2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Explorer at Boat ramp

Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
northernsnooker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Explorer at Boat ramp

I'm thinking of trading my Expedition EL for an Explorer. I think it would tow my boat OK and I have trailer brakes. My only concern would be getting the boat out of the water. My Expedition is 4WD, but I have never needed it at the ramps I use.

Would I need 4WD on the Explorer? The boat/trailer is probably about 4,000 lb total.

Anybody with experience pulling a boat out of the water?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always heard that towing with a FWD vehicle isn't the best idea, but don't remember exactly why.

Having said that, I would definitely want an AWD vehicle for towing up a wet and maybe slick ramp. Besides the trailer and boat weight (which is near the Explorer's 5K limit), you have to overcome the weight/friction as the trailer pulls through the water. With the boat on the back, the trailer weight will lighten the front end somewhat, leaving you with less traction at the front axle. This is the opposite of your RWD Expedition, where the added weight increases traction at the rear axle.

It would look pretty bad if you got stuck at the ramp, spinning your front tires. And it never happens when you're alone at the ramp, it only occurs when there's a crowd watching (at least from my experience).

Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
northernsnooker
Senior User
Thats generally what i was thinking. Does the Explorer have a 4WD switch or does it sense wheel slip and engage as needed?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by northernsnooker
Thats generally what i was thinking. Does the Explorer have a 4WD switch or does it sense wheel slip and engage as needed?
I'm not positive but I think it is all electric & sensors. Out west AWD or 4wd are the prefered vehicles.
The thing I don't like about so many of these vehicles today is NO LO RANGE. Pulling trailers I use the LO RANGE more that the 4WD.
But I would go with the AWD if I was buying. I'm not sure of how much more an AWD vs a FWD is, but I bet not that much more.
Just my two cents. The Explorer I owned & loved was my 92 Explorer Eddie Bauers Edition 4WD.
Craig

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
ralphhood3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current model explorers have a switch, they're 4WD not AWD. The switch is also a 4-way switch for 2WD (front wheels), snow, sand, or offroad, so it's not the typical 4-high 4-low that most SUVs and trucks have.

Ralph

Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree with the previous post, the current Explorers are AWD if you choose that option. I can get power to the rear wheels under normal conditions and the car controls where to send the power. The switch just modifies the power transfer ratio, throttle response and the electrical nannies. It doesn't change the mexhanical linkage.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
northernsnooker
Senior User
How about towing in general with the Explorer?

What have you towed? How much did it weigh? And how did the Expy do?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
With primary FWD, wide tires with small lugs, weight transfer primarily to the rear on the ramp and due to tongue weight the AWD option would be good. You never know when you run into a slippy slimy ramp.

That said the Expedition is far better suited for towing IMO. I would keep the Expedition. The new Explorers are nothing but a slightly larger crossover. As far as I am concerned the Explorer died in 2010. No more for me or my family, I will look at another company.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
ralphhood3
Senior User
Originally Posted by onug
I disagree with the previous post, the current Explorers are AWD if you choose that option. I can get power to the rear wheels under normal conditions and the car controls where to send the power. The switch just modifies the power transfer ratio, throttle response and the electrical nannies. It doesn't change the mexhanical linkage.
So not intending to start a flame war, but just stating the facts as I understand them...

I bought a 2013 Explorer in October, and we compared it to an identically equipped Edge, and the dealer made a big point in explaining the difference between the AWD on the Edge, and 4WD on the explorer. Having owned an expedition that was AWD I understand the difference, but I'm just legitimately curious if you're so convinced, then why does my 2013 Explorer Limited have a 4WD badge on the tailgate and say 2WD on the instrument cluster LCD when I disengage the control **** on the center console???

I also just went to the Ford website to make sure I'm not imagining things, and the explorer is explicitly listed as available in 4WD or FWD and the Edge is listed explicitly as available in AWD or FWD. I also don't see anywhere on the Ford site that shows any available option or equipment package that gives you AWD, just the 4WD option.

Not sure Ford would advertise the Edge and Explorer differently in this regard if they both functioned the same way.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just honestly trying to understand what I'm missing.

Ralph

Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
northernsnooker
Senior User
dkf,
I completely agree with you... I would rather keep the Expedition. But this is purely a financial decision. I need something that has third row seating and can tow about 4,000 lb. The Explorer may be able to do that for me and save $300 per month.

If the Explorer will get my boat out of the water and tow it adequately the 10-15 miles to the boat ramp I almost have to get one.

After 3 years I would have almost $11,000 more in my pocket and that's not even taking into account fuel savings.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by northernsnooker
dkf,
I completely agree with you... I would rather keep the Expedition. But this is purely a financial decision. I need something that has third row seating and can tow about 4,000 lb. The Explorer may be able to do that for me and save $300 per month.

If the Explorer will get my boat out of the water and tow it adequately the 10-15 miles to the boat ramp I almost have to get one.

After 3 years I would have almost $11,000 more in my pocket and that's not even taking into account fuel savings.
Well you got to do what you got to do.

