Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Oktober B.S. Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oktober B.S. Thread

Let the Oktoberfest begin! Anyone got any Halloween plans? I plan to do the decor for my house with my fog machine and a flaming pumpkin. Then we normally make crosses for graves or something. Then I can download haunted house sounds and maybe get a cheap strobe light.

Anyone else got plans?

Sent from my HTC One S using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 PM
95 desert bronco
Junior User
spiced beer! thinking about doing something with the bronco in a halloween theme but first time I've thought about it so not sure

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Spiced beer sounds good. At my work we'll be getting pumpkin spice latte stuff. Should be nice. You could put some haunting music in the CD player and a fog machine in the back, then roll down the road with the lights off scaring people .

That might not be so safe I guess.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I plan to work on trucks... what a surprise. lol

Putting a newer disk brake Dana 60 out of a van in my buddies 74 Highboy, need to finish welding the perches and weld new shock mounts on. Then mounting the dual aftermarket tanks I husled up for him.

Got to finish working on Jaison's truck, setting timing, more wire removal. Then see what/if he wants other stuff done.

Need to install a factory saddle tank and delay wiper setup in a friends 73 F-100, traded him for the dual tanks.

So far I have found 2 tilt column, both have problems but hoping to make one good one out of the 2 and the wiring harness out of my parts rig as it has Cruise Control and whatever is needed off the column in my truck currently. So 4 will become 1.

Need to put a real hitch on my truck as the 70s bumper attachment one didn't like me pulling 9,000 Lbs.

I'm sure more will come up as it always does.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:57 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, i spent last night working on the van, had all kinds of fun. to start with, i was about 25 miles from home when my engine stalled on the highway, still spinning, just stopped making power. pulled off the highway into a safe place, played with it for a minute, then opened the hood. fuel shutoff solenoid was melted and smoking, and oozing a brown fluid. after getting towed home, i worked on it till 5 this morning, replacing the IP with a decent used one i took off when i rebuilt my engine back in january. in the process of getting it to fire up afterwards, i fried my homebrewed battery charger and had 4 other chargers all working together to get enough power into it sooner. finally got it to life and now i remember why i took that IP off when i did the rebuild. oh well, runs better than the rebuilt one did, even though i haven't set the timing yet. after that was all said and done, i got 2 hours of sleep and got back on the road

would you believe that its possible to change the injector pump on a diesel van without even bothering to remove the doghouse - its not nearly as hard as you would think, and probably easier than moving all the stuff thats in the way of the doghouse.

as soon as i had my van back on the road, i went to an interview i scheduled a few hours before the van died, and its looking promising, so i might have a regular job soon with regular hours - and i'm gonna need it if tonight was any indication of things to come!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well good luck to ya Josh and hopefully the van waits a while to break.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Finished Jaison's truck today, re-clocked the dizzy and fixed the stereo.

Went and got a new bed for my buddies high boy so we cut patch panels out of the old one and removed it, rolled the truck out and pressure washed the rear frame and scraped of multiple layers of old paint so he can strip and repaint it before the new bed goes on.

Josh, I know there is at least one IDI at NW Auto, I pulled the Banks setup off of it, only other thing the motor was missing last time I looked was the injectors.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well, last night was my first night at my new graveyard job. It was pretty labor intensive but not as bad as plumbing. And I'm getting $11.25/hr. After sleeping today I'm planning to zero out my carb mixture screws then turn them out 2 1/2 turns to see how it runs. It seems to be running rich lately. I'd also like to retime or at least check it to see where it's at.

Along with brakes I do need some tune up stuff, plugs, wires, fuel filter etc. I'm thinking accel wires and copper motorcraft plugs. Hopefully that will get rid of the miss I have. I also need to seal up a small part of my intake where it's leaking and make sure the bolts are tight. My paychecks are taken, good thing I don't have a girlfriend.

Anyways, nice job Odd, does it run pretty well now?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
as for the IDI at the junkyard, i bought 2 junkyard pumps a couple years back, one of them is the one i had rebuilt in january which now failed me, and the other i haven't tested. the one i put back on there runs strong but has some minor issues, most notably that i need to take the VRV off of the failed pump and put it on this one, as this one has never worked at all, which means i reach 2nd gear at 30mph or whenever i pull the shifter down, and 3rd at 45. it sucks that way, but i know what to do to fix it. other than that, this pump gives my engine the beautiful clatter its been missing and the crisp throttle response i hadn't had in so long. and thats without having even taken the time to set the timing properly - i just eyeballed it by the angle the pump sits at cause i couldn't see the marks.

and i got that job i was interviewing for, so i'm planning to move down to the renton area pretty soon so i'm closer to work and my lady. heck, if i'm down here instead of up in BFE, i might actually be able to make the meets a little more often too

Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hey that would be cool. Currently I don't know how meets will go with me. If I can get into a routine of waking up at 5PM before work, that might be ok. We'll see.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Congrats on the new jobs for both of you. Going from Index to Renton is a big jump into the real world. haha

Jaisons truck runs pretty good, his tires are too big for his stock gears so it lacks the feel of having power due to that.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I know how that feels, having 2.73 gears with 35s, it feels like a 6banger. I have been looking at plans for a 460 swap in the future. It won't be cheap but having 500+ hp and around the same amount of torque, I'll have some fun.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Dylan- Been working grave for 10 months now. Takes a couple months to fully get into a routine. I typically sleep right after work and then have after 4pm to run around and do errands prior to work. The weekends are tough though trying to toggle family, projects and other activities creates a lack of sleep sometimes. Either way its not too bad though.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah I'm generally a night owl as it is. Stay up till early morning and sleep late etc. I am just trying to sleep as much as I can right now. That way I've got plenty of energy for work. My "weekends" aren't really weekends. Ive got Tuesday and Wednesday off and Tuesday I work at a gas station for a few hours at night. So Wednesday is my only true day off.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Dylan, it takes a bit of work to get numbers that are honestly in the 500 range, even out of the 460. AN in reality HP is a completely FICTIONAL number, Torque can be measured and HP is a math equation based off of TQ and a constant number in order to come up with a HP figure. The issue is that a shop or Dyno-tech can change that "constant" number in order to make HP look however he/she wants.

A 460 swap is not that expensive, it's pretty cheap to buy an entire truck, take what you want and sell/scrap the rest.

Since you already have different gear ratios just go to a junkyard and pull a 3rd member with the gears you want, not hard, not expensive, problem solved.

Quick Reply: Oktober B.S. Thread