Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

AFE vs K&N having trouble finding good CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 PM
patrick1989
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE vs K&N having trouble finding good CAI

ive been trying to do some research but i cant find a lot, ive found this cai i like from AFE- Cold Air Intake System Stage-2 Si aFe Power Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si PRO 5R Intake Systems; Ford F-150 04-08 V8-5.4L 54-80512 - aFe Power
the hp and torque gains seem significant but i wonder if i am possibly missing something because the 77 series K&N is similarly priced and only has like a 9 hp gain whereas the AFE has a 23 hp gain. am i missing something?

any help would be awesome thanks guys

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What truck exactly?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 PM
patrick1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by khadma
What truck exactly?
Guess that would have been smart to put in, 05 f150 roush stage 2

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
I would check at Ford racing.................

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM
patrick1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I would check at Ford racing.................
Couldn't find anything :/

Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Beechkid
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
patrick1989
Senior User
Awesome thanks! I've only been finding roush ones for a supercharged application

Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by patrick1989
Awesome thanks! I've only been finding roush ones for a supercharged application
Of course you realize in a normally aspirated engine, the aftermarket CAI's are 100% useless.....
Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
The 5.4 V8 for example if close to stock can only suck in a maximum of 480 cfm and a flat panel filter will flow 500 cfm, there is simply no way any CAI on a relatively stock engine can increase the air flow enough to exceed the ECM’s ability to adjust and maintain the correct fuel mixture. The only reason for the “custom” program to support the CAI is because the design is poor resulting in false readings from the air intake sensors, etc….period! If you look at the dyno charts from many of these supposed HP/TQ increases, they are typically around 5%-7% at peak rpm ranges…….guess what, 5% is a standard deviation even amongst mfg dynos and if you go to this link http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf the engineers at Ford racing have a article on just exactly how these “tuners” play games with the hp/tq ratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the “tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact, managing your engine….. and the most important item is……these “expert tuners” (at least most) do not have or choose not to test their results (in comparison to the oem intakes) during actual vehicle motion (or simulation- such as a wind tunnel) as the oems do. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
patrick1989
Senior User
Of course you realize in a normally aspirated engine, the aftermarket CAI's are 100% useless.....
Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html
The 5.4 V8 for example if close to stock can only suck in a maximum of 480 cfm and a flat panel filter will flow 500 cfm, there is simply no way any CAI on a relatively stock engine can increase the air flow enough to exceed the ECM’s ability to adjust and maintain the correct fuel mixture. The only reason for the “custom” program to support the CAI is because the design is poor resulting in false readings from the air intake sensors, etc….period! If you look at the dyno charts from many of these supposed HP/TQ increases, they are typically around 5%-7% at peak rpm ranges…….guess what, 5% is a standard deviation even amongst mfg dynos and if you go to this link http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf the engineers at Ford racing have a article on just exactly how these “tuners” play games with the hp/tq ratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the “tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact, managing your engine….. and the most important item is……these “expert tuners” (at least most) do not have or choose not to test their results (in comparison to the oem intakes) during actual vehicle motion (or simulation- such as a wind tunnel) as the oems do. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed.
That's a lot of info but I'm not looking for massive gains in tq and hp I'm looking for better flow for improved mpg, I get lucky if I can pull 13 mpg and I've heard from other people with the same 5.4 at as soon as they put a cai on their mpg improved to 16 and up.

I've also put in a high flow filter (K&N) and it didn't do ****! I spent 50 bucks on it and it was pointless. I also put a stage 2 afe on my 7.3 I had and it actually helped a lot!!