Computer Chips & Tuners  
View Poll Results: Best Tuner (all-around) for Gas Engine (6.2L)?
Edge- Evolution CTS Gas
42.86%
SCT- Livewire TS Gas
57.14%
Bully Dog- Triple Dog GT Gas
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Programers for 2012 6.2L F250

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 AM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programers for 2012 6.2L F250

I am looking at a programer for my 6.2L F250; in looking at them, I've discovered that while there are a ton of options for the diesel engines, there aren't many options for the gas engines.

I'm looking for something with a touch screen that I can integrate into the dash upgrade as needed, monitor my performance in real time, and make adjustments easily. I am very new to tuning, so I would like something that doesn't require an engineering degree to operate.

I keep running into three programers:
Edge Evolution CTS Gas
SCT Livewire TS
Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas

Does anyone have any experience with any of these programers or any thoughts on better options for gas engines? Any information/advice would be extremely helpful.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:45 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
look at 5 star tuning, they use sct tuners and I never hear anything bad about them.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 AM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
look at 5 star tuning, they use sct tuners and I never hear anything bad about them.
Thanks, 2nd Stroke! I had not heard of them before. I will definitely look into them.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
i will second that. from everything i have read and heard, the only tuner to buy for a ford gas engine is one of mikes tunes from 5 star.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i will second that. from everything i have read and heard, the only tuner to buy for a ford gas engine is one of mikes tunes from 5 star.
TJC, thanks for the second input! I looked them up and the prices are actually pretty reasonable. 5 Star sells a couple kits including a new intake (aFe or AirAid); any benefit to buying both at the same time? I was planning to do the intake at the same time as the exhaust, and I was planning to go with K&N, but I'm flexible with it.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
all i can say about the K&N is YUCK!!!
when you buy a K&N filter, you buy a big hole with a name on it you stick into the air intake that lets fine particles through to destroy your engine.

the stock air intake and filter will is 1000 times better than a K&N piece of crap.

as for the AFE or AirAid, i have never used either so will not offer an opinion on them.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User
when you buy a K&N filter, you buy a big hole with a name on it you stick into the air intake that lets fine particles through to destroy your engine.

the stock air intake and filter will is 1000 times better than a K&N piece of crap.

as for the AFE or AirAid, i have never used either so will not offer an opinion on them.
Thanks for the heads-up! I am not sold on K&N in any way. They are simply the most recognizable brand without doing any research. I will definitely look into filters more before I make a decision on it.

I definitely have a lot to learn, and I'm thankful for all of the help on the forum. Much appreciated!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User

Thanks for the heads-up! I am not sold on K&N in any way. They are simply the most recognizable brand without doing any research. I will definitely look into filters more before I make a decision on it.

I definitely have a lot to learn, and I'm thankful for all of the help on the forum. Much appreciated!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
K&N marketing is less than desirable too.
they claim hp increase, which is a load of BS. changing the air filter will not increase HP

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree, K&N is garbage

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM
ddbck
Senior User
Yes as said before, contact Mike @ 5 Star Tuning. His custom tunes are second to none & great customer service.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM
SGTYuengling
Freshman User
K&N marketing is less than desirable too.
they claim hp increase, which is a load of BS. changing the air filter will not increase HP
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
I agree, K&N is garbage
Originally Posted by ddbck
Yes as said before, contact Mike @ 5 Star Tuning. His custom tunes are second to none & great customer service.
Thanks for the advice, Gents. I have done more research and I think I am sold on the SCT Tuner from 5 Star with an AFE Stage 2! I will contact Mike and post once he gets back to me!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; it's more help than I can say!

-Yueng

Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM
ALKIRER
New User
I m new to the Gas trucks, however I have always run the K&N filters on my cars , diesel trucks and motorcycles without any problems. Here in Missouri I don't drive on much dirt roads and that would make a big difference. I am looking for a programmer for my 2015 F-250 with the 6.2 Gas engine , has dual exaust out to the rear bumper 2 1/2 inch ( Cat Back) with DynaFlow Mufflers and the K&N Air kit. Runs great ,,BUT always looking for a little more.. Thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 AM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by SGTYuengling
I am looking at a programer for my 6.2L F250; in looking at them, I've discovered that while there are a ton of options for the diesel engines, there aren't many options for the gas engines.

I'm looking for something with a touch screen that I can integrate into the dash upgrade as needed, monitor my performance in real time, and make adjustments easily. I am very new to tuning, so I would like something that doesn't require an engineering degree to operate.

I keep running into three programers:
Edge Evolution CTS Gas
SCT Livewire TS
Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas

Does anyone have any experience with any of these programers or any thoughts on better options for gas engines? Any information/advice would be extremely helpful.
5 Star uses SCT programmers, PHP uses Edge programmers. The generic Edge Evolution programmer destroyed the module on my lifted 150. Which ever tuner you purchase. Get that programmer custom tuned for your make, model and specific requirements. The generic programs that come on these devices are ok if your truck is and remains factory. Complete garbage if truck is customized.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you ever get the 5 Star, SCT Tuner for your F250?

Originally Posted by SGTYuengling
Thanks for the advice, Gents. I have done more research and I think I am sold on the SCT Tuner from 5 Star with an AFE Stage 2! I will contact Mike and post once he gets back to me!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; it's more help than I can say!

-Yueng
Hello,

I was just reading your message thread from last October about 5 Star and SCT Tuners.

I also have a 2013 F250, 6.2L and am thinking about getting a tuner. Did you ever get the 5 Star, SCT tuner? If so, how did your truck respond to new tunes? Did you try the tune that 5 Star has for better towing performance?

Thanx.