Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

HPOP Second Leak Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP Second Leak Failure

Well, It seems that the leak is back under my HPOP again. Frustrating to say the least considering the issues I had with removing and reinstalling it last time.

I cleaned the oil up and ran the truck for about 5mins idling. Looking down into the valley at the 5min mark there was a small trickle from under the bottom of the HPOP, right next to the IPR. I put a telescopic small mirror down there to look but cannot see anything as it is to far down. One thing I did notice is that when I rubbed the mirror under the IPR I got fresh oil on it.

I put a new IPR in the HPOP when I put the o ring kit through it. Could it be leaking? Has anyone heard of this happening. I am extremely frustrated at the moment with this truck!!!! Any advice on what to do next would be handy.

I just hope it is not leaking from the seal between the HPOP and front enging cover, as I am not keen to remove the HPOP again, especially if I don't have to. Thoughts

Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I would suspect the oring on the ipr. The main hpop gasket sits below the ipr I cant see the oil traveling up. I tacked a 17mm deep socket onto 1and1/8th socket to get the ipr out in truck.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Brian,

Changed out the IPR 3 times and still leaking. On closer inspection the last time I noticed the slightest amount of oil under the HPOP line fitting to the passengers side head. Took the new lines off and sure enough the fitting was loose. Tried to tighten it up but it just squashed the o ring out and destroyed it.

Removed it and put a new o ring on and re installed it, without locktite as I couldn't wait that long to clean it up. The other line fitting is supertightand not leaking. Unusual one took and the other didn't, and I did both of them with the complete kit through the HPOP.

Checked it again today and it is still leaking from that fitting. Alot slower but still leaking. It looks as though the o ring has been squashed out again, as i can see the faintest hint of it. Weird as it wasn't like that when I replaced it the second time. Looks line I will be doing it a third and see what happens.

Funny how I followed the instructions and it worked for one and not the other, and still will not work.

I will try a new o ring this weekend and see if that works.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Good luck with that Wallsy, at least you know exactly where the leak is now.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Going for 3rd time lucky, hopefully!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

At least u r not pulling the HPOP again. You will get it sorted bro.
Shouldnt have to do em up tight. thats why the oring is there.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Brian,

I have pulled the fitting again. Put a new o ring on it. Problem is, it looks as thouht the fitting is to small. When the fitting is snugged up against the HPOP the o ring is still visiable. Photos attached.

Do you have a spare fitting lying around, or does anyone, I can grab off you and try to see if it fixes the problem. I have emailed Clay as well to see what he thinks. Definately an issue there.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

bro - I have a spare everything. Will hunt up my spare HPOP and let ya know
Yep. got it. You need a oring ??
One thing. Check the fitting on ya head. Maybe they have em around the wrong way

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Brian,
I have used up all my o rings now. It is definately the wrong fitting. The o ring has nothing to seat against. That is why it is blowing. As soon as you put the new o ring in and the truck is idling it is ok. The minute you put pressure on it by driving it, it leaks straight away. If you have a spare one that would be awsome. I have checked the one in the head, and it seems to be one of the smaller stc fittings. The previous owner has really stuffed this up. Who knows what happened to the original fitting? The ones on the heads are smaller and not leaking. He must have lost a fitting when he had it out and replaced it with the wrong one, id say. So yes to a correct fitting and yes to a o ring if you have one spare mate.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

nps mate. PM your addy and I will ship her 2morrow. I have left the original oring on it (which is OK) and I will throw in a new one.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Well, I can just about close out this thread. I fitted Brians un used 17' HPOP in place of mine. A big thanks to Brian for letting me grab it off you. I wanted and got two new HPOP line fittings and a reseal kit and put it through Brian's 17' HPOP. Fitted it up last night. Started it this morning as I finished late and didn't want to get the kids up with the noise. Very very very hard to start. Finally did and ran like crap, to be expected. After a while it ran fine. Started it later today and again very very hard to start. Pulled the FRX and the spring was not centred, must have got lazy late on friday night. Fixed that and it is starting a heap better. A little longer than I like but it will improve as I run the truck more and more.

So far, but it is only early days and too wet up here to clean the engine, but there seem to be no oil leaks, TOUCH WOOD. I will monitor it over the coming days.

There was and still is something majorly wrong with the 15' pump I pulled out. The fitting out of Brians 17' pump would not seal in it and even the brand new fittings Clay send me still would not seal and cover the o ring. Weird. Looks as though it has been manufacture wrong from day dot, due to no fitting being able to cover the o ring. Unexplainable!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Wallsy, glad to hear that you've finally found the problem. Could the HPOP in your truck have had a striped thread with a heli-coil type repair & therefore no proper seat for the o-ring?
The PO has certainly hand-passed on some problems!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

It will run and start hard for a while until you bleed the air out. Need to get some miles on it and a few WOT runs.