1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Bump side bronco

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking he started with a 78 / 79 Bronco and grafted the panels, changed the doors and front fenders. The top is real close to what my 79 looks like. From what little i can see of the front frame it looks like my 79 with the double shocks. Don't know just guessing , i wish he showed more detail and told a little more about it.

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
67-F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats awesome! i want that!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like we have acouple different opinions on what exactly is going on with this bronco I may have to give this guy a call and see if he will mind going into detail of what exactly he did but man is it one interesting build or what?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Tinstar36
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it wish I had the money for another project

Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 AM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
Jim, there is precedence for this swap as I have seen a bumpside cab and shortened bed welded together just like the integral bed 61-63 F-100's mounted on a 78-79 Bronco chassis running around Nampa. I believe that this is a bump cab and bed with a 78-79 Bronco roof and fiberglass cap mounted. The Bronco roof must be just a little bit wider than the bump roof as you can see a parting line where the two meet. People have kind of done the same thing to Bronco II's to make them have a removable top like the early Broncos.
Jim, I'm curious where the shot of your Bronco was taken.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by RichS2659
Jim, there is precedence for this swap as I have seen a bumpside cab and shortened bed welded together just like the integral bed 61-63 F-100's mounted on a 78-79 Bronco chassis running around Nampa. I believe that this is a bump cab and bed with a 78-79 Bronco roof and fiberglass cap mounted. The Bronco roof must be just a little bit wider than the bump roof as you can see a parting line where the two meet. People have kind of done the same thing to Bronco II's to make them have a removable top like the early Broncos.
Jim, I'm curious where the shot of your Bronco was taken.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
The picture was taken in my back yard towards the north in south west Idaho about 35 miles west of the state capital , Boise Idaho. 5 miles farther to the west is the Snake River which is the state line to Oregon. You can't see it in the picture due to some overcast but the "Sawtooth" mountains are to the north and east of us and the " Owyhee " mountains to the south and west. . If not for the overcast you could see some high snow covered mountain peaks when it was taken.We live in what is referred to as the "snake River Plains" area.

I'm thinking you may be right about how it was put together. If you look close and compare my bronco roof to it there is some difference in them.
The tail gate looks like a pickup tailgate not a bronco one.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Ford 67 Ford
Senior User
Thumbs up

That's just too cool. Proportions seem good from pics. Someone on the forum needs to get this.
If all the welds and fab work are done correctly it's worth what he's askin and he'd probably come down a bit. Later.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is the truck I think it is there is not too much of the '78/'79 Bronco left body wise. There was a build somewhere on the net of this type of truck. He took a pickup & cut everything he needed from the truck to make it a Bump Bronco. He put the roof panel from the pickup, door jambs, extensive work in the rear to make all that work back there. If I remember correctly the front portion of the floor is bump grafted into the Bronco rear floor panel. The build might even be here at FTE if someone did a search for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
If it is the truck I think it is there is not too much of the '78/'79 Bronco left body wise. There was a build somewhere on the net of this type of truck. He took a pickup & cut everything he needed from the truck to make it a Bump Bronco. He put the roof panel from the pickup, door jambs, extensive work in the rear to make all that work back there. If I remember correctly the front portion of the floor is bump grafted into the Bronco rear floor panel. The build might even be here at FTE if someone did a search for it.

I texted a bit with the owner, very nice guy. He cut mid roof and forward off a dent bronco and grafted in a bump cab (doors and all) with the back cut off. then cut the rear fenders out and grafted on bump fenders.

Said this was his first try at something like this, i think he did a GREAT job. and said that he didnt do a write up on it anywhere on the net.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 PM
damarble
Elder User
Pretty cool! Imagine if he'd done a crew cab.

Originally Posted by jim collins
The picture was taken in my back yard
I thought that looked familiar. I spent my teenage years in the Caldwell/Parma area.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If i was closer this would already have a home !

Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
I texted a bit with the owner, very nice guy. He cut mid roof and forward off a dent bronco and grafted in a bump cab (doors and all) with the back cut off. then cut the rear fenders out and grafted on bump fenders.

Said this was his first try at something like this, i think he did a GREAT job. and said that he didnt do a write up on it anywhere on the net.
There is 1 on the net also. Imagine that 2 trucks like this.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by damarble
Pretty cool! Imagine if he'd done a crew cab.

I thought that looked familiar. I spent my teenage years in the Caldwell/Parma area.
I live on a small acreage 2 miles north of Parma , been in the general area most of my life and I'm an old codger.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
damarble
Elder User
Originally Posted by jim collins
I live on a small acreage 2 miles north of Parma , been in the general area most of my life and I'm an old codger.
As they say, small world. I lived on Roswell Rd and worked at the U of I in Parma.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Brady thanks for sharing what you found out that sure clears it up alot about this mystery machine. Looks like he did a good job from everything that he's done to it any idea on man hours involved? If it were closer I believe I'd have this by now.

Quick Reply: Bump side bronco