Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

F800 Brake/Turn Signal Wiring

Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F800 Brake/Turn Signal Wiring

Greetings all,
Long time reader, new member, hoping to be able to get help and help others. I have a 1998 F800 with a cummins 5.9. I lost my turn signals, and am trying to get them back. Under the dash, there was a red wire spliced into a fuse, spliced into a blue wire that goes to the brake pedal button. The fuse was melted, so I removed it, and straight wired the red and blue wires. I have brake lights, but no turn signals, however I do have hazards.
However, if I turn on the hazards, the electric brake motor comes on at each "flash."
Should I put the fuse in, or should something else go in? so It does not activate the brake motor. Or is there some other thing I should look for? Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 AM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some one wired that thing wrong.. obviously.

There should be 2 switches on the brake pedal. One for the lights and one for the emergency pump on the brake manifold.

Sounds like someone pulled the brake lights from the wrong switch and it was actually the brake booster switch..

No turn signals is probably related to brake switch issue. Just start at the flasher and move either towards the fuse box or towards the signal switch..

Good luck out there..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
rummer,
Thank you. I will give it a go, and see what I find.

John

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
Rummur,
When I look below the dash, I only see one switch on the brake pedal. (It was getting dark when I looked, so I will look more closely at first light tomorrow) The picture (linked) below shows the wires leaving that switch. The Red wire spilts into two wires shortly after the switch. The black wire I assume is incoming power, as when I jumped the existing splice to the red wire that was hanging, the brake lights are constant on.
http://sites.lafayette.edu/wilsonj/f800/

As you can see on the picture, there is a blue splice on that black wire. Then, on the red wire is another splice. This splice is the one that allows me to have brake lights, and hazards, but the brake motor comes on with the hazard flash.

I do not see any other loose wires below, but as I said earlier, I will dig deeper in the morning.

Also, I installed a new Turn signal switch a while ago. When I installed it, I had a white plastic piece that did not go to anything. The original switch that I removed, did not have this extra wire. This can be seen in the second picture on the link above.

If there was a second switch, where would I look? Or what other things might I look for.

Thank you,
John

Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 PM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant remember if they were stacked, or if one was up where the pedal pivots? The truck I was remembering was a 1990 ford f700 with a 429, its possible they're different too.

Any body have a wiring diagram to confirm the two switches?

Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
I found the tail of the wire that was spliced. It was cut out of the fuse box. I put it back together, and I have brake lights. However, I still do not have turn signals.
I can get the turn signals to work when the switch is out of the steering column. As soon as I put the switch into the steering column, and screw it down, it no longer works. It is almost as if something is grounding out. I think I have the wrong switch, so I am going to look into this next. RockAuto says Standard Motor Products #CBS1917. The switch I have in currently has the number 60H193, not sure of the manufacturer.

See what tomorrow brings.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Have you got this figured out yet? AS my 1987 F800 is doing the same with the lights. Now it has air brakes so does not have your issue.
But Blinkers ar dim or don't work at all. Shows there working on the dash, but not any lights blinking 95% of the time. Now Flashers work most of the time front and back.

Thinking its in the switch at the steering wheel but not sure yet.
Pete

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
It definately was the switch in the steering column. The hazards contacts work, but the turn signals do not work, unless the hazards pull lever thing is in just the right spot. Now if I have no blinkers, I just wiggle the hazard thing, and all is well again.

John

Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnwilsonosf
It definately was the switch in the steering column. The hazards contacts work, but the turn signals do not work, unless the hazards pull lever thing is in just the right spot. Now if I have no blinkers, I just wiggle the hazard thing, and all is well again.

John
Thanks I know if I'm running down the road I have turn singles but there dim. But sitting still its a crap shoot.
Will be taking the wheel off and putting a new switch on .
Pete

Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pete Kildow
Thanks I know if I'm running down the road I have turn singles but there dim. But sitting still its a crap shoot.
Will be taking the wheel off and putting a new switch on .
Pete
Found my issue. Some fool has the power to the blinkers coming from the Altnator and not the battery. Thus you have to be turning enough RPM's for the power to kick in. Then I have blinkers.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
You just have to power through the turns.....lol

Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
You just have to power through the turns.....lol
Got that right, but how about when sitting still waiting to turn?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Somehow there was a Black wire with the end nakid behind the fuse box on mine. It was shorting out the Flasher, when I got it out of the way. Turn signals work perfect now. Not sure how or why it was under the box. But it sure was and have not tracked it down yet to see where it runs to.

Thought I would update this . As I know its nice to find out the ending to issues. And may help someone else out, never know when the same crazy guy may have worked on yours.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
johnwilsonosf
New User
Pete, I agree. I think we had the same crazy guy working on our trucks. Glad you found that wire.....Now the fun part....looking for the other half of that black wire. Good luck.

John

Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Pete, I agree. I think we had the same crazy guy working on our trucks. Glad you found that wire.....Now the fun part....looking for the other half of that black wire. Good luck.

John
John I fear it may run to the Transformer for the REactor with the stupid stuff this guy or guys did on wiring some stuff. Will be rewiring all the lights and switches on it. And still looking for the wire to the radiator for the warning buzzer and temp gauge. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F800 Brake/Turn Signal Wiring