on the V10 as well. I hear some squealing.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You know, I generally laugh at "civic race cars" but that's generally only when the quotes for "race" and "car" are there. I was at a Mustang meet once and a few civic kids came rolling through with blue painted lights and a primer body kits, anyways one in a hatch back tried to be cool by revving the engine and taking off. He dumped the clutch and his whole dash fell apart into his lap. It was pretty awesome.

Quick Reply: December bs thread