DPFE & Pinging

Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 AM
fordrangerman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPFE & Pinging

While reading through the 4.6L forum, it mentioned a bad DPFE (differential pressure feedback sensor) as being a cause of pinging. Does anybody know whether this would apply to the 3.0L Vulcan in 1998. The post said they were about $59.

The truck I have pings in hard accer. and going up hills,
but has improved some when using 89octane gasoline.
btw: the truck has 71,2xx Miles on it

1998 Ranger 4x4 5spd
Gibson exhuast
K&N Filter
Valley heavy duty
towing reciever
Sony in-dash cd player

Old 06-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DPFE & Pinging

There is a TSB about the 3.0 pinging, not sure if you have seen that. The EGR system does help reduce pinging so a malfunction could cause it.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
DPFE & Pinging

Hey fordrangerman, welcome to FTE! That's a great username, BTW.

Ford says this about the EGR system:

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system controls the oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. Small amounts of exhaust gases are recirculated back into the combustion chamber to mix with the air/fuel charge. The combustion chamber temperature is reduced, lowering NOx emissions.
and Ford says this about the DPFE:

The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR system consists of a differential pressure feedback EGR sensor, EGR vacuum regulator solenoid, EGR valve, orifice tube assembly, powertrain control module (PCM) and connecting wires and vacuum hoses. Operation of the system is as follows:

1. The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR system receives signals from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, throttle position (TP) sensor, mass air flow (MAF) sensor and crankshaft position (CKP) sensor to provide information on engine operating conditions to the PCM....

2. The PCM calculates the desired amount of EGR flow for a given engine condition. It then determines the desired pressure drop across the metering orifice required to achieve that flow and outputs the corresponding signal to the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid.

3. The EGR vacuum regulator solenoid receives a variable duty cycle signal (0 to 100%). The higher the duty cycle the more vacuum the solenoid diverts to the EGR valve.

4. The increase in vacuum acting on the EGR valve diaphragm overcomes the valve spring and begins to lift the EGR valve pintle off its seat, causing exhaust gas to flow into the intake manifold.

5. The exhaust gas flowing through the EGR valve must first pass through the EGR metering orifice....

6. The differential pressure feedback EGR sensor measures the actual pressure drop across the metering orifice and relays a proportional voltage signal (0 to 5 volts) to the PCM. The PCM uses this feedback signal to correct for any errors in achieving the desired EGR flow.
What sticks out to me is the statement that "the combustion chamber temperature is reduced" by the EGR system. Since one of the causes of pinging or knocking is too much heat in the combustion chamber (See, "What Causes Spark Knock.."? ), and since the DPFE is so vital to proper operation of the EGR system, I think a strong case can be made for there being a direct correlation between a bad DPFE and pinging.

Last edited by Rockledge; 07-06-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:36 PM
fordrangerman
Freshman User
DPFE & Pinging

Thanks Rock, and Ken 00

The engine has been doing a better with 89Octane Gas, but that is so much more expensive (especially exxon). Do you have to go to a Ford Parts department or can this sensor be bought at a good auto parts store?
On the intake/hot water bypass what do you all recommend ?
Should I try that first ? Or Is that something that could effect the performance of the engine over the long haul ? ( I would like to get 250K from it )

Thanks for any info that yall can provide.

Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
DPFE & Pinging

You can maybe get the DPFE sensor from someplace like Napa or Autozone.

Personally, I'd try all other options before I would consider the intake/hotwater bypass trick.

I'm sure you've read through this Forum's threads regarding some of the other things you can do to improve the performance of your engine....clean the MAF, clean the Throttle Body, new plugs/wires, etc.... All these things can help in your battle against pinging.

You might also want to try doing a search on "ping" or "pinging" in the Ranger Forum where Ken00 presides. The issue has come up quite a few times over there.

Last edited by Rockledge; 06-30-2003 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
DPFE & Pinging

I have done and undone the HWB, but for power not pinging and never noticed a difference. This summer I plan on evaluating if it really does reduce/increase intake temperature. In the summer I get some pinging with the AC on, just by putting $10 worth of super in every 3-4 tanks and it solves it. If you look at the pricing, at least here in NJ, it's cheaper to mix 87 and 93.

Email me if you would like to see the TSB.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:10 PM
saintthomas
Senior User
DPFE & Pinging

Hey all.
The pings are gone! The solution was right in front of me the whole time. I was poking around looking at some things and noticed that the EGR hose that tees in right in front of the throttle body looked odd. It wasn't seating properly! A little permatex blue and away we go. That was a week ago. No problems since. Take a look at them folks. The simplest solution is usually the correct one.

