Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Nissan with Cummins diesel 2015

Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Nissan with Cummins diesel 2015

Thought this is interesting.
Did Ford travel down the wrong road with everything invested in the gas Eco Boost??

'15 Nissan Titan pickup will get new Cummins diesel engine | Reuters

Craig

Old 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
118 views & not one comment. I guess I have shut up the Ford Lovers. That is unbelievable, never in all the years here, could I do this.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Probably because this is the 3rd or 4th thread on the subject.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Nothing like late to the party. But this article does shed light on what might of brought this merger together

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Better be reliable as parts and labor add up quick.

Myself I won't own a diesel truck with all the emissions crap, pee tank, DPF and all that jazz. I need something reliable over the long haul that I won't end up throwing tons of parts at every few years.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by dkf
Better be reliable as parts and labor add up quick.

Myself I won't own a diesel truck with all the emissions crap, pee tank, DPF and all that jazz. I need something reliable over the long haul that I won't end up throwing tons of parts at every few years.
I'm with you on owning new diesels. But with the craze over diesels what impact will this have on those that don't offer a diesel option?
I bought a Dodge V10 5 speed for my heavy hauler. It doesn't get the mileage of a diesel but 7 qts of oil at oil change time plus a $5 oil filter. I run FL1 Motorcraft on it & my F150.
Then today here on the Colorado River Az gas is $3.169/gal diesel is $3.699/gal.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i think it is going to be a BIG flop.
an untested turd in a turd of a truck.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by tjc transport
i think it is going to be a BIG flop.
an untested turd in a turd of a truck.
I agree Nissan has not been the best of trucks but very popular with the younger generation. On the west coast anyway.
But Cummins doesn't make turds untested. I believe I read this engine was designed prior but Dodge went with Motori which they & GM own. Formally owned by Detroit Diesel (GM).
So it will be interesting with the move of a Dodge Ram Executive to Nissan which started this design change.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 AM
dkf
Hotshot
I'm with you on owning new diesels. But with the craze over diesels what impact will this have on those that don't offer a diesel option?
I bought a Dodge V10 5 speed for my heavy hauler. It doesn't get the mileage of a diesel but 7 qts of oil at oil change time plus a $5 oil filter. I run FL1 Motorcraft on it & my F150.
Then today here on the Colorado River Az gas is $3.169/gal diesel is $3.699/gal.
No you are correct they have to offer what people want.(even if what the people want is an expensive POS) My V10 is approaching 10 years old and still has the original battery in it. Took brakes due to rusted rotors and needed some bulbs changed over the years. That is about it. I think I will have to replace the battery soon as it is at the age it could go any time. Only a 650CCA battery. Part of me wants to see how long it can go though.

I have to say though the Nissan trucks are not bad looking trucks. I am more of a fan of the Frontier than the Titan though. The car companies better not forget the mid size trucks. I figure they will become more popular in the future. I think it was a dumb move by Ford to drop the Ranger. If they would have got off their lazy asses and actual spent some time and money updating the dated platform and increasing the efficiency over the years sales would have not kept declining. Often times you get out of something what you put in. And Ford wasn't putting nothing into the Ranger. Same with the crown vic, E-series and some others over the years.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by dkf
No you are correct they have to offer what people want.(even if what the people want is an expensive POS) My V10 is approaching 10 years old and still has the original battery in it. Took brakes due to rusted rotors and needed some bulbs changed over the years. That is about it. I think I will have to replace the battery soon as it is at the age it could go any time. Only a 650CCA battery. Part of me wants to see how long it can go though.

