Sponsored by:

carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM
special blue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb swap

Does anbody know what you need to swap from fuel injection to carb other than itntake carb an pressure regulator

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by special blue
Does anbody know what you need to swap from fuel injection to carb other than itntake carb an pressure regulator
I'm assuming you have a fuel injected Bronco and not an older one you are trying to swap a EFI engine into? Some more info would be helpful.

Depending on the engine you'll need the following:

Intake manifold
carb
aircleaner
fuel pressure regulator
distributor & ignition system.

You'll also have to deal with EGR valve and other misc. stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You cannot use ANY of the onboard engine electronics including the computer, distributor, and everything associated with spark timing (which is ultimately the entire system). If the truck is a '96 or newer it will never be emissions legal. While the EGR system can be "tuned out" of a carburated system, the excess crud will clog the existing EGR passages and the catalytic converter so it will have to be removed... by the way, you cannot legally remove a functioning cat. converter. Exactly what do you hope to gain by going backwards 30 years with the technology?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by greystreak92
You cannot use ANY of the onboard engine electronics including the computer, distributor, and everything associated with spark timing (which is ultimately the entire system). If the truck is a '96 or newer it will never be emissions legal. While the EGR system can be "tuned out" of a carburated system, the excess crud will clog the existing EGR passages and the catalytic converter so it will have to be removed... by the way, you cannot legally remove a functioning cat. converter. Exactly what do you hope to gain by going backwards 30 years with the technology?

Hey man settle down. Save the scolding until you have all the info.

You don't even know what age vehicle he is dealing with. He might have a 78 Bronco that he picked up an EFI 460 for. Or he might be building a trail/off road rig that won't ever see road use again.

He didn't give any info so it's hard to tell just yet.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman75
Hey man settle down. Save the scolding until you have all the info.

You don't even know what age vehicle he is dealing with. He might have a 78 Bronco that he picked up an EFI 460 for. Or he might be building a trail/off road rig that won't ever see road use again.

He didn't give any info so it's hard to tell just yet.
Seriously.... An EFI 460... That's like... Lowering a bronco and dumping 20's with spinners man! Crazy.

Anyways, GS has a point. You would need to do a lot of converting and unless you have everything layed out or have the older carbbed donor truck next to you, it might get difficult. When you can post up some more info for us vultures like year, current engine, uhhh, and stuff like that. It will help a lot.

And as for GreyStreak's question, maybe he want's to be able to manually tune it the hard way... Who knows. He could be like me, I prefer a Carburetor over EFI just cause I understand it better. The world may never know.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Seriously.... An EFI 460... That's like... Lowering a bronco and dumping 20's with spinners man! Crazy.

Anyways, GS has a point. You would need to do a lot of converting and unless you have everything layed out or have the older carbbed donor truck next to you, it might get difficult. When you can post up some more info for us vultures like year, current engine, uhhh, and stuff like that. It will help a lot.

And as for GreyStreak's question, maybe he want's to be able to manually tune it the hard way... Who knows. He could be like me, I prefer a Carburetor over EFI just cause I understand it better. The world may never know.
I'm beginning to realize why it's so dead in this forum.

And just for the record I prefer carbs over EFI too.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman75
I'm beginning to realize why it's so dead in this forum.

And just for the record I prefer carbs over EFI too.
It's not dead. Just not... super active I kind of figured you were an EFI kind of person haha. I had an 88 Ranger s my first manual vehicle and though it was relatively low on maintenance and did much better at cold starts, I felt kind of helpless working on it since I don't really know much about that stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
special blue
New User
Well ill start by saying i apologize for the lack of information i work in a shop an thats my number one complaint an on to that i am ASE certified and AUDI certified i understand emission laws luckily where i live there is no testing so no worries an it will not see much road time anyways i do not know however very much about this early 90's efi setup i am a ford person but this is the first ford ive owened other than 73-79 or 2000 plus i think this setup is crap an would like to achieve putting a carb on it so it is a 1990 5.8 an was wondering if anybody has done this or if they are more familiar with this setup i know it will eliminate the sensors an other things but i always like to bounce my ideas off pepole who know the subject

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 AM
special blue
New User
An yes it is a bronco

Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by special blue
Well ill start by saying i apologize for the lack of information i work in a shop an thats my number one complaint an on to that i am ASE certified and AUDI certified i understand emission laws luckily where i live there is no testing so no worries an it will not see much road time anyways i do not know however very much about this early 90's efi setup i am a ford person but this is the first ford ive owened other than 73-79 or 2000 plus i think this setup is crap an would like to achieve putting a carb on it so it is a 1990 5.8 an was wondering if anybody has done this or if they are more familiar with this setup i know it will eliminate the sensors an other things but i always like to bounce my ideas off pepole who know the subject

The 1990 is fairly simple as far as EFI set ups go. It's a speed density set up. But still not as simple as a carb!

What do you have for a transmission? C6 Auto, E4OD auto or a manual? The manual transmission or the C6 auto ( non OD transmission ) won't be computer controlled. The E4OD will be computer controlled. You can tell the E4OD because it will have an OD on & off switch either on the dash or on the shifter.