Old 06-04-2003, 04:10 AM
droptop
Senior User
DPFE & Pinging

Hey rangerman,
I noticed that you mentioned a specific brand (exxon) of gas in your last post. My 2000 3.0 Ranger (and my 2002 Mustang) did the same thing on exxon gas. I switched brands and problem solved. I also noticed a significant improvement in gas mileage. I bought gas from different exxon stations so I'm relatively sure that water in the underground storage tanks wasn't the issue. I now run 87 octane texaco and haven't had the problem in a long time. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:43 PM
fordrangerman
Freshman User
DPFE & Pinging

Thanks, droptop
When I recently tried 89 octane it was from HESS
which only has had a large presence in Virginia in the last year or so. I will also try their 87 regular.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
DPFE & Pinging

Originally posted by saintthomas
Hey all.
The pings are gone! The solution was right in front of me the whole time. I was poking around looking at some things and noticed that the EGR hose that tees in right in front of the throttle body looked odd. It wasn't seating properly! A little permatex blue and away we go. That was a week ago. No problems since.....
Your experience helps to demonstrate the connection between the EGR system and pinging.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:23 PM
fordrangerman
Freshman User
DPFE & Pinging

Thanks everybody
I will take a look at that hose tomorrow morning. I drove the truck this evening about 65 miles with no pinging. (hope that continues!)This was with Hess 89 in the tank as I mentioned in the post to droptop.

BTW: The more miles I put on this truck, the more fun it is to drive.
She's getting a Line-X spray on bedliner next week

Last edited by fordrangerman; 06-04-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Talking DPFE & Pinging

OK, it's time to come clean. Here is my confession:

Saturday I replaced my Taurus' DPFE with a new one from NAPA!

So what is wrong with that, you ask? Well, I replaced it even though I was not getting any codes, my 3.0L was not pinging, and there was no obvious reason to think that the old DPFE was faulty!
WHAT, you ask? Throwing money away on new parts when nothing is wrong!!! Hey Rock, haven't you ever heard of the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Yea, I know it sounds crazy and seems to violate one of the high commandments around here ("Thou shalt spend cash on repairs only when necessary, and even then, only grudgingly") but I’ve been reading a lot about the DPFE in this forum and the Ranger Forum and I have come to realize just how important it is to the proper performance of your motor. The DPFE helps control the EGR system which is designed to, among other things, reduce the temperature of the combustion chamber. That is a good thing, especially for the vulcan engine. For example, one of the primary reasons for spark knock or "pinging" is uncontrolled combustion and one of the primary reasons for that is temperatures being too high in the combustion chamber. The EGR system directly addresses the heat problem.

So here are my reasons for going with a new DPFE:

(1) Old one looked exactly that...old. My guess is that it was the original from the factory;

(2) Original DPFE’s are notorious for failing. Ford even had a program to install new ones for free.

(3) It’s getting warmer out and I want to makes sure my vulcan is being cooled properly. Would hate to have the pings pop up on me;

(4) It’s one of the easiest parts to replace on the entire vehicle...loosen the two bolts and unplug the hoses and plug connection......reverse to install;

(5) I got it from NAPA for 50 bucks (lists there for $55 or so) which is not necessarily peanuts but not a huge hit either, considering the DPFE’s importance;

(6) I’ve read quite a few posts on several different boards claiming noticeable improvement in engine performance after changing out the DPFE;

(7) I was bored and wanted to do something good for my 3.0L motor.

So.... are you guys and gals gonna forgive me for what I did? Or am I going to be known now and forever as the guy who throws parts at his vehicles for no reason?

Last edited by Rockledge; 06-20-2003 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
DPFE & Pinging

Next time you get bored you can stop down my way and wash & wax my truck and save yourself $50.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
droptop
Senior User
DPFE & Pinging

Hey Rock,
You're forgiven

Do you have any idea if and when Ford changed the design of the DPFE and started installing them on the assembly line ? I'm asking because I had a 2000 that I had to have the DPFE replaced and I now have a 2002 and I was wondering if the 02 has the old style of DPFE. Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
DPFE & Pinging

Originally posted by Ken00
Next time you get bored you can stop down my way and wash & wax my truck and save yourself $50.
Yea, and my doing that would save you $50, too, wouldn't it Ken?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DPFE & Pinging