1963 Econoline Gas Tank Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
ChopperJon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1963 Econoline Gas Tank Installation

Hey I'm just wondering where the overflow tube on the top of this tank is supposed to be run. I'm probably just going to run it over the tank and let it hang out the back as I assume it doesn't really matter. Any input would be great, first post I'm new here! Thanks for the help! I'll try and get some pictures of said econoline later.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM
OGB
Cross-Country
It runs to the left side of truck through a hole in frame forward of the gusset that goes from the body side to the frame, then through a hole in that gusset and the up into the top of the box that encloses the gas filler hose. It has a metal return bend at he end of the hose (works fine without it unless you are fording some very deep water). Welcome I have a 63 econoline pickup. If you are having any trouble with the gas gauge make sure you run a ground wire from the gas tank to the frame.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
kjhales
New User
To add to OGB's reply, the vent tube runs to an inverted U that's about 12"-18" high, to keep fuel from leaking out. A straight horizontal tube over the edge of the tank could spill gas. The shop manual advises to avoid dips in any horizontal section to prevent fuel from puddling there, and horizontal section should drain back to the tank.

I had an engine fire once from leaked fuel, I try to cross the t's and dot the i's on fuel system work.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 PM
scoobyvanjack
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vent line

sorry if i'm late sounding in, just reading around and this caught my eye. but kj's got it right run line to the stand pipe, "fluid separator" my out let from the stand pipe required a second section of hose that ran rear ward to back to a second hole in the frame just end keep it tidy. it just tucked into it but mine has the long body. later models have a box by the filler pipe some later still ran to a canister. even with a good ground wire my gauge is still a bit wacky. i may need a constant voltage regulator. one of the other threads tells how to build one if need be though are you a 6 volt system you may not have one if so. Dennis Carpenter sells the sender units if need be.