6.2 Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
tatch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 Trans problem

Hey guys, Im new to the forum. I have a 2012 ford F-250, 4x4 with
18000 miles. I just recently towed about 800 miles pulling a single axle utility trailer with an atv in tow haul. The trans. was constantly down shifting from 6 to 5 to 4 on over passes. The fuel mileage was horrible, getting around 7 mpg.When i got back i took it to the dealer. They informed me today that it had burned up a silenoid which caused low line pressure which burned up the fluid which burned up the clutch. They said they will replace the bad parts. Could the burned up fluid cause more problems in the future?
I was thinking they should replace the trans.
Sorry for the long post.The forum is awesome!alot of good info.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
tatch
New User
Have any of y'all had this problem with the trans?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM
tatch
New User
Come on guys, has anybody here had this problem? Does anyone know what could have caused this? The service tech told me he could not get the truck to repeat what it had done with me, so he looked on some technical bulletin forum and found some trucks that had the same issues i had, and thats how he found the problem.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Having trans problems too but not this type! Maybe post over on the trans forum! Hope it all works out.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
tatch
New User
Thanks, it is still in shop. This is the first problems ive had with my truck. It has been awesome until this happened.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those with trans issues (and there are not many) have had a mixed bag of results- some are a perfect fix after a comp flash, while others are a "we can't get it to do what it was doing so if it does it again...." yada yada..... Anyway, The trans fluid pump seems to be a culprit on these trannys- causing shifting issues. It seems that it is something that stays hidden till it's too late.....like when you are hauling or have racked up 15k plus miles. you may wanna check that out.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 PM
tatch
New User
Thanks, Im gonna ask about the pump tomorrow. My truck is still in the shop. They said it would take 2-3 days, its going on 5. Atleast the technician was on top of it by looking on some nationwide tech bullitin forum to diagnose mine. Does anybody know what causes these trans. pumps to fail?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Originally Posted by tatch
Thanks, Im gonna ask about the pump tomorrow. My truck is still in the shop. They said it would take 2-3 days, its going on 5. Atleast the technician was on top of it by looking on some nationwide tech bullitin forum to diagnose mine. Does anybody know what causes these trans. pumps to fail?

Reading your original post, if it had low line pressure, then I'd think about trans pump failure causing the low pressure, and the "burning up the solenoid" may not be the chicken or the egg, you know? Be sure to post up what they find out.........

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
tatch
New User
I will. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
tatch
New User
They have ordered parts. apparently it has also messed up some of the gears aswell.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
Hope it all works out. If it "messed up gears" I think you may have an arguable case for a new tranny. I would worry from the standpoint that there may be more problems sleeping in there. If your stealership is treating you well, then maybe pull the service manager aside and plead your case. Just my .02

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
tatch
New User
I talked to him about a new trans. yesterday , he said Ford would not allow it. Believe me i tried. I am still gonna go by there Monday and try some more. I just dont know why this trans. had this problem. I hope its not an issue that these trans. are going to have after warranty.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
2011F250Lariat
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tatch
I talked to him about a new trans. yesterday , he said Ford would not allow it. Believe me i tried. I am still gonna go by there Monday and try some more. I just dont know why this trans. had this problem. I hope its not an issue that these trans. are going to have after warranty.
Based on my experience there is no way in hell that anyone is getting a new tranny because Ford has not found the cause yet of the problems, there are lots of people having problems with the new 6 speed tranny, the problem is most people don't notice it right away, and even if you did they had no plan in place for reapir, and then its too late the damage is done, Ford is still guessing on the cause, I had massive shifting issues, flares, not shifting into 6th, hard and abrupt shifts 1-2, 2-3, clunking noises, you name it i got it, they had my truck at the dealer for over three months, tore down and rebuilt the tranny twice, and so you all know they did NOT replace my fluid pump in the tranny, they did valve body and overdrive and direct friction plates. Was still same, then they did the complete direct drum assembly. At least that's what my paperwork says, and all these things had to be first approved by a ford trans engineer in person ahead of time. I asked for a new trans a long time ago and was denied, asked for one after all these repairs failed and was denied.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
tatch
New User
Are you still having problems with your transmission?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2011F250Lariat
Based on my experience there is no way in hell that anyone is getting a new tranny because Ford has not found the cause yet of the problems, there are lots of people having problems with the new 6 speed tranny, the problem is most people don't notice it right away, and even if you did they had no plan in place for reapir, and then its too late the damage is done, Ford is still guessing on the cause, I had massive shifting issues, flares, not shifting into 6th, hard and abrupt shifts 1-2, 2-3, clunking noises, you name it i got it, they had my truck at the dealer for over three months, tore down and rebuilt the tranny twice, and so you all know they did NOT replace my fluid pump in the tranny, they did valve body and overdrive and direct friction plates. Was still same, then they did the complete direct drum assembly. At least that's what my paperwork says, and all these things had to be first approved by a ford trans engineer in person ahead of time. I asked for a new trans a long time ago and was denied, asked for one after all these repairs failed and was denied.
With truck out of service that long I would think lemon law might apply!

Quick Reply: 6.2 Trans problem