Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

MAY Chat / Off topic thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAY Chat / Off topic thread

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Finally get to start one!!!

To keep on with the animal talk..... This is a rooster I got back in November.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Except you're a minute late.

That's ok tho.... I'll delete mine so you can think you were first.

Happy May Day!

Last edited by cookie88; 05-01-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Wild hogs are common in my part of the state. Really can't have a garden or any plants on the ground at my place on the river, the hogs come through occasionally and just mow everything down to a nub
Where are you? northern AR?

-The Great

To continue a discussion from the April thread
Actually I'm in south central AR, about 15 miles from the LA line.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jeff, Scott! Good afternoon everyone!!! "MAY" this month be better than crappy April!!

So if shooting wild hogs isn't really regulated, do you at least have to report to the state how many you killed, or is it again, just shoot as many as you can no questions asked?

-The Great

Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT

So if shooting wild hogs isn't really regulated, do you at least have to report to the state how many you killed, or is it again, just shoot as many as you can no questions asked?

-The Great
It's really a free-for-all The Game and Fish want folks to kill as many as they can because they can starve game out of an area. Deer camps are known to just kill them and leave them where they fall. If I kill an animal the meat is going home with me. A wild boar hog isn't worth the bullet used to kill them though, the meat isn't fit to eat.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that month went quick! Been riding the scooter the last couple of days to/from work. Still slightly chilly in the mornings, but in the afternoon with the sun on my back...I feel like a real biker. Then one of those Harley boys goes screaming by and I realize I'm not cool like those boys. Hey Jeff, did you see they're predicting snow in parts of Oklahoma Thursday?
As long as your not breaking wildlife (out of season) or firearm safety laws...get as many as you can is how the Game & Fish sees 'em. Like Jeff, said...the more you kill the less there are tearing up the habitat for the trophy game. I need to talk to my buddy here in town that bagged that one in Sheridan last fall. Seems like they took 5 or 6 out and killed at least four others he said. But he did admit there was "some beer" consumed at deer camp, so he's not exactly sure on the count. I do know one of the guys at work trapped 8 over the course of a week. Thinks he got 'em all, or they got smart to the trap.
A wild boar hog isn't worth the bullet used to kill them though, the meat isn't fit to eat.
Add to it, the more you kill and leave...the more the possums have to eat. Which means more possums, and depending on where you live...the more we have to deal with on the tracks. They are greasy and not what we want for good rail adhesion.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
It's really a free-for-all The Game and Fish want folks to kill as many as they can because they can starve game out of an area. Deer camps are known to just kill them and leave them where they fall. If I kill an animal the meat is going home with me. A wild boar hog isn't worth the bullet used to kill them though, the meat isn't fit to eat.
So are they just barely related to a Pig then? I mean pretty much the whole pig is tasty!!! I mean if they were even close to related I would think it would be good to eat. Have either of you gentlemen eaten Wild Boars before?

-The Great

Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Except you're a minute late.

That's ok tho.... I'll delete mine so you can think you were first.

Happy May Day!
Thanks!! If I wasnt looking for the link to the picture I would probably posted first.

So are they just barely related to a Pig then? I mean pretty much the whole pig is tasty!!! I mean if they were even close to related I would think it would be good to eat. Have either of you gentlemen eaten Wild Boars before?

-The Great

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boarhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig
Looking at the scientific classification, they a cousins. Pigs (domesticated) are pretty damn tasty for sure but a straight out of the woods wild hog would probably taste like crap. If you caught one & finished it off on corn for a couple months, then it might be good if it isnt to old.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro

-The Great
Most af the wild hogs are a mix of wild/domesticated hogs that have been turned out in the river bottoms to fend for themselves. For many years folks had marks that were a series of notches cut into the ears to identify their hogs, but the timber companies and landowners have about broken up the hog claims in this part of the state. I have eaten many hogs that were caught or killed in the wild, the statement about the wild boar also goes for a domesticated boar that has been rutting with a sow recently, the meat will be tainted. We used to catch small pigs and cut them, then turn them back out to grow. If a boar still has his nuts, it's a gamble as to how good the meat will be.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Will P.
Senior User
Most af the wild hogs are a mix of wild/domesticated hogs that have been turned out in the river bottoms to fend for themselves. For many years folks had marks that were a series of notches cut into the ears to identify their hogs, but the timber companies and landowners have about broken up the hog claims in this part of the state. I have eaten many hogs that were caught or killed in the wild, the statement about the wild boar also goes for a domesticated boar that has been rutting with a sow recently, the meat will be tainted. We used to catch small pigs and cut them, then turn them back out to grow. If a boar still has his nuts, it's a gamble as to how good the meat will be.

Yep, what he said. Sows and young boars are good to eat. They don't taste the same and don't have as much fat as domestic, corn fed hogs, but they still taste pretty good. Mature boars stink and they taste like they smell. The AGFC says that there are hogs in all 75 counties in Arkansas. As for mountain lions, I saw one southwest of Glenwood near the Antoine river. It walked out of the woods and down to the river and then back up into the woods. Alligators range up the Arkansas river and other rivers and lakes south of there. I have seen two black bears. One was on the north side of Lake Ouachita and the other was in the White River Refuge.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Afternoon gentlemen. Seen in the news Friday morning that Allen got about 3" or so of the white junk up there in NWA. Glad it was them and not us.
Originally Posted by Will P.
As for mountain lions, I saw one southwest of Glenwood near the Antoine river. It walked out of the woods and down to the river and then back up into the woods.
The one and only time I saw one was near Flippin...about 4-5 miles west of town. I've always heard they were here, but never saw one until that evening. The same with the Bobcats, you almost never see one...but they're in the area.
Alligators range up the Arkansas river and other rivers and lakes south of there.
The only place I've ever seen 'em (outside the LR Zoo) was around Millwood. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hanging around Jeff's place there at Mount Holly.
I have seen two black bears. One was on the north side of Lake Ouachita and the other was in the White River Refuge.
Both time I've seen black bears were at Mt. Magazine in the camping area. Queen Wilhamena state park rangers tell me they're a pest from time to time there as well; but I've never seen one in the park area. I remember seeing what was left of one at the Johnson/Franklin county line on I40 after a mini-van hit it. Neither the van nor the bear left the scene under they're own power.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
No gators that I'm aware of around Mount Holly, but we do have some around the Moro Bay area.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
No gators that I'm aware of around Mount Holly, but we do have some around the Moro Bay area.
Sorry about that, I have a hard time keeping up with all your land and toys...being the weathly timber baron that you are.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Morning Gentlemen! SO it's their nuts or their testosterone that makes wild boars taste bad? So if you neutered them at a younger age perhaps the meat would be tolerable?

-The Great

Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
So if you neutered them at a younger age perhaps the meat would be tolerable?

-The Great
Exactly! That's what I was talking about catching and cutting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAY Chat / Off topic thread