Propane Conversion on my Edge - 6 month report

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
PaulsEdge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Conversion on my Edge - 6 month report

Hello again, this past summer I asked a few questions on this forum about converting my 2009 Ford Edge SEL CUV (V6 3.5L fuel injected) to run on dual propane/gas and I got some good input, so I decided to go for it, take the plunge and get the conversion done.

Half a year later, I can say with all honesty that it was one of the smartest investments I have ever made!

The engine always starts out running on gasoline (my gas system is still original OEM and the tank was never touched), and then when the sensors decide that the engine has reached optimum temperature, a relay clicks, followed by an audible beep, and other than that, you would never know that the vehicle is now running on straight propane!

I had two 40 gallon tanks installed in the trunk, where the spare tire used to be. They built me a new "floor" for the trunk out of plywood covered with carpet which sits on top of the tanks, and raises the floor of the trunk about 5 inches up from it's original height, but I still have most of my trunk space, even when I throw the spare tire on top of the new floor.

Even though I have 80L of propane tanks, most days it will fill up with 100+ Liters of propane when I run the tanks dry. At the current cost of gas in the Toronto area, it costs me about $122 to fill up with gasoline, and about $48 to fill up with the same amount of propane!!! I get my propane from the same shop that did the conversion for around $0.48 per Liter!!!! That's a savings of about $74 per tank fill up = WOW.

The gauge they install with the propane conversion isn't very accurate at all. It consists of 4 blue LEDs which goes to 3 then 2 then 1 then a red LED lights up when the tank is almost done, then when the propane runs out, it will beep a bunch of times, and then the Propane indicator LED turns off, and I'm automatically back to running on gasoline. I don't bother anymore with this gauge - I just re-set my odometer every time I fill up with Propane, and I know that I get 500km out of it (usually about 520km if I drive easy, and 480km if I stomp on the gas a lot).

I did a road trip up north this past summer, starting out with the Propane, and then using gas, and I was literally able to drive 1000km before I had to start thinking about re-fuelling. I was able to find another Propane station in NorthBay Ont, where they charged $0.79 per Liter of Propane, which still beat the gas prices of $1.35 so the total fuel cost for this trip was cut dramatically thanks to my conversion.

People were telling me I'd lose power with the Propane, and to a very small extent they are right. The response to the gas pedal is (very) slightly slower than gasoline. I have no problem passing someone on the highway, or going up a steep hill at all, it's just slightly more peppy on gasoline. The average person driving my car would never notice the difference, but since I drive the car day in/out, it is detectable to me. That being said, if I really need the full power of gasoline for whatever reason, it's just one tap of a button on my dash, a beep sounds, and I'm on gasoline again, so it's never been an issue for me.

My Edge is navy blue, so I had them install a black propane cover cap in the rear bumper on the left side. Other than the mandatory black diamond "Propane" sticker on the right side of the license plate, you would never know the car was on propane. Most of the cabs in the area use a bright yellow cover cap which sticks out like a sore thumb. I later installed a trailer hitch around the propane system without a problem.

The only other con that I was told about was that my heads would burn out with time (3 years or so), but the shop which did the conversion told me that this doesn't apply to fuel injected newer technology conversions, and I have to wait a few years before I can confirm or deny this, but so far everything is going great, and I would highly recommend this to anyone who is sick of paying ridiculous prices for gasoline! Every time I hear on the news that gas is going up again, or someone complains to me in conversation about their last gas bill, I get a big grin across my face to sum it up in three short words, I'M LOVING IT!
Paul

Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Feedback I am glad its working well for you. What system did the shop use? Also pictures would be nice.

Regards

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
I'm glad to hear it is working out for you. I'm looking into a propane conversion for my next truck so I'm excited to see your report.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any figures when the fuel savings will pay for the conversion?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM
John Darvell
New User
With regard to burning valves and heads. We have "lubricators" available in UK which are in the gas system to prevent this. Certain engines need these to be installed. My triton has done 130,000 miles on propane only without a lubricator

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I am at 20k with my CNG system that i installed last year or so. just filled up yesterday $1.36 a gallon. f150 4.6 2002. I went from $80 a week down to $20. Mine paid off in 6 months. It is almost like this thing runs for free.. These conversions are worth every penny. Nice job with the Edge and Propane. Payback is better with vehicles that are worse on MPG. I wouldn't do it with a 50mph honda or something. It would take 3 years to justify the conversion.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Brock Picken
New User
Flex

Hello,

Im thinking about converting my Ford Flex. Where would you find a kit, and does the propane get better mileage than gas?

Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brock
Check with your local Lp dealer, then if that doesn't pan out do a search for autogas conversions. I don't know where you are located but I know a shop in Michigan that has a good rep, Mileage will usually be lower on LP gas on a dual fuel system, Depending on the system