Conversion from recirc to fresh air heater

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
walkee
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conversion from recirc to fresh air heater

Hi all,

I have the idea to change my existing recirculating heater to fresh air. Seems I have to change some things at the kick panel and I have to start a search for the ducts. I already have the vents and louvers (for both sides).

The main question for me is : do I have to replace the heater and blower as well ? Or can I keep the heater unit and the front cover with the round air outlets and "just" fit the long and kinda S-formed duct to the heater unit ? And there is another duct for the passage to the kick panel to complete it.

The S-formed duct also seems to have a fresh air block-off inside, moved by a cable, is that right ?

Would be pleased to get some input, Tom

Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by walkee
Hi all,

I have the idea to change my existing recirculating heater to fresh air. Seems I have to change some things at the kick panel and I have to start a search for the ducts. I already have the vents and louvers (for both sides).

The main question for me is : do I have to replace the heater and blower as well ? Or can I keep the heater unit and the front cover with the round air outlets and "just" fit the long and kinda S-formed duct to the heater unit ? And there is another duct for the passage to the kick panel to complete it.

The S-formed duct also seems to have a fresh air block-off inside, moved by a cable, is that right ?

Would be pleased to get some input, Tom
You don't have to change the blower half of the heater box. Just the half that holds the actual heater core (the back half that bolts up to the firewall)

And yes you will need to get a duct piece that goes in the kick panel.

And yes the fresh air heater has another cable. The function of that cable is to close off or open up for fresh air from outside. I am not sure where that cable is operated from right now. I would have to look into that.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
walkee
Senior User
Hi Blaine,

thanks a lot for your detailed info and the pics !
But now I have another question : the two waterpipes from the heater heading trough the firewall are crossing the position of the assumed fresh air duct.

Are there holes in the duct for the pipes or are they routing a different way when having a fresh air heater ? Looking at your 1st pic the pipes run parallel to the RH mounting bolt about 1 inch RH from it.

Thanks, Tom

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by walkee
Hi Blaine,

thanks a lot for your detailed info and the pics !
But now I have another question : the two waterpipes from the heater heading trough the firewall are crossing the position of the assumed fresh air duct.

Are there holes in the duct for the pipes or are they routing a different way when having a fresh air heater ? Looking at your 1st pic the pipes run parallel to the RH mounting bolt about 1 inch RH from it.

Thanks, Tom
You should be able to reuse the same heater core whether you have or don't have the fresh air option. The fresh air option should be just added onto the heater box and not affect the heater core. But I can double check when I can find some time.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM
walkee
Senior User
Yes Blaine, I would ask you or anybody else for a double check. Please see the pic below, it´s a shot from the bottom of the RH kick panel upwards to the heater. RH is firewall, LH is the blower housing and above is the glove compartment.

The water pipes seem to be in the way of the fresh air duct, aren´t they ?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
I can take pictures this weekend I have both styles of the heater but I think what it is, is the fresh air box is closer to the firewall but still uses the same heater core. The reason why I think that is I think the heater core I currently have in my fresh air heater was from a recirc. heater.

I will take a few pics this weekend of both heater boxes with the heater cores in them.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Here are some pictures of both styles side by side. From what I see the fresh air heater has just the extra duct work riveted onto the normal recirulating air heater box. Both heater cores that I have fit in either heater box. One was originally from the recirc. heater and the other from the fresh air heater.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
walkee
Senior User
Here are some pictures of both styles side by side. From what I see the fresh air heater has just the extra duct work riveted onto the normal recirulating air heater box. Both heater cores that I have fit in either heater box. One was originally from the recirc. heater and the other from the fresh air heater.

Blaine, these pics and the infos help a lot ! Thank you for clarifying the heater core fits in either heater box. Pic #6 shows the duct from firewall side and there is a square opening to let the heater pipes pass.

Does anybody know there is kind of a grommet to seal opening and pipes from fresh air going wrong way ? Well anyway, I can create something to make it seal.

Now it´s my turn to find the fresh air parts. Is there anybody who´s willing to trade ?

You´re very helpful Blaine, thanks a lot !

Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM
walkee
Senior User
Well, gonna warm up this older thread .... because I´m still in the need of the back half of the heater box and the duct piece for the kick panel for my heater conversion from recirc to fresh air.

From the distance of europe it´s hard to get access to the US used parts market. Can anybody help me out with these parts or give me a hint where to look for ? Would prefer to have the original parts from fabbing something by myself.

Maybe Mr. Numberdummy has some idea ? Thanks !

Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 PM
63flareside
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the parts if you wanna get me an address I can get a shipping quote on them.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 AM
walkee
Senior User
63flareside, you have a PM ...

Old 03-02-2015, 05:21 PM
63flareside
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
twitbeck
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are several other parts that go with the Magic air option. the cable control panel mounts under the dash at the drivers right hand. there should be 2 dimples in the dash showing where it is to be mounted. you will need the cables also. You will need the hot water temperature control valve. Most inner fenders have 3 dimples again to locate the control valve. There are no after market parts for these so you have to look hard. the last items are the fan switch and magic air bezel. The non circulating fan switch doubles as the pull cable for the defrost control. The magic air defrost control is at the temperature control panel. the recirculation fan switch will work with the magic air and you can just ignore the pull part of it, but the bezel is a dead give away that something has been changed. Be patient and you will find what you need.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM
walkee
Senior User
@ twitbeck :

Thank you for pointing me on that. The cable control panel is definately the part I´m gonna look for now. I already have a water control valve (from a T%&§@a car) what works fine but in this process of a original conversion this will be also a part to look for.

Do I understand right there is another separate temperatur control panel ?
And where is it located ? I´ve never seen these parts before ... can anybody post me a pic please of what it looks like ?

For the cables I guess I´ll fab something on my own with aftermarket products because there will be less original cables in acceptable condition. Have to replace my existing cables for fresh air L/R and defrost etc. anyway due to rust and aging.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 589 Likes on 529 Posts
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CB4QMygBMAE

I have seen them on Ebay but not for awhile. It mounts under the dash.

Quick Reply: Conversion from recirc to fresh air heater