2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Why is the '14 rated so poorly by CR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to replace my 07 EB Explorer and have started to look at the options. In checking out Consumer Reports it ranks the 14 Explorer near the bottom of all midsize SUVs and the expected reliability is horrible. Since I had to get the trans rebuilt on my 07 at 75k, the radiator replaced at 85k and now I get a loud fan noise, I'm skeptical. Also, I need the SUV to drive on beaches, very loose and deep sand. Does the 14 Explore lock into low 4wd?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
No 4 low, review here:

2014 Ford Explorer SUV | Conquer Any Terrain While Surrounded By World Class Interior. Go Adventure | Ford.com

Why is it rated poorly? Because people who own Explorers who also filled out the CR survey had lots of problems. When you look at the CR report, what areas are problems? I have not looked, but my guess is the "Sync" thing has generated a lot of hate and may be responsible for a high "problem" count.

My '09 Tacoma was listed as a "used vehicle to avoid" because the (Delco) radios are faulty.

Dig into the CR trouble spots and see what you find.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
We have a 2012 with 20k on the odometer and "knock on wood" it's been flawless. The sync does have its moments by being slow to respond but it eventually does it properly. CR is full of chit and seems to love its advertisers the most.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
CR has no advertisers.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not many people I know even acknowledge CR exists, much less put any worth in their 'testing'...

I rate them right up there with mythbusters in that their 'controlled' test are such that the test give them the results they want !

and it may be correct that cr has no up front advertisers,
but for years it's taken 'suggestions' from it's favorite mfg's-
thus their 'unbiased reviews' are usually slanted, just like with MOST media outlets...

I stopped paying attention to cr when I was in my early 20's...

The wife's 13 sport has not had a hiccup - but she does not load up her ipod or iphone with 10000 songs, nor use sync for blue tooth streaming...

as stated - the sync/mft issues with iphone Bluetooth connectivity is probably the majority of complaints --- and personally, we use it as a CAR, not a pc most of the time

(and you DO know iphone's use a proprietary (read non-standard) Bluetooth connection which things other than apple stuff don't play well with )

Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Drive one and then come back...They are not nearly as nice in build quality as even a Grand Cherokee (which now almost sells 1:1 with the Explorer). They are a Taurus with a lift kit at best. We looked at an explorer (2013) and I didn't even make it 3 miles down the highway before you could tell it was a glorified Taurus and Ford made no attempt to mask it. You could feel each expansion joint and pothole cause chassis flex. Overall I would say they are more car like, which to me is bad for a SUV. The average owner probably won't even notice the amount of chassis flex that the explorer has but people who actually use one as a SUV will.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I have a 2012 Limited and have had no problems with it. Ride and handling are great, and the level of comfort is unsurpassed in any comparable vehicle. No complaints here, and I'll get a '14 in March.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monte - not sure who you are responding to...
but I have driven one - but ours is a 13 Sport which DOES have a different stock suspension than the other explorers...

and the wife LOVES it - as do I ! it's a nice daily driver... and looks customized without being customized...

Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Our 13 has been great! I wouldn't put any value into CR reviews. If it isn't a Honda, Toyota or hybrid of some type they aren't interested. Just look at how they 'tested' the Trooper back in the day.... shockingly a 4x4 can't do the slalom at the same speed and steering input as a Miata. Sync takes some getting used to but hasn't had any serious issues yet.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
CR has the predicted reliability rated with a solid black dot (worst) - stating "Much worse than average".

JD Powers
Initial Quality - Overall - 2 out 5 stars
Powertrain Quality - Mechanical - 4 out 5
Body & Interior Quality - Mechanical 2 out 5
Features and Accessories Quality - Mechanical 2 out of 5
Powertrain Quality - Design 3 out 5
Body & Interior Quality - Design 3 out 5
Features and Accessories Quality - Design 2 out 5

Edmunds +/-
Pros

Upscale cabin; abundant high-tech features; excellent ride/handling balance; excellent crash test safety scores; available fuel-efficient turbocharged four-cylinder.

Cons

Less third-row and cargo room than some rivals; feels bigger than it is behind the wheel; MyFord Touch is slow to respond and can be difficult to use.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
Our 13 has been great! I wouldn't put any value into CR reviews. If it isn't a Honda, Toyota or hybrid of some type they aren't interested. Just look at how they 'tested' the Trooper back in the day.... shockingly a 4x4 can't do the slalom at the same speed and steering input as a Miata. Sync takes some getting used to but hasn't had any serious issues yet.
I see you have a Bronco for a beach toy and live in NC. Have you had the 13 Explorer out on the beach? I surf fish in NJ and would want to take it on our beaches, some hard and many very soft. Any thoughts?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Jam3z
Junior User
We've got 23k miles on my wife's 2012 and we both love it. No problems except for MFT. The software is on its 3rd update from Ford. More reliable but still slow and clunky. Everything else has been great. I think CR hated the MFT when they first reviewed it and still hasn't gotten over it.
USAA rated the 2013 as a "best value" in class. That's reliability, safety and price. I think that nearly every review I have seen fusses about the touch screen but that seems to be it. Our dealer says they rarely do anything more than change oil and rotate tires on 'em. You be the judge, but I'd forget CR.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM
LI250
Senior User
Originally Posted by RhinoScores
I see you have a Bronco for a beach toy and live in NC. Have you had the 13 Explorer out on the beach? I surf fish in NJ and would want to take it on our beaches, some hard and many very soft. Any thoughts?
We have had ours out on the beaches and the only thing I wish I had was the 17's rather than the 20's. the plow on the front kinda sucks too. If you're experienced driving on sand and air down there should be no drama. That being said its not my beach truck. I just had it out to see how it would do.

The only setting I ever use on the "terrain management" in any condition is "SAND". It gives you 50/50 and minimal computer interference. Closest thing to real 4x4.

If CR rated the interior quality of the Honda pilot higher than the Explorer they are full of chit up to their ears.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:58 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Because it's not a Japanese or European import.

I quit reading CR years ago when they got left-wing political instead of sticking to product testing and reviews.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
doocrue
Junior User
We have a '13 Limited with 12,000 miles on it. No problems just the updates to MFT and now the fuel pump recall. Nice to drive. Wife loves it. We drove in a late spring blizzard in April with it. I was very impressed how the 4wd worked in the wet slush/ice freezing rain. In fact I thought it handled better than my '12 F150. When we got home it was ice up from top to bottom. I mean iced up to where the front grill was completely plugged with ice. I was impressed to say the least.
As far as CR, they should stick to evaluating toasters and wash machines.

Quick Reply: Why is the '14 rated so poorly by CR?