Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Escape Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 AM
joester
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape Pros and Cons?

Seriously though, We bought both of our current vehicles after having them for an entire weekend, a Dodge Neon and the Escape. Nothing like a REAL road test to determine what sort of vehicle you're riding in.
GM is bragging about letting people have the cars for the weekend, and we did exactly that with a Dodge and a Ford dealer long before GM advertised.
Just walk in with a bank check for the purchase and make it clear that the purchase isn't complete until you are satisfied with the vehicle, say, after a weekend of driving. Just don't head off to Timbuktu with it. We filled the gas tank and drove until it was getting empty.
Oh, and expect to leave your current vehicle and the check as collateral.
With the Escape, we took delivery about 2 weeks after having it. Darn Jeep dealer wouldn't budge on the weekend thing, so he lost the sale. We let him know by driving the Escape into the lot to show him our new SUV. He was a lovely shade of green too.

Old 08-14-2003, 02:29 PM
jalore
New User
Escape Pros and Cons?

I purchased my 2001 Escape in Janurary of 2002 from my best friend for $18000 with 3100 miles on it. MSRP was over 25K. My friend is very good at maintance and taking care of things. It was like new when I got it from him. He had no problems with it and he went for a Trailblazer at the 0% financing. That is long gone now also. That was a problemsome vehicle

It's now August of 2003 and I have 98,447 miles on it and I STILL love it. I plan to keep it until I hit 200,000+, then it will go to one of my kids. It's loaded, 4x4, sunroof, leather, 6 disc cd, all the toys. It drives like a sports car, performs well as a 4x4 when needed, easy to park, and love the huge sunroof. Gas mileage (16-20mpg) could be better and the noise factor is it's poorest quaility. But the opened sunroof and radio can hide a lot of that.

I love the electronics. The lights stay on for 2 minutes then shut it off. The electronics run for 20 minutes if you turn the key off and sit in the vechicle (radio and pwr windows). The radio returns to a lower volume when you start the car. The only thing missing was the outside thermometer and a compass that I miss from the old blazer I had.

I have driven this unit round trip to Florida from NH twice and am very comfortable in it. I weigh 270-280 lbs. We usually remove the rear seat cushion so the passenger seat can lie flat for napping.

I usually fill up at a gas station that offers free car washes and this unit goes through it at least twice a week. I had it detailed last april and it still looks like new.

I was told at 58K that the transmission fluid should be changed every 30K. My buddy did not do it before I got it, so it went over the recommended miles. I changed it then and also at 88K. I think some damage has occured because of the lack of change at 30K because now I am getting some hesitation/bucking at various speeds intmittetantly. I plan to have it looked at soon.
It's like your driveing over a washboard for a few seconds.

It is amazing how peppy the car seems to be when the Transmission oil is changed. Like it runs like it was brand new. I still have not done any "tune up" yet. Only once did I have a backfire / hiccup starting it since I have owned it.

I change the oil every 3000 miles with out question. I have had to have the EGR valve replaced at 38K, and the front stabilizer bar links at 90K,and the tires were replaced with Michelins at 51k.

New pads were installed at 51k also, I did not need to replace the rotors a that time.

I drive 120 miles round trip to work Monday-Friday and then on weekends I use it to deliver Chinese food. Perfect vechicle for that task.

I plan to go to another Escape in a couple of years if they don't ruin it too much with new "improvements".

Old 08-19-2003, 12:14 PM
BK63
Freshman User
Escape Pros and Cons?

I have a Saturn VUE. Problems problems problems with those things. That's why I'm in here lookin, heh heh.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:41 PM
BK63
Freshman User
Escape Pros and Cons?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by V10man
[B]You may want to look at the Mazda Tribute also. We love ours. Only complaint is loud road noise and wind noise. It's an 02. The advantage over the Escape is it comes with a 3yr/50k mile warranty.

Check out the Mazda Trubute on msn autos.
The reviews are just horrible.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:49 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Escape Pros and Cons?

BK i don't know what reviews you were reading but I just checked MSN Autos after reading your post and they were all very good. Most of the complaints were minor details like the 4 cyl not having enough power and the 6 cyl using too much gas and not having lots of excess room.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:06 AM
BK63
Freshman User
Escape Pros and Cons?

I'm talking about the reviews for the Mazda Tribute.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:19 PM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Escape Pros and Cons?

Originally posted by bvander
I bought an 01 in november of 2000. It was one of the first Escapes on the road. I love the power and space. Unfortunately, I think it's cheaply made. Lots of wind and road noise ....creeks and cracking. I've had numerous problems too. It spends an incredible amount of time in the shop. I've had 3 alternators replaced, the coolant sending unit, cracked master cylinder cover, screwed up window tracking, a broken cd player laser lens, and a broken back window washer line that sprayed water all over the passenger side floor. I've got got 45,000 miles on it and at about 35000 the trans was slipping. It was found that they never put enough trans fluid in it. They didn't replace the trans just filled it and it was fine but I'm nervous as far as what damage was done. Also recently my radio display just disappeared. The dealer says it's not covered cause I am now in the extended waranty milage. . I don't know what to do but live with it cause it's a Mach 7 system and I hate to replace it cause I don't know what will mesh with the speakers and don't want to have to buy all new ones.
It's been a real nightmare owning this car. I wish I leased it so the lease would just expire. It's almost paid off now and I really don't want to buy something else and ad another payment, but the thought of what is next on this thing scares me. You other guys seem not to have these problems. I may be bad luck. I had an f-150 new in 98 that qualified as a lemon before the year was up and nobody else I new seemed to have problems with it.

