EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

So, I rented a 2012 Extend Cab 4x4 Ecoboost F150, my thoughts and questions....

Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM
SStampede
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I rented a 2012 Extend Cab 4x4 Ecoboost F150, my thoughts and questions....

All I can say is wow, this is a funny truck! I'm alittle disappointed, I can barely here the turbos spool, and can barely here the blow valves. Also, feels like to way detuned from Ford. How is the factory boost set at?
Finally get a truck that can pull to 100, then is stopped by speed limiter.
I own an 03 4.7 QC 4x4 Ram, that will never reach 100mph, and last week I rented an 2013 4.8 QC 4x4 Silverado, which my truck feels faster.
If I had the money I would buy one.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
There is a fella on my route who works in a speed shop. He owns two Buick Grand nationals with a turbo charged. I was speaking to him about the Ecoboost engines the other day.

In his opinion which I happen to respect, he states that Ford has de-tuned the 3.5L substantially below the HP/TQ numbers that it could actually produce straight off the showroom floor with no mods.

He further stated that in order to keep it running good for the long term, you have to keep your foot in it periodically and let her run hard sometimes. Any diesel guy will tell you that.

However, there are some on here who have had some issues with misfiring due largely to moisture buildup in the intercooler. My friend says that it doesn't take much moisture to send these very sensitive electronic systems into a frenzy.

Ford supposedly fixed all this for the 2013 MY and has a fix for earlier build trucks. My 2011 has been flawless after 24K miles.

As for the smooth quiet power, that's the way I like it.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
There is a fella on my route who works in a speed shop. He owns two Buick Grand nationals with a turbo charged. I was speaking to him about the Ecoboost engines the other day.

In his opinion which I happen to respect, he states that Ford has de-tuned the 3.5L substantially below the HP/TQ numbers that it could actually produce straight off the showroom floor with no mods.

He further stated that in order to keep it running good for the long term, you have to keep your foot in it periodically and let her run hard sometimes. Any diesel guy will tell you that.

However, there are some on here who have had some issues with misfiring due largely to moisture buildup in the intercooler. My friend says that it doesn't take much moisture to send these very sensitive electronic systems into a frenzy.

Ford supposedly fixed all this for the 2013 MY and has a fix for earlier build trucks. My 2011 has been flawless after 24K miles.

As for the smooth quiet power, that's the way I like it.
trouble is, if you run them hard they will get you pulled over, unless of course you have a load on them, seems like every time I stuff the loud peddle, before I know it Im doing way over the speed limit anywhere I go!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being a first generation engine, the Ecoboost was obviously designed with future improvements in mind. Most likely, a significant horsepower bump. No manufacturer designs a new engine without taking future improvements into consideration.

If I had to guess, I would say we'll eventually see both 5.0l v8 and V6 ecoboost engines with over 400hp in the F150.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by j.grif
trouble is, if you run them hard they will get you pulled over, unless of course you have a load on them, seems like every time I stuff the loud peddle, before I know it Im doing way over the speed limit anywhere I go!

Ahh yes, those pesky troopers are on the lookout for my big black truck. I've been very lucky thus far.

I will say this. My truck has the 3.31 axles and she'll roll at 80 mph all day long while only revving 2K and still gets me 19-20 mpg's at 80 on the flats.

Of course 80 MPH doesn't happen much around here since the troopers are diligent, the roads are crowded and I'm getting older and wiser.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a couple guys i read about making big Hp/Tq #'s with these engines working with Full Race Motorsports on another Ford website. With just a cat back exhaust, tuner and a aftermarket intercooler they are seeing 400+ hp to the wheels and 525lb/ft torque to the wheels!!! Full Race Motorsports also built a F150 Ecoboost for Sema called " Freak-O-Boost" they changed everything on this truck along with exchanging the small twin turbos for a monster single turbo. They just had it on the Dyno the other day. Can't wait to see the #'s!! Hear is there link.

The FReak-O-Boost | Full-Race.com

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
There is a couple guys i read about making big Hp/Tq #'s with these engines working with Full Race Motorsports on another Ford website. With just a cat back exhaust, tuner and a aftermarket intercooler they are seeing 400+ hp to the wheels and 525lb/ft torque to the wheels!!! Full Race Motorsports also built a F150 Ecoboost for Sema called " Freak-O-Boost" they changed everything on this truck along with exchanging the small twin turbos for a monster single turbo. They just had it on the Dyno the other day. Can't wait to see the #'s!! Hear is there link.

The FReak-O-Boost | Full-Race.com
great imformation and video's thanks a lot, these engine's put out a lot of power and are a blast in stock configuration, peaple seem to underestimate them, I can only imagine what a difference this conversion adds to the experience, like has been said before, ford hopefully left some on the table for later improvement because the market sits still for no one!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I recall correct Mike (Five Star) has a SCT program that will add 75HP to the EB. That would put it around 440HP, don't recall what the TQ number went up.

I've only had my EB for 3 days now, and coming from a 2006 F250 reg cab manual transmission, I am impressed with the factory power and torque.