1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trailer wiring colors stock from truck side??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trailer wiring colors stock from truck side??

Early 1999 7.3L Manual transmission 2WD ODOMETER is in sig. and not applicable to this discussion any way.
I have some wires that I need to identify from the stock trailer harness that all had been cut by the previous owner. Some have wire nuts on them. I would like to wire in a 7 pin connector. I can always use an adapter to go to a 6 pin if needed. I already have a 4 pin connector that utilizes the brake/running/reverse light plug. It plugs into each plug OEM style and has a beautiful 4 pin connector that comes out of it. The white wire for that connector has a ring terminal connector that is connected to ground because its ground is not on that harness. I am cleaning up the hack job that used to be a old 4 pin connector and an old 6 pin connector. Please identify the following wires so I can make a good 7 pin connection and or good use of these wires.
The tailer wires were all cut off except for the red wire from the old 6 pin connector. It was connected to the small brown w/white stripe wire on the stock harness. The wires from the stock trailer harness are taped into a separate bundle from the standard truck brake/running/reverse lighting bundle. Three of the wires are much larger guage than the other 4 wires. I will capitalize the LARGER ONES to set them apart. Please Advise and thank you for helping.

BLUE

ORANGE

WHITE

brown w/white stripe

black w/light green stripe

yellow

dark green

Last edited by 1fixitman; 01-07-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: edit colors
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
WHITE is ground on pin #1
Black/Light Green is trailer back-up lights on center pin (not used very often)
ORANGE is trailer battery charge on pin #4
BLUE is trailer brake controller current on pin #2
Yellow is left turn on pin #5
dark green is right turn on pin #6
Brown/White is running lights on pin #3

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you. I am going to find a 7 pin connector tomorrow to wire this up.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Knorske
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar situation. My 1999 Super Duty just came back from the body shop -- a complete re-paint. They had to install a new box, as well, and have "removed" all wiring going to the in-box and external trailer plugs. I believe the two trailer outlets (both 7-pin) are a "standard" item, and they seem to be on a factory sub-harness. Unfortunately, the body shop crew cut many of the wires, too. Besides the two 7-pin connectors, there are some pins on the "truck" ends, and a few light sockets. Can anyone verify there is such a sub-harness ("trailer" or "towing" or ... ?). Thank you.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Knorske
I have a similar situation. My 1999 Super Duty just came back from the body shop -- a complete re-paint. They had to install a new box, as well, and have "removed" all wiring going to the in-box and external trailer plugs. I believe the two trailer outlets (both 7-pin) are a "standard" item, and they seem to be on a factory sub-harness. Unfortunately, the body shop crew cut many of the wires, too. Besides the two 7-pin connectors, there are some pins on the "truck" ends, and a few light sockets. Can anyone verify there is such a sub-harness ("trailer" or "towing" or ... ?). Thank you.
I believe that there are two short harnesses at the rear of the truck, one for the trailer lights and one for the stop/turn/running lights if that's what you are asking.