1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1995 E250 strange problem - transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subford
An 1994 F53 is more like the F550 and I did mean drive shaft. Photo below.
No you do not have any sensors in the rear wheels at the brakes in your 1996 E350. Your sensor would be in the center on top of the rear end.

My 1994 F53 sensor:

/
That is the parking brake assembly I remembered (way back in 1989) on the Superduty/F450.
I had to make myself a special tool to get that dang cable housing off the brake assembly.
They probably have a proper tool available by now since it's been 24 years.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
DoggoneGA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest update: my mechanic turned my van over to a transmission shop that has the right equipment to read the codes...but as of this posting, they haven't been able to get the problem to occur. I told them to keep it until it does! I don't want it back with the problem not corrected.

If I have to, I'll go there everyday and drive it myself until it does occur!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DoggoneGA
Latest update: my mechanic turned my van over to a transmission shop that has the right equipment to read the codes...but as of this posting, they haven't been able to get the problem to occur. I told them to keep it until it does! I don't want it back with the problem not corrected.

If I have to, I'll go there everyday and drive it myself until it does occur!
Did you tell them to check the wiring coming from the PCM for potential acid/corrosion damage?

That one will cause problems to be there one minute, then gone the next.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 AM
DoggoneGA
New User
I did, and I also gave them the information to access this site to see all the posts.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by DoggoneGA
Latest update: my mechanic turned my van over to a transmission shop that has the right equipment to read the codes..
Your truck has the OBD-1 system. You can read all of the codes by jumping pin #2 to pin #6 of the self-test connector and counting the flashes on MIL (CEL) for the codes.
Or any $30.00 OBD-1 code reader will read them.
Or most auto part stores can read them for you also.

I would not take anything back to a mechanic that can not read codes.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
DoggoneGA
New User
"I would not take anything back to a mechanic that can not read codes."

That is your choice, I see no reason to give up on a good mechanic who has one limitation. If the issue of reading the codes comes up again, I can always have the choice to go elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll stick to a good mechanic who can do most of the routine stuff quickly and well.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most good trany shops use a computer and see data in real time, and save data too. when driving vehicle for Diagnostic purposes

Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
DoggoneGA
New User
"most good trany shops use a computer and see data in real time, and save data too. when driving vehicle for Diagnostic purposes"

The problem is, and has been since when the problem started, that the problem doesn't occur for THEM! But I spoke to the mechanic at the transmission shop and they found a couple of instances from another forum that were similar to mine and both of those turned out to be the PSOM. So right now they're in the process of getting one to put in my van. Here's keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM
DoggoneGA
New User
Here's the latest update on my van: I talked to the transmission shop that has it now and they sent the PSOM out (not sure where to) and it tested out at 100% BAD! So now they're just waiting for the circuit board (?) to come back with a new PSOM.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
DoggoneGA
New User
Latest update

Here's the latest on my van:

About a month ago the mechanic sent the PSOM out of state to be checked. Checked out bad, and wherever they sent it replaced a bad diode. Mechanic reinstalled it and called me to pick it up. No deal, it still failed. But THIS time I was actually able to get it to fail while the mechanic was in the van...BIG improvement. At least they knew it really DID have a problem!

Anyway, they took out the PSOM and sent it back. This time the whole circuit board was replaced...at no additional cost to me.

I picked up the van last Thursday (2/6/14) and was actually able to get to the Interstate. So I kept driving. Interstate, 2 lane roads, you name it...I put about 100 miles on it. NO PROBLEMS! Transmission shifted fine, cruise control worked. So for the next few days I took it out whenever I could. Short drives, long drives...NO PROBLEMS!

I still hold my breath whenever it shifts...but I'm slowly getting over that and I'm actually planning some long distance trips in it. So, at this point, looks like it really IS fixed this time!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Way back when they came out with the E4OD (89?) I worked at a dealership rebuilding them.

I was never able to drive an automatic without focusing on the shifts the transmission made judging the timing, smoothness and how it sounded.

I sold my automatic mustang shortly thereafter, and until about 5 years ago have never owned an automatic.

The only automatics I fully trust now are the old C4 and C6 models.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
DoggoneGA
New User
"I sold my automatic mustang shortly thereafter, and until about 5 years ago have never owned an automatic."

Yeah, well...more power to you...but I think it's just a tad late to be talking about a manual shift for a nearly 20 year old van! I've had both and for a vehicle the size of my van I wouldn't even consider a manual transmission.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 PM
brian_06328
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Doggone,

Your description of what your van was doing is exactly what my '96 F350 is doing right now. Are things still going as they should? I found a place online (located in WA that says they repair PSOM's, I am about to send my instrument cluster to them so they can fix it. If they can repair the board it sounds like I'll be good to go.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 AM
DoggoneGA
New User
Brian - so far so good! I've driven it as far as the Smokies and back 3 times with no problems. Originally, a part was replaced on the PSOM, but that didn't fix it, but when the whole board was replaced that took care of it.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM
brian_06328
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
That is good news

I'm going to send mine out to a business called Cluster Fix in SE Washington, not very far from where I live so I may just take it to them to avoid shipping it. I'll be sure to ask about whether they will replace the whole board or not.

Quick Reply: 1995 E250 strange problem - transmission?