Since you are not towing far at all the Explorer should work fine. As for FWD vs AWD the AWD would be better for at the boat ramp no question, whether it is must have well you could probably get by without it most of the time but it only takes one time needing it and not having it... Tires can also be a big help. A tire with planty of siping vs a performance tire with minimal or no siping, the tire with siping will do better at the boat ramp.

I usually lock my hubs and can go into 4wd if I need it quick. Some ramps I have been at looked fine and dry but were slippy as hell. I go to a lot of different ramps though. Some steep, some almost level, some are not ramps at all. If you go to the same ramp regularly that is pro for sure.

I will also mention that the Dodge Durango is rear wheel drive, has 3rd row seating and is capable of towing more than the Explorer. I am no Fiatsler fan but sometimes if one company does not offer something you have to look elsewhere. It also does not hurt to keep your options open.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
The boat/trailer is about 4k but does that include fuel and other provisions you may have on board? What size boat and what kind of trailer? I know mine is listed at about 6700 dry but that includes a single base engine - mine on the trailer with fuel is about 10,500lbs. Just keep in mind the manufacturers listed weight will most likely not match up with what you actually have. I've seen folks around here struggle with just jet skis around here - especially if it is busy and the ramps are wet or have had grass and debris spread about.

For the 4wd question - the Explorer is listed as being 4wd but it is permanently engaged. The **** is to change the settings for the type of terrain you may encounter. Take a look at page 230 in the Owners Manual:

The 4WD system is always active and requires no driver input. It is
capable of handling all road conditions, including street and highway
driving as well as off-road and winter driving. The driver can optimize
more 4WD control by moving the terrain management switch for the
correct terrain. See the Terrain Management chapter for more
information.
Note: When an 4WD system fault is present, the warning Check 4WD
will display in the message center. The 4WD system is not functioning
correctly and will default to front-wheel drive. When this warning is
displayed, have your vehicle serviced at an authorized dealer.
Note: The 4WD Off message may also be displayed in the message
center if the 4WD system has overheated and defaulted to front-wheel
drive. This condition may occur if the vehicle was operated in extreme
conditions with excessive wheel slip, such as deep sand. To resume
normal 4WD function as soon as possible, stop the vehicle in a safe
location and stop the engine for at least 10 minutes. After the engine has
been restarted and the 4WD system has adequately cooled, the 4WD Off
message will turn off and normal 4WD function will return. The 4WD Off
message will turn off when the system cools and normal 4WD function
returns.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
The boat/trailer is about 4k but does that include fuel and other provisions you may have on board? What size boat and what kind of trailer? I know mine is listed at about 6700 dry but that includes a single base engine - mine on the trailer with fuel is about 10,500lbs. Just keep in mind the manufacturers listed weight will most likely not match up with what you actually have. I've seen folks around here struggle with just jet skis around here - especially if it is busy and the ramps are wet or have had grass and debris spread about.

For the 4wd question - the Explorer is listed as being 4wd but it is permanently engaged. The **** is to change the settings for the type of terrain you may encounter. Take a look at page 230 in the Owners Manual:

The 4WD system is always active and requires no driver input. It is
capable of handling all road conditions, including street and highway
driving as well as off-road and winter driving. The driver can optimize
more 4WD control by moving the terrain management switch for the
correct terrain. See the Terrain Management chapter for more
information.
Note: When an 4WD system fault is present, the warning Check 4WD
will display in the message center. The 4WD system is not functioning
correctly and will default to front-wheel drive. When this warning is
displayed, have your vehicle serviced at an authorized dealer.
Note: The 4WD Off message may also be displayed in the message
center if the 4WD system has overheated and defaulted to front-wheel
drive. This condition may occur if the vehicle was operated in extreme
conditions with excessive wheel slip, such as deep sand. To resume
normal 4WD function as soon as possible, stop the vehicle in a safe
location and stop the engine for at least 10 minutes. After the engine has
been restarted and the 4WD system has adequately cooled, the 4WD Off
message will turn off and normal 4WD function will return. The 4WD Off
message will turn off when the system cools and normal 4WD function
returns.
This was the smartest thing ford stole from Volvo when they were owners. The 4wd system in the explorer is not a real 4wd system in the way we think of it, it is really awd. NO low range and no ability to lock the center diff. When the vehicle comes to a stop the system preloads a coupler so that upon take off there is no need for wheel slip to occur and violently engage the 4wd system. It is advanced and technical and also leaves lots of room for failure and problems down the line.

As to the boat deal I would, like you have said I would have kept the expedition. Towing 4,000 lbs behind the explorer will be a tail wagging the dog event, in the expedition you'll notice it but you could have a blow out without worry on either vehicle. Remember in Florida there are times you will need to get out into the fast lane towing that boat and maybe in the 75 to 80 mph range, something I'd hate to attempt with the explorer. What people keep forgetting is that the explorer while very nice is a glorified Taurus, nothing more nothing less. The expedition is a true truck in all meanings, Engine facing the correct direction, body on frame construction large diffs, large suspension components etc.