Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Upper Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
400Nut
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upper Michigan

Hey Michigan folks! I'm a Sconnie that will be traveling to the upper peninsula in a few weeks. I'm calling on you guys for advice on attractions, popular sites, and all other must see travel spots in the UP. We will be traveling up through Escanaba and running Hwy 2 across to St. Ignace, then also want to run up to the Soo locks. I will be traveling with my wife and 3 kids ages 3,8, and 10. All recommendations are appreciated.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not live in that area, but thing that has brought my wife and I up there a few times are the water falls, I think there are something like 101 falls in Michigan, 99 in the Up.

Then there is Big Spring (Kitch-iti-kipi).
This is neat because you pull yourself across the lake in a glass bottom boat.

Oswalds Bear Park is pretty cool as well.

White fish bay you can go out in a glass bottom boat to look at ship wrecks. They say if you drained the lake, you couldn't look anywhere with out seeing a wreck.

Of course the straits..

That's all I can think of in 20 sec's. I will be back..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
OK, the Soo is a good start. Take a tour of the locks on a tour boat, you can even have a dinner cruise.
The museum ship, "Valley Camp". A real lake boat run aground, and made into a museum. You walk all over it.
The "Tower of History", never been in it, but seems interesting.
Don't forget to go over to "Antlers" restaurant, everyone has to go there at least once. Food is so-so, but they have many taxidermied, [is that a word?], critters.
Then, you must become a true "fudgy". What's a fudgy? It's a tourist bound for Mackinaw Island. No motor vehicles allowed, just bicycles and horses. It's been likely 50 years since I've been there, but all real Michiganders have to go there once, and never again. Now tourists, they like it.
The Mackinac bridge, pronounced "mack-in-naw". Sorry but true. There are tour boats that run you around out to the bridge, and under it. You might see a thousand footer out there.
Taquamenom falls, Hiawatha land. I likely misspelled that name.
Pictured Rocks over by Menominee on Lake Superior.
And if you go to Whitefish Point, don't forget to bring your swim gear. Everyone has to swim in Lake Superior once in their life. Do it, and you'll see why you only do it once. Don't anyone tell him why!!!

If anyone doesn't know why, pm me, I'll tell ya why, and how I know!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My buddy is the taxidermist for Antlers. The food has gotten better in the past few years with the new owners. Definitely a must go!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
My buddy is the taxidermist for Antlers. The food has gotten better in the past few years with the new owners. Definitely a must go!
Well if that ain't cool. Last December, I had to renew my FAST card with U.S./Canada customs, and went over there for lunch. You can sit where you can see the river just on the down bound end of the locks. There are eagles and ospreys fishing there. The Stewart Cort, the first thousand footer on the lakes was up bound as well. It's not only the first one built, it's also known as the ugliest boat on the lakes. Regardless, he's still a big boy.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
I just thought of something else the OP, or anyone going up there might enjoy. If you cross the bridge into Mackinac City, yes, still pronounced mack-in-naw, there was a very good little restaurant called Scalawags. They sell deep fried whitefish and chips, with a side of very good coleslaw. They were in the little walk around on the south side of the main drag, down toward the east end. The owner has fresh whitefish daily. It's the only restaurant I've EVER been to, that I'll buy the fish.
The Coast Guard Ice Breaker, the Mackinaw, is retired there, and they have tours on it as well
At the foot of the bridge, is Fort Michilimackinac, [spelling?]. It is a replica more or less of the fort that was built there.
Also, if you go down US23 a few miles, there is a place called Mill Creek. I've never been there either, but it's quite a tourist destination.
Funny how living more or less in the vicinity, how you really don't go to a lot of the tourist places. LOL

Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok. Let's start with the spelling. Below the bridge, it's spelled with a "w". Above the bridge, it's a "c". As in Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. If you're driving across on US2, there's a ghost town called Fayetteville I believe. Oswald's Bear Park is supposed to be pretty cool. Every one should visit the Mystery Spot once. I can't remember what it's called, but there is a cliff lookout just outside of St. Ignace off from I75. If you go to the island, try to leave from Mackinaw City. Certain boats will take you right under the bridge. Maybe they do that from St. Ignace too. By the way, St. Ignace was established in 1671. It's the 2nd oldest city in the US.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I think Scalawags is a chain as there is one in Traverse City too. Mill Creek is great for kids.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I think Scalawags is a chain as there is one in Traverse City too. Mill Creek is great for kids.
Last I knew, the owner had a place downstate in Grand Rapids IIRC. He also had one in I think Traverse City. It's been around 4-5 years since I've been to the one in Mackinac City, but I used to go there a few times in the summer months. Like almost anything there, it's shut down in the off months. On a dead Saturday, I'd actually drive the 100 miles or so just to have some good fish.

Oh, don't forget Castle Rock, exit 348 off I75. It's quite a hike up all the steps, but you get a nice overlook.

Now I didn't know that about the spellings, I never can remember what is which, and I drive through there almost everyday. LOL

Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
That's it. Castle Rock!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
That's it. Castle Rock!
I had to sit here and think about it as well, and like I said, I drive by it almost everyday!!LOL

Other than suggesting getting a pasty somewhere along 2, I can't think of anything more right now!!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Hey Torr, wasn't there somewhere around Mackinac City that had Lumberjack shows? Glad we don't do it like that anymore, always looked like a lot more work.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I know they have been advertising it on the radio, but they never say where. I assumed it was at Mill Creek.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Hah!! No one reads this thread, here's how I know. Pictured Rocks is up by Munising, not Menominee like I originally posted, and no one caught it. I get them confused all the time. But, what the crap? They both start with M.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
That's ok. I thought Menomonee was in Wisconsin.

Quick Reply: Upper Michigan