To swap to a carb, like you already know, you'll need to add the regulator and swap intake manifold.

Then you'll need to swap out the ignition parts. Toss the TFI distributor and module. You can either swap in an older Duraspark II set up. Or go with an aftermarket non-TFI 351W distributor & ignition module. The DSII is a pretty simple swap. You can search and find all the info you'll need for the swap.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
special blue
New User
Thanks for the info the bronco originally had a e4od but someone has put a c6 in it i just cant seem to make this thing run right so im goin to go to what i know a little more about nice carb steup and some shorty headers an break the an ditch the emission stuff lol

Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Your going to have to ditch the high and low pressure fuel pumps as well. Or else they're just going to blow out the regulator and then your carb. I did this swap on my 88. Mostly cause it was already done. But it was an absolute nightmare. The PO made a huge mess out of everything. I originally did the DSII swap with a factory style vacuum advance dizzy. I also was able to use the TFI coil and it worked well. Swapped the cast iron 2bbl intake for a Weiand Stealth intake. and topped it with a Edlebrock 600 4bbl with electric choke and 1in spacer. To feed it. I mounted a Mr. Gasket mini electric fuel pump near the tank.

Its a 351w with a C6 and 4.10s. Now its far from stock...I still run the same fuel pump and carb. but now I have a full MSD ignition. 6AL box, Blaster 2 coil, etc.

It's my 1st carbed vehicle. So it has been a learning experience for me. But I plan on going to a Stand-Alone EFI system eventually.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Boss351Bronco88
Your going to have to ditch the high and low pressure fuel pumps as well. Or else they're just going to blow out the regulator and then your carb. I did this swap on my 88. Mostly cause it was already done. But it was an absolute nightmare. The PO made a huge mess out of everything. I originally did the DSII swap with a factory style vacuum advance dizzy. I also was able to use the TFI coil and it worked well. Swapped the cast iron 2bbl intake for a Weiand Stealth intake. and topped it with a Edlebrock 600 4bbl with electric choke and 1in spacer. To feed it. I mounted a Mr. Gasket mini electric fuel pump near the tank.

Its a 351w with a C6 and 4.10s. Now its far from stock...I still run the same fuel pump and carb. but now I have a full MSD ignition. 6AL box, Blaster 2 coil, etc.

It's my 1st carbed vehicle. So it has been a learning experience for me. But I plan on going to a Stand-Alone EFI system eventually.
You know, me and another member were talking and he sent a link to an EFI carburetor that edelbrock makes. It was ridiculously expensive but cool nonetheless. I can pm you the link if you want.

On another note, regarding the tranny, IIRC the 1990 all the way to 94 came with an AOD. It was just an auto with overdrive but not as complicated and easily broken as the E4od trans. Maybe someone made the swap before then de died they wanted a C-6 or something. Who knows.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
fordman75,

First off, I didn't scold anyone. The question was asked about going FROM fuel injection TO carburation, not the other way around as your comment about the '78 would suggest. The truth of the matter is that the procedure is a 30-year step backwards in technology. That's not a scold, its fact. The rest of my original post is also fact. He asked for information, I gave it.

Gruesomejeans,

If someone wanted to swap a newer EFI mill into a 78-79 model Bronco, the truth of the matter is that an EFI 460 would be ideal given that they would not need to change transmissions because the bellhousing bolt pattern for the 460 is the same as the 351M and 400 mills that were stock at the time. Just add EEC-IV computer and harness along with the EFI 460 and a high pressure fuel pump and away you go.

Gentlemen, lets keep our eyes on the ball lest this become something negative. Our own personal approach to these things will naturally be reflected in our responses. However, not agreeing is no reason to point an accusatory finger at someone who has provided nothing incorrect nor inaccurate.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
fordman75,

First off, I didn't scold anyone. The question was asked about going FROM fuel injection TO carburation, not the other way around as your comment about the '78 would suggest. The truth of the matter is that the procedure is a 30-year step backwards in technology. That's not a scold, its fact. The rest of my original post is also fact. He asked for information, I gave it.

Gruesomejeans,

If someone wanted to swap a newer EFI mill into a 78-79 model Bronco, the truth of the matter is that an EFI 460 would be ideal given that they would not need to change transmissions because the bellhousing bolt pattern for the 460 is the same as the 351M and 400 mills that were stock at the time. Just add EEC-IV computer and harness along with the EFI 460 and a high pressure fuel pump and away you go.

Gentlemen, lets keep our eyes on the ball lest this become something negative. Our own personal approach to these things will naturally be reflected in our responses. However, not agreeing is no reason to point an accusatory finger at someone who has provided nothing incorrect nor inaccurate.
I agree, The PO asked about swapping from FI to Carb. It is a step back in technology. That is the truth. This is what following posts should concentrate on. We are all here to help each other. We all have our own preferences and reasons...PO including. My Bronco, I finished/fixed the Carb conversion the previous owner attempted and destroyed lol. It was a matter of it was simpler and cheaper to fix and finish the conversion, than to find and match and repair the FI harness/parts. Other than that, it is not anyone's place to dictate what can be done to someone else's Bronco...unless its a safety related thing. But thats just my .02 worth.