1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

What makes it a "custom cab"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
dcagnolatti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious. What makes the 57-60 ford truck "custom cab" different from those without the designation? Is it the wrap around reat window? Is it a different set of finishes on the dashboard? Any info appreciated.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
oldebrush
Senior User

DC, I do not believe the big back window designates a "Custom Cab", but was an option offered only on a Custom Cab truck.

My 57 is a custom cab, with the stainless trim around the windshield, and the "Custom Cab" script on the doors. It also has door locks on both doors, which I am not sure was an option or just came on the customs.

Others will be along to confirm or correct what I have posted here. I would like to know as well.

Aloha, Tony

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Among other things - better seat covers, improved seat padding, upgraded trim package. Also, I believe the Fresh Air heater came standard in C.C.'s, though also available as an option in standard cabs. There are others I cannot remember, someone surely will.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM
egg collector
Junior User
What did the steering wheel and horn look like?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by egg collector
What did the steering wheel and horn look like?

.....horn ring in lieu of horn button is another, now that you mention it. The Dummy will show up shortly and crush us(me!) with his knowledge, and my lack thereof. He's explained it all to me and others countless times. But I am brain dead, apparently. LOL!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldebrush
DC, I do not believe the big back window designates a "Custom Cab", but was an option offered only on a Custom Cab truck.

My 57 is a custom cab, with the stainless trim around the windshield, and the "Custom Cab" script on the doors. It also has door locks on both doors, which I am not sure was an option or just came on the customs.

Others will be along to confirm or correct what I have posted here. I would like to know as well.

Aloha, Tony
Custom Cab equipment consisting of striped woven nylon-saran upholstery with gray vinyl bolster and seat facings, handsome two-tone instrument panel, chrome trimmed instrument cluster, white steering wheel with attractive chrome horn ring, foam rubber in seat cushion and back, attractive two-tone door paint treatment, left door arm rest, sound deadener on floor and rear cab panel and insulation on firewall, right side sunvisor, illuminated cigar-cigarette lighter, bright-metal grille and headlight assembly, bright-metal windshield reveal molding, matched locks on both doors and of course the "Custom Cab" emblem on both doors. The Custom Cab feature was the only optional trim level available for the F-series trucks in 1960.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
dcagnolatti
Junior User
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Custom Cab equipment consisting of striped woven nylon-saran upholstery with gray vinyl bolster and seat facings, handsome two-tone instrument panel, chrome trimmed instrument cluster, white steering wheel with attractive chrome horn ring, foam rubber in seat cushion and back, attractive two-tone door paint treatment, left door arm rest, sound deadener on floor and rear cab panel and insulation on firewall, right side sunvisor, illuminated cigar-cigarette lighter, bright-metal grille and headlight assembly, bright-metal windshield reveal molding, matched locks on both doors and of course the "Custom Cab" emblem on both doors. The Custom Cab feature was the only optional trim level available for the F-series trucks in 1960.
Thanks for the info! The original upholstery in my truck is long gone. Two-tone instrument panel has been painted over one color. Still have the white steering wheel and all white dashboard *****. Horn ring still there. Two-tone door pain is painted over one color. Left door armrest is missing but easily replaced with a reproduction part. Sound deadening I presume is still in place, though I haven't checked. Right side sun visor has been replaced with a new one (both sunvisors). The cigarette lighter is missing. Bright metal grill and headlight doors are going to be re-plated soon, and the bright metal windshield reveal molding was lost in a previous restoration. Some of the attributes remain, so I guess I can keep the emblems on the doors.