Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Auto salvage/junkyards in sothern Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto salvage/junkyards in sothern Michigan?

I am looking for some good auto salvage/junkyards in sothern Michigan. I am looking for 73'-79' ford truck parts for my restoration project. Any of y'all got any recomdations? Any info would greatly help!
Thanks,
Hunter

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
There's a few west of Detroit I like, but it's been a long time since I've seen any seventies Ford's in the boneyards. They get them in and strip them off any thing salvageable due till the popularity of the truck .

Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at Stoney Creek Auto one time down near Carleton. Not a bad place, but small. They did have some older stuff to pick from though. Anything over along the Telegraph corridor has mostly '90s stuff.

I bought a headlight and turn signal from Stoney Creek (went to clear corners on my old Ex) and they even polished it up on the buffing wheel for me. Prices weren't too bad. That was already pulled though. I pulled a couple parts myself from the yard and prices were definitely reasonable.

I haven't found anything good for late model stuff around here. The best I've found is Gene's Auto Parts up in Traverse City, so if I need something, I head over there when I'm up there. I wanted a tan/black button (new style) Homelink unit to add to my Cruze, and the I luckily found one like that in an '03 Freestar at one of the Taylor/Telegraph yards, but it was like one of the newest vehicles in the place. It worked, but I would have preferred newer.

The best honey hole of all that I've found is Swain's Junkyard up in Bellaire. Old time yard with lots of old cars, even though they have things up into the '90s. A buddy rebuild/restored his '86 GMC Pickup and needed a few parts he hadn't been able to source locally to Lake Orion. We went over there one day and he found exactly what he needed, in excellent condition! Wandering through the place is worth the trip itself.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the info!! I will defiantly check into some of those places!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I was at Stoney Creek Auto one time down near Carleton. Not a bad place, but small. They did have some older stuff to pick from though. Anything over along the Telegraph corridor has mostly '90s stuff.

I bought a headlight and turn signal from Stoney Creek (went to clear corners on my old Ex) and they even polished it up on the buffing wheel for me. Prices weren't too bad. That was already pulled though. I pulled a couple parts myself from the yard and prices were definitely reasonable.

I haven't found anything good for late model stuff around here. The best I've found is Gene's Auto Parts up in Traverse City, so if I need something, I head over there when I'm up there. I wanted a tan/black button (new style) Homelink unit to add to my Cruze, and the I luckily found one like that in an '03 Freestar at one of the Taylor/Telegraph yards, but it was like one of the newest vehicles in the place. It worked, but I would have preferred newer.

The best honey hole of all that I've found is Swain's Junkyard up in Bellaire. Old time yard with lots of old cars, even though they have things up into the '90s. A buddy rebuild/restored his '86 GMC Pickup and needed a few parts he hadn't been able to source locally to Lake Orion. We went over there one day and he found exactly what he needed, in excellent condition! Wandering through the place is worth the trip itself.
Swain's is pretty cool. All the old trucks lying around. Up until today, I lived a mile from Gene's.

By the way, there is a nice looking T bird for sale at the local Ford store.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Swain's is pretty cool. All the old trucks lying around. Up until today, I lived a mile from Gene's. By the way, there is a nice looking T bird for sale at the local Ford store.
It is a fun place to roam around, I could spend a lot more time there than I have.

Is the T-bird still there? The salesman said they'd try to sell it, then put it in storage for the winter and try to sell again in the spring. So if you see it disappear in the coming weeks, that could be why...

He's already got 2700 on the Z because they took it to a wedding in the Wisconsin Dells last weekend.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the Tbird is still there. Kevin, the used car manager had his 2nd heart attack, but is doing good now. Great guy too. He owns a couple nice Mustangs.