1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1959 Ford F100 Diesel Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Nabendroth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1959 Ford F100 Diesel Conversion Questions

I've got a 1959 Ford F100 on a 4x4 chassis. I know its not an original frame to the truck but i know its a 4x4 chassis. Possibly a 4x4 chassis from another 59'. I have a parts truck for the conversion. It is a 87' Ford F350 4x4 lariat I believe it has a 7.3L idi motor automatic trans and a gear vendors overdrive system. I am wondering if anyone here as embarked on a conversion like this. What is the easiest way to go about transplanting it? is there a engine and transmission mount already produced to get the engine and trans mounted or is that going to need to be fabricated?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Here is a picture of the 59' that I will be doing it to. I will get pictures up of the engine bay area tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Welcome to FTE. I cannot give you any help, but member GB Sisson, a.k.a. Gary will be along in a while. He probably can steer you in the right direction. I do know he has done a diesel conversion, but don't know which motor.

Steve

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you! And photos on your FIRST post? Wow. And a nice clean truck, btw. OK, well I'm gonna be your ally here. I just converted my '59 to diesel. It's a long haul, with a lot of engineering and I'm not really sure the f100 frame will be adequate for that big ol' 444 cu in oil burner. Like you, I also have a '92 f350 4x4 diesel. That's a whole different animal than an f100. My conversion put a scrawny 120 hp cummins six (6at) in a '59 f350 chassis. The frame and running gear are overkill for that powerplant. So..... I would look really hard at what it would take to put the '59s cab on that parts truck. It's not easy by any means, but you'll end up with power brakes, dual master, power steering, heavy frame and running gear, frame mounted fuel tank, lots and lots of stuff people take great pains and $ to add later. Not saying it can't be done either way, but that's just my .02. I actually thought just today about putting my new parts truck cab on my '92 and building a flatbed for it. Not that I need another truck, I'm just a chronic tinkerer. I have both of your same rigs, so I can help you with measurements as well, either way. More pics please.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
OK, the second one!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Let me be the first to welcome you!
Close but no cigar! But you may proceed......

Ya gotta watch out for him, though, as he can be a bit "wordy"..........LOL!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't want to be first, but welcome just the same.
Good to see another fridge getting a little attention!
Good luck in your quest!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Who, Me? It's been brought to my attention that I talk in my sleep as well.... Oh wait, do I count 8 lugs and a full floater? 3/4 ton...axles or frame also? How will we know.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Nabendroth
New User
Thanks all for the welcomes!!!

The 59' is sitting on an 8 lug chassis. So I would assume it is a 3/4 ton chassis. correct me if I'm wrong though. The frame on the 87' is a bit longer then the frame on the 59' as the parts truck is a crew cab/long bed. Here is a picture of the front frame section on the 59'. Let me know if there are any other pictures needed. Thanks

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Nab that looks to by a fridge frame.
The rear shock mounts for the front axle are not stock.
The radiator support mount stud is the type that utilizes a spring, which is seen on the 4x4's and f350 and up frames.
What is the number on the top frame rail below the battery box, and does it match the data tag on glove box door.
Is that front diff a high pinon?
I think Gary has so good info for you to consider.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Nabendroth
New User
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Nab that looks to by a fridge frame.
The rear shock mounts for the front axle are not stock.
The radiator support mount stud is the type that utilizes a spring, which is seen on the 4x4's and f350 and up frames.
What is the number on the top frame rail below the battery box, and does it match the data tag on glove box door.
Is that front diff a high pinon?
I think Gary has so good info for you to consider.

Ok now I am confused. Both vin numbers match (frame and glove box). I thought the vin would start f11 if it was an f100 4x4 but it does not. But it does have the transfer case and front axle for a 4x4 setup.

So now that we know that for sure how is the engine mounting situation going to change? is it going to be harder? I heard there are companies that produce the necessary mounts to mount the engine. I'm assuming I'm going to have to be fabricating something to mount the engine.

Btw thanks for all of the help and advice thus far.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Not necessarily in the vin, mine for instance show f25. (F280 in model code)
But in the model code, second line between color and date.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 615 Likes on 552 Posts
Welcome to FTE. You don't happen to be a woodworker for a living do you? I might think you are Gary's long lost brother!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
It's hard to imagine a company makes aftermarket motor mounts to put the IDI in that frame, but I've been wrong before. I'm an amature welder and I made some serious mounts to put the cummins six in mine. I just considered it part of the fun. I hate waiting for the UPS truck, so I pretty much just make everything out of scrap I have laying around. It gets done faster that way! Enjoy the process, I miss that part of my project now that I'm sealing roof seams and replacing door glass. (awful job).....

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
My long lost brother works at the wal-mart in Bradenton Florida........

Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Nabendroth
New User
No on the woodworking. I restore mustangs and sell parts for them. I wouldn't think that a company would make that specific of a mount. By chance GB SISSON do you have pictures of the mounts mounted to your frame? How tough was it making the mounts?

Quick Reply: 1959 Ford F100 Diesel Conversion Questions