Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September chat / off-topic thread

Originally Posted by sconap1
Hi everyone -

I'm working on the signature stuff, a little behind...but I'm a US Arny vet, a lifetime NRA member and love hunting and fishing. DU, TU, BASS, etc..

I've done some pistol shooting for competition but mostly I quit after ammo became so hard to find and I was dwindling my stockpile too much!

anyway - sorta Ford related and for the off topic thread - I traded my way into a brand-new-in-the-box Ruger LCP .380 very recently. And being the Friday before the long weekend....I got out early from work and headed to the range. (Old Ford Gun Club)

It's been hot and dry...and I had a laugh when I was about a mile down the river bottom road and looked in my rear view mirror
- coulld BARELY tell there WAS a road there!

My truck pulled up to one of the shooting bays:

I'm normally a Glock guy - I have a few different ones and my son and I like to shoot them in the different competitions...well, until as I said...ammo got rediculous. After work and weekends I'm all Glock (concealed carry permit)...but I needed a smaller option with a new job...so I did that trade for the LCP

LCP stands for Lighweight Carry Pistol and it's really tiny. something like 7 ounces unloaded or something...it's really small too - I put a Crimson Trace Laser on it...and try to keep it from twisting around too much on my hand...and it didn't do too bad - here's one grouping:

not slow fire...but not rapid - I'd call it controlled fire at 5 yards...not bad given it was the first time I'd shot the ity-bity thing. those are 1" squares so basically within a 3" spread from one to another...inside 4" for sure and that's fine for this gun.
The best news - the little guy performed without any hickup whatsoever in a full 50 round box of FMJ and another with Hornady critical defense carry ammo. Good to go for my work-hour needs anyway.

I'm not telling anyone any 'news' that it's hot here...but I took this off my phone weather app when I was done shooting:

they say 101 actual today (Saturday) ...I'm gonna get the yard work and honey do's done and get my butt inside for the hog game by 3 - darn heat!

I'm ready for some nice, COOL, fall hunting and fishing...don't know about you guys!

hope this was the right place for this - just feeling my way around the site.
In continuing last month's thread, that's a pretty nice grouping...I still need to take the .45 I bought last Nov out and shoot it. I used to have a couple of dirt piles around here that I would shoot into, but I've used them around the shop.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And it's September...lets all hope we're done with the unreasonably hot weather until next summer. That looks like the gun club range out past Lock & Dam 13. Nice grouping...especially since you were launching lead during the hottest part of the day.

Hey Jeff, how's that shoulder of yours?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 AM
sconap1
Junior User
thanks, Joe. I thought the grouping was OK for coming from the little LCP...which would only be a horrible up-close-worst-case thing. Congrats on the .45, that's a great round for sure.

Zhilton - yep, you got it. Old Fort Gun Club - just over the Lock and Dam bridge for us from Barling. As you know...it hasnt' rained here in a long time...that road thru the bottoms was 3" of pure powder I bet! Glad I wasn't behind me, haha.

Enjoy those Thursday nights - I remember them. Now I got a son that's a HS senior playing and our daughter in UAFS on the drill team so we spend a lot of time at games of all kinds.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
And it's September...lets all hope we're done with the unreasonably hot weather until next summer.

Hey Jeff, how's that shoulder of yours?
I hope the hot weather is about to break, I'm ready to go camping We're headed up to the Buffalo River 9/20-9/22 for our anniversary, probably Tyler Bend. If the hot weather holds, we might have to head to Buffalo point where there's electricity for some A/C.
Hey Zack, not the shoulder, it's the elbow But it seems to be healing well, head back to LR for a Dr. app. Thur, we'll see if he'll turn me loose to do anything besides PT. I'm about to go stir crazy

Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well, Dr. told me to lose the brace, be careful and keep doing as I have been No work or lifting for another 6 weeks though One big suprise was the fact that he doesn't think I need to do physical therapy.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM
sconap1
Junior User
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Well, Dr. told me to lose the brace, be careful and keep doing as I have been No work or lifting for another 6 weeks though One big suprise was the fact that he doesn't think I need to do physical therapy.
Congrats, Jeff!
I know I'm new here...but I been put out of action for awhile before...I know you are happy to get back in gear!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
One big suprise was the fact that he doesn't think I need to do physical therapy.
Well you've never really been the sit still type since I've known you. I suspect you're already doing a little off the books PT.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cookie88
Well you've never really been the sit still type since I've known you. I suspect you're already doing a little off the books PT.
You know it!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess I'm just as guilty as the next guy for not checking in for a while. Been a little busy with football season...the oldest is on the JV and plays in the band, so we're at a football game twice a week. Add to it working 60 hour weeks and dealing with the honey do's...anyone ever figure out if cloning is possible? Not sure if anyone else has found/discovered the "Powerstroke Parts counter" on Facebook...but I might be in trouble now. Yeah, it's mostly a diesel parts swap group...but there are other FoMoCo parts moving around. Like the pair of heated tow mirrors I just snagged for a $150. The ole Pavement Princess is fixing to get some more upgrades/improvements.

Hey Scott, you get that motor back together yet? I find it interesting those rod bolts went as far as they did if they were loose from the get go. You would have thought things would have gone south years ago.

Jeff, you still doing your own PT on the side with the elbow? Hope y'all had a safe trip up to the Ozarks for the anniversary.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Back together..... No. Got it all apart and foun out the block was all but destroyed. Cracks everywhere. Pulled a high mile 96 engine apart yesterday. It will serve as the replacement.

I'd like to be able to just work on it and get it done..... But life gets in the way. I go up and tinker with it on Wednesday afternoons, and Saturdays.

I'm hoping to drive it the 12th, but I only have 2 Saturdays between now and then..... Possible, but not too likely in my estimation.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Here's a bad-A bronco from the mud races yesterday:

AMMP Mud Race White County Fairgrounds 9/21/13

I'll post a few more as I get them uploaded..you don't get the nice smell of the alcohol exhaust though

My youngest got her # picked to be able to drive in the power wheels race at intermission. She took 2nd place and a cash pot of about $6.. not bad

Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
This jacked up ranger with tractor tires was good for a laugh: