6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
traction control?

Anybody disabled the traction control? I've had the truck for 22k miles and just noticed the TC button. So I turned it off just to see if I would notice a difference and guess what? I did. I get a lot of wheel spin( gravel or not) and my MPG went up by 1 MPG. Amazing.
I'm gonna leave it disabled for a week to see if the improved MPG holds up. Wish me luck.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you have to disable it every time you start the truck? Or can you shut it off for good?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm pretty sure he is going to be stuck pushing the button every time he starts the truck, according to experience and the user manual.

remember, there are also different settings you change, depending on how long you press the 'traction control' button. briefly pressing it will just turn of traction control. holding the button for a few seconds with also turn of 'Electronic Stability Control' and 'Roll Stability Control'. If you are traveling over 35mph, the ESC and RSC will automatically re-engage, leaving only TCS as being off.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I thought the option was in the settings menu on the LCD screen.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I thought the option was in the settings menu on the LCD screen.
The LCD screen will just display if TCS is on or off. You can't control it from there. I'm also pretty sure that the LCD screen displays nothing about ESC or RSC being on or off, but the user manual explains it. I have also tested out the ESC being off versus just having the TCS off.

You can tell a difference on a gravel road. With just TCS off, you will still maintain positive traction, leaving 2 peel out marks (the best setting for going offroad). With ESC turned off, your truck will act like a true open differential, leaving 1 peel out mark (I see no practical purpose for turning this off).

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Your correct, I checked it out on mine after work. My wife's Explorer you have to turn it off through the LCD screen menu. That must have been what I was thinking about, I did see my button on the dash.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am definitely gonna try it (turning the TC off) around town for a tank to see if the MPG increases. Heck, it can't hurt.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RAPR
i'm pretty sure he is going to be stuck pushing the button every time he starts the truck, according to experience and the user manual.

remember, there are also different settings you change, depending on how long you press the 'traction control' button. briefly pressing it will just turn of traction control. holding the button for a few seconds with also turn of 'Electronic Stability Control' and 'Roll Stability Control'. If you are traveling over 35mph, the ESC and RSC will automatically re-engage, leaving only TCS as being off.
I don't think my chassis cab has anti-roll or stability control since it is a dually. I am still seeing improved mpg today, up to 13.6 mpg.
Not bad for a one ton flatbed truck with a reliable gas motor.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM
TosaFords
Tuned
Originally Posted by RAPR
The LCD screen will just display if TCS is on or off. You can't control it from there. I'm also pretty sure that the LCD screen displays nothing about ESC or RSC being on or off, but the user manual explains it. I have also tested out the ESC being off versus just having the TCS off.

You can tell a difference on a gravel road. With just TCS off, you will still maintain positive traction, leaving 2 peel out marks (the best setting for going offroad). With ESC turned off, your truck will act like a true open differential, leaving 1 peel out mark (I see no practical purpose for turning this off).
Holding the button until the AdvanceTrac off message is displayed and disabling the RSC/ESC is helpful when you are laying on the frame in the mud and trying to get pulled out. When all 4 tires start spinning even in 4LO that system will kick in and try to make them stop slipping by cutting power way back.

I had this happen to me. I couldn't figure out why my truck seemed to be stumbling while trying to get out. The Lower Control Arms on the front axle were hooked in the ground good and when the tires started slipping the AdvanceTrac system cut my power and I stopped dead. Took one hell of a tug to get me out. Once I turned off TCS/AdvanceTrac the truck would finally let me have full power in 4LO to help climb my way out of the holes I had dug my self into.

I will also add that I have an E-Locker so I had had 3 tires digging when I was trying to get through.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by TosaFords
Holding the button until the AdvanceTrac off message is displayed and disabling the RSC/ESC is helpful when you are laying on the frame in the mud and trying to get pulled out. When all 4 tires start spinning even in 4LO that system will kick in and try to make them stop slipping by cutting power way back.

I had this happen to me. I couldn't figure out why my truck seemed to be stumbling while trying to get out. The Lower Control Arms on the front axle were hooked in the ground good and when the tires started slipping the AdvanceTrac system cut my power and I stopped dead. Took one hell of a tug to get me out. Once I turned off TCS/AdvanceTrac the truck would finally let me have full power in 4LO to help climb my way out of the holes I had dug my self into.

I will also add that I have an E-Locker so I had had 3 tires digging when I was trying to get through.
when I put my truck in 4lo, I get a message that says advancetrac off.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Agreed, it say in the operating manual that when in 4Lo, all TCS, ESC, and RSC are automatically turned off. In 4Hi or 2wd they remain on until turned off.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Thunderace31
Junior User
My 2010 F250 6.4 Has the Traction Control and NO BUTTON to turn it off!
Got stuck 3 times this last winter
Does anyone know how to disable it for good without having the button on the dash ????????????????

Thanks for the info and help

Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM
B327Thr
Junior User
Did the OP ever follow up on whether or not pushing the button every time is worth it or not?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 PM
ALMACK
Senior User
I can't say for sure if turning off the tc on my f250 increases mileage or not.
I will say when I first got the truck, the cruise control was jerky and surged up and down.

I now drive with the tc turned off and the cruise control is super smooth.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM
ALMACK
Senior User
Originally Posted by B327Thr
Did the OP ever follow up on whether or not pushing the button every time is worth it or not?
I turn off the sway control and traction control every time I start my truck up while pulling a trailer.

Quick Reply: traction control?