1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I was thinking, inside would be pretty much bulletproof!

Steering away from the body for a second, maybe Gary can chime in on this, I have a c6 out of a 89 and I recently picked up a auto column and linkage out of an 83 f150. I want to pull the 4 speed out and put the c6 in. My question is this, if I put the 4 speed in my 78 with a 351m, will the new clutch I bought for the 351w bolt up to the 351 flexplate and is the input shaft for the tranny the same?

EDIT: I meant flywheel not flexplate

Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Johnny walker
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say, awesome job on this truck! Scrolled threw it for about an hour yesterday and I'm loving the progress you're making on the truck.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Here's the page from the catalog. The column to the far right is the clutch plate, and the next one to the left is the disc. I don't see either from the M being the same as the W, although that doesn't mean they won't work. The input shaft should be the same, but something is different.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Here's the page from the catalog. The column to the far right is the clutch plate, and the next one to the left is the disc. I don't see either from the M being the same as the W, although that doesn't mean they won't work. The input shaft should be the same, but something is different.
Looks like the only way to tell is to tear into it and try it

Originally Posted by Johnny walker
Just wanted to chime in and say, awesome job on this truck! Scrolled threw it for about an hour yesterday and I'm loving the progress you're making on the truck.
Thanks Johnny!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates on this thread? I just read the whole thing again.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I regret to say,there has not been any work done on the truck since my last post. It's funny, I always said that this truck wouldn't be one of those projects that sits there forever, but that's what it's doing, sitting there. Ive had to do some work to my other vehicles, which has taken some of my time and money away, also dealing with some ongoing back problems. Not to mention this winter just won't go away! Life just got in the way. But I think about the truck every day and it kills me that it's not a lot further along, if not done! Thanks for your interest in the project. Hopefully this gets me going again.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Let's make an agreement to each other to get back on our trucks! Ok?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Agreed! I've actually been cleaning up the garage here and there. It's amazing how much stuff accumulated since the work came to a screaching halt.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
I did a little work on it the other day. Nothing's been done in a few days due to my 35th birthday and my daughter being home from school sick the last 2 days. I got the cab turned on its back and filled in most of the pinholes on the floor and where it looked a little light with the weld and then grinded them down. I still have to get a couple more holes, but I did start working on it

It was tricky getting it turned on its back without any help. I used ratchet straps, a floor jack briefly and the rolling cart. No physical lifting. I was worried about the weight of the cab resting on the back edge of the floor, but it worked out without damage. The height was close though, had to put the little horns of the cab in between the floor joists when turning it back.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That looks like WORK! (Reminds me of Maynard G Krebs.) But, good that you are getting something done! I've not yet gotten started and have lots of good excuses.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Im not going to grind the welds inside the cab, it's just going to be covered with Dynamat anyways. Though I'm wondering if I should use some of the metal reinforced body filler to smooth out the areas that are welded underneath. I know the POR-15 bonds to bare metal great, but I'm not sure how well it would adhere to the filler. I don't want it to EVER peel away.

Also, I'm not sure if I should just do one coat of POR and then put it right side up and work on getting the rest of the bodywork done and the entire cab primered. I can then assemble the body on the frame temporarily, tape off the area where it will be two tone (blue and silver) and then apply the second coat along with some undercoat. I'm just a little concerned that I will scratch up the bottom when I'm fitting the cab to the frame. I still have to locate where the holes in the rear cab crossmember should be and drill them.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I just found your thread and it looks Great..

Couple of things, I didn't see mentioned.

With the dana 60 front axle you will also need the F350 solid axle springs

Also you need the F350 solid axle pitman arm as well

Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I just found your thread and it looks Great..

Couple of things, I didn't see mentioned.

With the dana 60 front axle you will also need the F350 solid axle springs

Also you need the F350 solid axle pitman arm as well
I went back to the first few pages and your right, it wasn't mentioned.

I remember there being a few different options for leaf springs for the F250 as well as the F350. They all interchange, with the only difference being number of leafs and the load capacity. I went through my emails and found the receipt for the springs I got. They offer two sets of front leafs , both have two leafs. One set has a load capacity of 2,755 lbs and an arch of 1 5/8". The other has a load capacity of 3,486 and an arch of 1 1/4". Knowing that there is only two options I picked the one with the higher load capacity thinking they have to be the ones that were used with the Dana 60 (F350).

Check that, I just went on their site and there's three sets. The third set is 2,575lbs and 1 15/16".

As for the rear ones...there are four choices with 3/1 leafs, which is what I had originally. I really don't remember my reasoning behind which ones I chose, but I got the ones that have a load of 1,700lbs and 9 1/4" arch. The others are as follows: 1,950lbs- 8 7/8", 1,785lbs- 7", 1,655lbs-9 1/8". I think I didn't get the heavier springs in the back because I was afraid the *** end would look lower than the front. Great, I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering about this one

I do recall needing the F350 pitman arm. Thanks for reminding me. Add it to the list.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Piston Honda
I went back to the first few pages and your right, it wasn't mentioned.

I remember there being a few different options for leaf springs for the F250 as well as the F350. They all interchange, with the only difference being number of leafs and the load capacity. I went through my emails and found the receipt for the springs I got. They offer two sets of front leafs , both have two leafs. One set has a load capacity of 2,755 lbs and an arch of 1 5/8". The other has a load capacity of 3,486 and an arch of 1 1/4". Knowing that there is only two options I picked the one with the higher load capacity thinking they have to be the ones that were used with the Dana 60 (F350).

Check that, I just went on their site and there's three sets. The third set is 2,575lbs and 1 15/16".

As for the rear ones...there are four choices with 3/1 leafs, which is what I had originally. I really don't remember my reasoning behind which ones I chose, but I got the ones that have a load of 1,700lbs and 9 1/4" arch. The others are as follows: 1,950lbs- 8 7/8", 1,785lbs- 7", 1,655lbs-9 1/8". I think I didn't get the heavier springs in the back because I was afraid the *** end would look lower than the front. Great, I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering about this one

I do recall needing the F350 pitman arm. Thanks for reminding me. Add it to the list.
Ok, you got the wrong front springs. believe it or not the f250 has a HIGHER spring rate because of the arc they have to bend in. The F350 has a LOWER rate. Using F250 springs with a solid axle is a Kidney Jarring experience to say the least. You want The 2,200lb springs in reg cab with a small block.

You will also want a 4" rear block to level the truck out

Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Piston Honda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Ok, you got the wrong front springs. believe it or not the f250 has a HIGHER spring rate because of the arc they have to bed in. The F350 has a LOWER rate. Using F250 springs with a solid axle is a Kidney Jarring experience to say the least. You want The 2,200lb springs in reg cab with a small block.

You will also want a 4" rear black to level the truck out
Your kidding me! I remember talking to the rep for SD truck springs on the phone trying to determine which spring to use on the swap and he said that the 3,486lbs ones were probably the ones. Guess that's what I get for listening to a guy who says "probably". So the only thing to do is to eat the cost of new springs? I don't think they'll take them back, two years ago and painted.

I didn't know about the 4" block. Never heard about that one. 4"? Really? How does that work?

Quick Reply: Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy)