6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

So how will Ford respond to GM's new "best in class" 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how will Ford respond to GM's new "best in class" 6.2?

Now that GM has released preliminary figures for their 2014 6.2 EcoTec3:

420 hp/450 lb-ft (vs. 403/417 in their current 6.2).

By comparison, Ford's 6.2 (in F-150 applications) makes 411 hp/434 lb-ft.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
They'll have to do something - question is when. And how well does the GM powerplant get the power to the ground (i.e. who has the better tranny).

For me to go GM, first they'd have to toss out whomever is making these plain jane styling exterior and interior decisions and get with the program. Ford and Ram have figured it out.

BTW nice to see another Audi owner here

Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
To me I could care less that they make more power, I absoutely hate the look of GM products and the new ones are just a rehash of everything I don't like. The one thing about companies advancing their engine tech is that everyone wins as there is no question Ram and Ford will respond at some point. And when you look at the measures they took to get their numbers (direct injection etc) Ford should have no issue matching them.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to believe they're working on something right now, but aren't ready to bring it out, or possibly they have more R&D dollars to recoup on the 6.2 first. The 2014 gas engine power was brought up in a recent post, and it looks like they aren't upping the ante just yet. Hope this gets it done before I buy. BTW, some really good incentives just came out on the 2013 gassers that are delivered on or before 7/8. Wish I had one ordered right now.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM
LCT
Junior User
As I said in an earlier post, I always owned Chevrolets and was seriously considering a 14' Silverado until I compared its interior and exterior styling with the SD and considering the Ford 6.2 has been around for a few years whereas the GM's 6.2 "deactivation" power plant has not. The GM styling, or lack thereof, is disappointing. I never purchased a new model with a unproven power plant . That is precisely why I went with a 13" SD. She has more than enough power for me. As others have said, I suspect Direct Fuel Injection is a likely progression. Perhaps a Eco boost option.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford's 6.2L has a lot more room to grow, at least when it comes to horsepower. It's an iron block SOHC engine with 2 valves and typical multi-port injection. If they wanted to they could make it an aluminum DOHC with 4 valves, direct injection, Ti-VCT, and 7 liters of displacement. They've even tested twin-turbo direct injected versions.

You can tell when they designed the Boss 6.2L engine that they didn't want to be limited like they were with the modular family. The modular design was stuck with a 100mm bore spacing. By comparison, GM uses a 110mm bore spacing in their small block/LS engines and the Hemi uses a 113mm bore spacing.

Ford's 6.2L uses a 115mm bore spacing. That's bigger than even their old 289/302/351/400, which was 111mm. Not quite as big as the old FE series (390/427/428) though, which was 117.6mm.

Basically, the sky is the limit. Ford just has to decide what they want to do and when. It's a tricky balance game they have to play with things like emissions, fuel economy, engine costs, and the hp/tq of their competitors.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Amelio
Senior User
This is nothing new or special to me.....it's kinda like cell phones every year a "bigger"...."badder" version comes out and you cant keep up unless you trade up every year.

I have always owned Chevrolet products.......when I got out of my '06 Denali and into my '12 SD the decision was not made due to power. All of the big 3 trucks out there make plenty of power to do what you need and some need more than others which diesels are available. I prefer the styling and interior of the Ford much better than the Chevrolet and the size difference was a factor also I like the bigger truck. GM has fantastic power plants but a few more hp and tq is not enough for me to over come that boring *** interior.

If we were talking huge power difference numbers than maybe it would come into question but as close as it is that is not a problem for me. More power can always be had it just comes down to how much you wanna spend......do you wanna trade up every year for the newer badder model or just spend money on your current ride to equal the new trucks......Or my option is leave it the hell alone until it does not do what I want it too then make a move.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Two words: Government Motors

So long as they keep hanging the blue oval on the grill, I'm in.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
twofifties
New User
I think 03 SVT VERT has it right. The lead engineer behind the development of the 6.2l is quoted on this site saying they built it with the potential for significant improvements. When pressed he also mentioned upgrading from the current 2 valve as a quick potential improvement. It doesn't sound like they'll push through changes in 2014, but in 2015 I'd expect a 'significant' response. I say significant because these are not small percentage differences to make up on the competition, and you don't want to respond, just to have them come back right away with slightly better numbers to claim 'best in class' performance all over again.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
BigMix
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckfella
Two words: Government Motors

So long as they keep hanging the blue oval on the grill, I'm in.

Amen! Right there with you.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
2500ak
Senior User
I'm surprised at how low those numbers are. Back in 07 they did tests where they shoe horned their direct injection system onto an L92 Gen IV engine and it supposedly made north of 450hp. For the Gen V they've redesigned specifically for DI, and fallen short of the prototype.

Either they were overoptimistic, or they've had to nix compression or cut back on the cam durations or something.

I'm guessing the former. I think they're still at about the same 10.5:1 the LQ9 was at. I'll bet the L92 DIG prototype was bumped up past that.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by twofifties
I think 03 SVT VERT has it right. The lead engineer behind the development of the 6.2l is quoted on this site saying they built it with the potential for significant improvements. When pressed he also mentioned upgrading from the current 2 valve as a quick potential improvement. It doesn't sound like they'll push through changes in 2014, but in 2015 I'd expect a 'significant' response. I say significant because these are not small percentage differences to make up on the competition, and you don't want to respond, just to have them come back right away with slightly better numbers to claim 'best in class' performance all over again.
The differences are not that big, one needs to remember this engine is only in the 1/2 ton at this time and well the 6.2 in the F150 makes what? 411 hp and 434 ft lbs so 9 hp and 16 ft lbs as the OP stated.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
The numbers released for GM's new direct injection 6.2L are for the aluminum block version that will be available in some 1500 models. I have been told it is not what will be offered in the new GM HD's, which will be out next year as 2015's.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
2500ak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
The numbers released for GM's new direct injection 6.2L are for the aluminum block version that will be available in some 1500 models. I have been told it is not what will be offered in the new GM HD's, which will be out next year as 2015's.

Interesting, I heard a rumor a while back of a 7.0L DI gas engine. Wonder if they'll make it.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 2500ak
Interesting, I heard a rumor a while back of a 7.0L DI gas engine. Wonder if they'll make it.
I heard that one too. No official word though. Also heard a rumor that a new Duramax is coming, but it is still a few years away. Probably will not be in the next gen. HD's when they go on sale.

Quick Reply: So how will Ford respond to GM's new "best in class" 6.2?