You can change the radio and put a $10 harness in that will allow
you to use the stock amp and speakers.
If you have any questions on your trucks system come over to the audio section of the board and post there.

As far as all your trouble,....... seems you got the one made in tiawan

Old 09-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Underdog'79
New User
Escape Pros and Cons?

Only one single thing. FRONT BRAKE DUST!
Love the black rims look?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:28 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Escape Pros and Cons?

The front brakes are made by Ferordo which are very very good brakes. You can change them for lower dust pads but for me, I'll take the better pads any day. Stay away from those brake dust sheilds tho. They will cause your rotors to warp.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 AM
joester
Freshman User
Escape Pros and Cons?

For what it's worth, I've been looking for a dust shield that's actually a series of fan type blades that will promote airflow through the rim and hopefully reduce the dust build up.
Haven't found them though...

NOTE:
This was typed using fingers permanently stained with the black crud that cleaning with simple green and a piece of open celled foam creates.
Cleans the rims easily and very well, but I should have worn gloves...

I too believe that the best stopping power is the preferred condition, regardless of the dust build up.

Old 09-08-2003, 04:46 PM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Escape Pros and Cons?

Good luck finding dust shields that prevent brake dust. A friend of mine has a toyota 4runner and he has the dust shields and needs new yes new rotors every pad change. I told him to get rid of the shields but he thinks he's big willie with clean front rims but if you look at it, how clean are the rims with the shields? Most cars/trucks/suv's need to be washed weekly anyways. Look at the rear wheels compared to the front every car wash. With the sheilds the fronts will be like the rears. Still dirty but warped.
Anyways, having traded the Escape in for the EB Explorer, I still say the Escape is an awsome SUV hands down!

Old 01-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Escape to MT
New User
Exclamation Do I love it?

I have a 2002 Escape and I have mixed feelings about it. I love the size, the power, the looks, the 6 disk in dash Mach audio system. I find the seats rather uncomfortable. (I'm glad I wasn't the one that drove it cross contry!!) I have had numerous problems with it. Some days it doesn't want to come out of Park without practically jerking the gear shifter out. Twice it hasn't started for me. The first time it did it (not start) it finally did after alot of trying. I drove it straight to the shop and was told the standard "duh, we cant find anything wrong with it". The second time I got so mad I called the dealer and told them to tow it in and I didn't want it back until it was fixed. Needless to say it started for them. Yet again, told "we can't find anything wrong with it." Another annoying problem is the whole rear end squeaks. Took it in. They lubed around the back window and told me to turn the stereo up. Now when it shifts (usually between 4th and overdrive) it feels like some thing is not catching and it shudders for a second then it is fine. I'm not taking the thing in until it dies. Then they can fix it.
Everyone else I've talked to loves theirs so... Maybe it's just me!

Old 01-09-2004, 06:49 PM
joester
Freshman User
...coming out of park...
My wife has the same trouble sometimes. When I watched her from the passenger seat, I noticed that she would release the hand brake, it would roll back (driveway is on an angle) against the parking pawl, and she would have trouble getting it to shift. Answer was simple. Foot on brake prior to releasing the hand brake.
...not starting...
NEVER had that happen. not even after a liberal hosing under the hood or during the -10 degree weather we are having in upstate NY. No idea there...sorry!
...squeaky rear window...
They all do it. I did notice that the window latch was not tightened to the window, and that the nuts were rusted. Dealer replace the latch assembly, and now the window is tighter to the seal. Still squeaks. A VERY light application of vaseline to the seal to prevent winter freezing made it dissappear (the squeaking) for a while.
...shift shudder...
Going out on a limb here, but the 98 Windstar I had did the same thing, and it got progressively worse. Turns out the PRNDL switch was going bad. Replaced it, and the thing shifted great. At least good enough to trade in for a 2002 Escape!!

Old 01-14-2004, 05:17 PM
truszip
Freshman User
Re: Escape Pros and Cons?

Originally posted by BB94Bronco
We just got an 03 Limited . I love it I can't say anything bad about this truck . It has plenty pep , smoothe ride , and a great sound system . The limited has every option they have , heated leather seats , heated mirrors , 6 disc cd w/ 7 speakers , backing alarm , side impact airbags , ect .. I have put 3,000 miles on it so far . I got a really good deal on it from a good friend at a local dealer , I would definatly shop around you never know what other dealers will offer .
I can't agree more, other than not wanting to start this morning in minus 30 degree weather we have had no problems with the vehicle so far. We had a 99 Explorer before this and if this is as good as that one was, well - I'll be happy!!