I have to say though the Nissan trucks are not bad looking trucks. I am more of a fan of the Frontier than the Titan though. The car companies better not forget the mid size trucks. I figure they will become more popular in the future. I think it was a dumb move by Ford to drop the Ranger. If they would have got off their lazy asses and actual spent some time and money updating the dated platform and increasing the efficiency over the years sales would have not kept declining. Often times you get out of something what you put in. And Ford wasn't putting nothing into the Ranger. Same with the crown vic, E-series and some others over the years.
I agree with you. I put a battery in my Dodge this winter. It had been changed by the PO. It had an Interstate that was 5 years old. But I don't drive my Dodge that much. I try to drive it every two to three weeks to charge battery & lube everything. I love the truck but my F150 get about 13-15 in town & my Dodge gets 9-10 in town.
As for Ford the best Fords I ever owned were Rangers. When I met my wife she had an 88 Ranger 2wd. I owned a 90-94 both 4x4s then she & I bought a 92 Ranger 4x4.
I still say Ford bet everything on the EcoBoost. What I know is Ford cares nothing about Ford consumers that loved Fords from back in the day. They continue to lure new customers. They have got away with selling a lot of JUNK. Ford has gotten away from what made them the best. They are doing as many companies do & are living on their old reputation. The reason they have got away with it is for years they really never had any strong competition. But that is changing. Ram is taking a much bigger percentage of sales. They are building a strong following of customers. I seldom talk to a Dodge Ram owner who doesn't really like the truck. Dodge isn't throwing out what has given them this success. The Hemi,& Cummins, but are continuing to look at offering more proven options, Motori diesel, has been used in Europe by both GM & Fiat. This V-6 isn't unproven neither is the Cummins that Nissan will use.
I wouldn't buy a new Ford truck if I was to buy a new truck. I would go out & buy a Dodge Ram& never think twice.
Just my take on things. Right or wrong I bought several New Ford trucks over the years & Ford lost me to Ram. When my F150 wears out most likely a used 1500 Ram will replace it.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 AM
dkf
Hotshot
I am not a fan of Fiat really. I am definitely not a fan of Europe or the eurotrash vehicles that are starting to encroach onto the US market. RAM has a nice looking truck however I feel it is lacking in a few areas over Ford and even GM. I would roll around in a RAM before a GM though for several reasons. Trucks and even cars are going to change a lot in the next 10 years and I suspect a lot of people whom have interest in vehicles are not going to like it. I suspect the driving a 6000lb truck everywhere is going to start to decrease.

The Ecoboost is not the gas sipper Ford claims it to be and I am not really all that impressed with it. It makes good HP and TQ thanks to forced induction and runs on 87 thanks to direct injection. Maybe once they throw an 8 or 10 speed auto behind it and put there normal "lug the engine" shift strategy in it mpg will jump quite a bit. Honestly mpg is really not my main concern so I would opt with the 5.0l or 6.2l if I was buying a 150.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
The engine looks heavy in the video. I will interested to see the dressed engine weights. Better be using some CGI to keep the block material to a minimum or use some aluminum to shed weight. Pickups already have biased weight distribution to the front, a 900-1000 lb engine in the front of a 1/2 ton would suck.

A New Engine Choice Coming with the Next-Generation Nissan Titan - YouTube

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Yea, I don't know what drives this world anymore. Maybe I never did. I know my thoughts seem to be getting farther away from what is happening. I guess that is what happens when you get old. The world just passes you by & you really don't give a.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As usual you guys are completely missing the point of the new cummins/Nissan engine.

Yes the Titan grabs our attention but dollars to doughnuts the Titan getting this engine is an afterthought. The real reason for this motor is the nv series vans that Nissan is selling commercially like hotcakes.

Everyone else (including ford) abandoned the full sized HD van market. Nissan has set themselves up to mop all these un serviced sales up in spades

Old 10-25-2013, 06:01 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krochus
As usual you guys are completely missing the point of the new cummins/Nissan engine.

Yes the Titan grabs our attention but dollars to doughnuts the Titan getting this engine is an afterthought. The real reason for this motor is the nv series vans that Nissan is selling commercially like hotcakes.

Everyone else (including ford) abandoned the full sized HD van market. Nissan has set themselves up to mop all these un serviced sales up in spades
I will agree. i don't like the euro vans at all. I think GM still has traditional vans along with the nissan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan with Cummins diesel 2015