Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now I might think about getting one of those.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Well, it looks like the same type of crap they produced for Ford with the 'Shelby Optioned Mustangs"....they didn't even design the parts...off the shelf aftermarket bolt-ons including the brakes & swaybars (which were built by Eibach)...the "Sticker kids" paid a fortune for these "Shelby Vehicles" (including an inlaw who repeatedly told me how dumb & mis-informed I was...until he went to trade it in.....the best he could get from any dealer was $500 over what a mustang GT trade-in was...tried selling it, nobody wanted it for the price the "books" said it was worth).

Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Hessdawg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least saleen builds from the ground up

Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Well, it looks like the same type of crap they produced for Ford with the 'Shelby Optioned Mustangs"....they didn't even design the parts...off the shelf aftermarket bolt-ons including the brakes & swaybars (which were built by Eibach)...the "Sticker kids" paid a fortune for these "Shelby Vehicles" (including an inlaw who repeatedly told me how dumb & mis-informed I was...until he went to trade it in.....the best he could get from any dealer was $500 over what a mustang GT trade-in was...tried selling it, nobody wanted it for the price the "books" said it was worth).
Sounds to me like he bought a Shelby GT with a massive dealer mark up and couldn't get back 1/2 of what he paid for it.
You would be very surprised at all the parts Shelby designs and produces in house and the companies they team up with to co-develop parts.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hessdawg
At least saleen builds from the ground up

Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Hessdawg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever been to the factory
It's pretty impressive
Look it up

Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by kameronth
Sounds to me like he bought a Shelby GT with a massive dealer mark up and couldn't get back 1/2 of what he paid for it.
You would be very surprised at all the parts Shelby designs and produces in house and the companies they team up with to co-develop parts.
Most of the "Shelby Designed/Built" items I have seen, when carefully inspected are nothing new...typically existing parts from suppliers....visually modified and that's about it. Any design work or component building they do is of the simple type (nothing really that any good home machinist couldn't do themselves) and/or mods...most of the time anything that requires "thought" while they spec the need, someone else builds it (or I should say takes an existing component they mfg and modifies it).

Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hessdawg
Have you ever been to the factory
It's pretty impressive
Look it up
I haven't been to Saleen's factory but I have seen their vehicles and they make some very nice conversions as well. I really like their Black Label Challenger! It's a sick car! Just like Shelby, Ford or any manufacturer/ upfitter they use various parts from other aftermarket companies either re-badged or not and also produce their own parts.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Most of the "Shelby Designed/Built" items I have seen, when carefully inspected are nothing new...typically existing parts from suppliers....visually modified and that's about it. Any design work or component building they do is of the simple type (nothing really that any good home machinist couldn't do themselves) and/or mods...most of the time anything that requires "thought" while they spec the need, someone else builds it (or I should say takes an existing component they mfg and modifies it).
I agree that many of their parts are from other manufacturers. Just like Ford does (Brembo Brakes, Fox Shocks, Re-badged Ford Racing Shocks made by Tokico, re-badged Whipple Super Chargers, etc). It's common practice in the auto industry. In fact, I don't know of any auto manufacturer out there that makes every single part on their cars or builds.

Baer, Eibach, Borla, Whipple, C/R Racing are just a few companies that Shelby uses in many of their builds. They also produce in house a vast variety of parts as well such as hoods, fascia's, shock braces, grilles, brake duct cooling kits and numerous Cobra parts.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by kameronth
I agree that many of their parts are from other manufacturers. Just like Ford does (Brembo Brakes, Fox Shocks, Re-badged Ford Racing Shocks made by Tokico, re-badged Whipple Super Chargers, etc). It's common practice in the auto industry. In fact, I don't know of any auto manufacturer out there that makes every single part on their cars or builds.

Baer, Eibach, Borla, Whipple, C/R Racing are just a few companies that Shelby uses in many of their builds. They also produce in house a vast variety of parts as well such as hoods, fascia's, shock braces, grilles, brake duct cooling kits and numerous Cobra parts.
BTW- I completely agree with everything you have said.......I just kinda believe that most can build what they do for less & probably even a little better in some cases...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can install a supercharger, exhaust, bigger wheels & tires, and some stickers for less than $17K...just build it yourself because that is about all the difference there is. Sure it will have a slightly higher resale value than one you build yourself, but the initial investment savings should make up for that.

Either way it's not a problem for me...I don't have an extra $60K to spend on a truck right now.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
johnkn
Tuned

LOL.... makes me really proud to own real Shelby's built at the LAX airport facility back in 66/67.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I'm pretty sure I can install a supercharger, exhaust, bigger wheels & tires, and some stickers for less than $17K...just build it yourself because that is about all the difference there is. Sure it will have a slightly higher resale value than one you build yourself, but the initial investment savings should make up for that.

Either way it's not a problem for me...I don't have an extra $60K to spend on a truck right now.
Not defending this at all... But if you could build it cheaper, could you warrant it for 60k miles? Anything goes wrong, you fix it? Lots of value in warranty.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a 14 Shelby Raptor on order. Red with black splash, crew cab. Only getting four specials. Front bumper, rear bumper, bed cover, and power running boards. And of course 575 HP. this will be my first raptor. And red and black interior. We will order a loaded raptor without graphics, as Shelby will supply their own. Ford will drop ship the truck to Shelby in Las Vegas.