safe wvo blend in stock system, 02 7.3

Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Whitson Metalworks
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safe wvo blend in stock system, 02 7.3

Just wanting to offset the cost of fuel a bit and can't find info on blending on the lighter side, say 25% wvo and 75% ulsd. Would such a blend be safe in a stock powerstroke? i live in Florida and it rarely freezes obviously. I also have a little jp-8 to thin the wvo if necessary?? thanks for any help.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Clay H
Elder User
Originally Posted by Whitson Metalworks
Just wanting to offset the cost of fuel a bit and can't find info on blending on the lighter side, say 25% wvo and 75% ulsd. Would such a blend be safe in a stock powerstroke? i live in Florida and it rarely freezes obviously. I also have a little jp-8 to thin the wvo if necessary?? thanks for any help.
NO.
I have been burning WVO for a long while and have lots of experience with this. Putting WVO in the diesel tank and blending is a big no no. A 2 tank system like BFT sells is what I have on both of my diesels and its hands down the best system on the market.
Check it out.
WVO Diesel Conversion | SVO Grease Conversion | Ford Vegistroke Powerstroke | Biodiesel Conversion

Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Whitson Metalworks
Freshman User
well that sucks, and differs greatly from info I've read elsewhere about folks running 50/50 or more in their stock trucks. the kit looks sweet but there is no way in hell i'll spend $3,675.00 on a fuel system, that'll buy a lot of diesel.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Clay H
Elder User
well that sucks, and differs greatly from info I've read elsewhere about folks running 50/50 or more in their stock trucks. the kit looks sweet but there is no way in hell i'll spend $3,675.00 on a fuel system, that'll buy a lot of diesel.
There is a LOT of people trying the blending deal. It does work but starting on cold WVO causes coking if the ring lands and valves over time. So yes, you can do it at the expense of a new engine later. Also you will find that your stock pump will see a much shorter life span pumping the much thicker fuel. When WVO gets cold, it can be as thick as honey, if not completely solid and it will not burn completely unless heated. If you want to test this and see for yourself, get you an old skillet, heat it on the stove until the surface temp is around 700* F. Poor a teaspoon of cold vegi oil in the hot skillet and watch it smoke and coke up the skillet before finally igniting. Now repeat the test with preheated (180*) oil and it will ignite instantly without all the smoke and carbon. The same will be the case inside your engine combustion chambers. (dont do this experiment inside your house)
As far as spending almost $4k on a proper system, let me put that into perspective for you. My yearly miles driven is right at 20k. I average 14 mpg in my dually. That 860 gal. of fuel. At a cost (in my area) of 3.80 per gal. = $3,250. So depending on fuel cost in your area, it may only take about a year to recover your investment and the rest is gravy.
To date, I have pocketed around $40,000 in free fuel. $4,000 is nothing compared.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Whitson Metalworks
Freshman User
i wont be driving that much at all, maybe 10k a year. as far as cold wvo, how cold is "cold"? i live in florida where it MIGHT get to 28 on the coldest winter night, i'd skip blending all together during the winter. plus, i'm hoping to use a much lighter blend than i can find info about anywhere. seems everyone wants to use 50/50 or as high as 90/10, i'm only wanting to use a few gallons to a tank.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Metal, maybe what you've been reading, was 50/50 in a 2-tank system, or you thought WVO, but it was actually WMO..+waste MOTOR oil?

Look into a DIY 2-tank system...will all parts fetched, fuel tank being the most expensive, you can have a system around $100.00. Members are using $38.00 ebay 7.3 pumps (getting 2 of them, for when i craps out and you have no downtime, waiting for other to be replaced), or you can spend the $$$ and get a "wvo" fuel pump.

Put my diy system together, 1-1/2yrs ago, AND LOVE IT...About 50k on WVO...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Whitson Metalworks
Freshman User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Metal, maybe what you've been reading, was 50/50 in a 2-tank system, or you thought WVO, but it was actually WMO..+waste MOTOR oil?

Look into a DIY 2-tank system...will all parts fetched, fuel tank being the most expensive, you can have a system around $100.00. Members are using $38.00 ebay 7.3 pumps (getting 2 of them, for when i craps out and you have no downtime, waiting for other to be replaced), or you can spend the $$$ and get a "wvo" fuel pump.

Put my diy system together, 1-1/2yrs ago, AND LOVE IT...About 50k on WVO...

so what would a $100 diy kit leave out that the $3700 kit includes?? there again is an example of the widely varied info on WVO, and no offense intended, i've read for hours about it and am no more knowledgeable for it because of so many "i would nevers" and "been doing it for 100K'ers"

Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
so what would a $100 diy kit leave out that the $3700 kit includes?? there again is an example of the widely varied info on WVO, and no offense intended, i've read for hours about it and am no more knowledgeable for it because of so many "i would nevers" and "been doing it for 100K'ers"
Sorry bud, i left out a "0". About $1000.00 will get you burn'n wvo.

Nothing really, left out. If "mechanically" inclined, its doable. A few check valves (cv's), in the heads, some plumbing equipment, visually comprehending whats being jotted down in threads, and BAM...

CV's are your friends, in wvo conversions. Simply, stops wvo from entering the d2 side. My set-up consist of...tank (heated plumbing inside), pump, filter, manifold (found at Mcmaster-carr), FPHE (flat plate heat exchanger), TiH assy (tube in hose assy), solenoid (located in valley of motor), and then line splits to heads...p/s front, d/s rear. Cv's at d2 fuel lines...d/s front, p/s rear.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
check out my WVO album, and there, i put a schematic up, that i "copied" for my system.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
I'll be the 1st to give props, where its do. If not for Clay, and a few others that "stickyed" their progress/success with WVO, at the .org, i'd still be dead in the water...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Whitson Metalworks
Freshman User
yeah that extra "0" makes a bit of a difference lol. i'm a stubborn DIY'er so i guess i'll start bushwhacking through a new pile of info and see if its something i want to try.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
this is my home-based filtration...(not actually me, but its what i based mine off of)

This is in the 1st drum, after running thru the 1st set of filters. Once centrifuged and cooled down, i then pump thru the bottom filters, into my "ready to burn" tank...

Oil centrifuge for filtering waste vegetable oil as fuel | Oil Centrifuge / Motor Package | PA Biodiesel Supply

Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,137 Posts
yeah that extra "0" makes a bit of a difference lol. i'm a stubborn DIY'er so i guess i'll start bushwhacking through a new pile of info and see if its something i want to try.
Reality check: If you drive so few miles, ya probably don't want a veggie conversion anyway - just buy diesel. The issues from a 'periodically' used VO system could easily make it not worth the trouble.

The (few) 'blenders' I have met with limited success tend to do almost exclusively long trips. They use the trucks daily and run them hard all day long. You would not want to 'store' a VO-blend in the carbon steel heads, the mystery-metal fuel filter bowl and the brass fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Contact with heat and carbon steel accelerate the natural decomposition of VO (polymerization), VO reacts with the fuel bowl metal causing corrosion/pitting and the brass parts in the FPR will get poly on them and cause problems.

As far as what you've read on the interweb - well, it may not all be true. I know, I know, its crazy but some people say things that aren't the whole truth. Its sad, but the reality is many of the people going on about their 'success' blending WVO, WMO, etc have catastrophic failures and never come back to say it didn't work out. Worse than that are the group of failures that result from folks who NEVER post anything who thought 'blending' was a good idea because they read about successes on the web.

I used to say 'Choose wisely, or please post pics of the carnage!' Good luck!!