1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

So I had an idea...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 AM
FJones8668
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I had an idea...

Rolling down the road in my semi loaded with 1200 bushel of wheat and I got to thinking about possible engine swaps for my 1959 ford f-250 2wd. It was always my intention to convert to 4wd but I haven't been able to locate the parts locally. Finally I came to the pre-powerstroke IDI 6.9L international diesel. For some strange reason it has always been my favorite diesel for pickups.

What do you guys think? Use a 4wd drivetrain out of a mid 80's ford? Possible?
What are the major modifications that I haven't thought of?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
I have always wanted to shoehorn a Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh 5 h.p. in my 59. Not sure if it would work, as I want to add fuel injection and/or a turbo as well. Hoping the turbo out of the wife's Volvo can work without too much trouble.

Can any body tell me what would bolt right up to the Briggs without changing or fabbing new motor mounts? Will the T98 bell housing bolt right to it, or will I have to buy an expensive adapter? Or, should I change to an AOD, or maybe a T5?

And then what should I do for brakes? Granada/Fairmont upgrade? Maybe a switch to a Mustang II set up? But then, wouldn't I need to carry two spares since the front would be 5-lug and the back would still be 8-lug, since my F250 came stock with a Dana 60.

My buddy says I should change the differential to a Ford 9", and that if I did, I would have a lot more choices for gearing. Then I'd probably want to go with different tire/ wheel combo. Do you think I should change out my Widowmakers? Can they be safely changed out by me, a shade tree mechanic?

Now, that bring us to seats.What will fit, besides the stock bench seats? I never have really felt safe with the tank behind the seat, seems to me it is a bomb waiting to happen. Should I put it underneath, or in the bed? Fuel cell?

As for paint, Corinthian White(stock) or metallic candy apple red? Can I do the paint myself underneath my Redwood tree?

What are you all doing for tunes? Should I place the head unit under the seat, in the glovebox, or just cut my dash?..........

Merry Christmas, all............

Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I have always wanted to shoehorn a Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh 5 h.p. in my 59. Not sure if it would work, as I want to add fuel injection and/or a turbo as well. Hoping the turbo out of the wife's Volvo can work without too much trouble.

Can any body tell me what wold bolt right up to the Briggs without changing or fabbing new motor mounts? Will the T98 bell housing bolt right to it, or will I have to buy an expensive adapter? Or, should I change to an AOD, or maybe a T5?

And then what should I do for brakes? Granada/Fairmont upgrade? Maybe a switch to a Mustang II set up? But then, wouldn't I need to carry two spares since the front would be 5-lug and the back would still be 8-lug, since my F250 came stock with a Dana 60.

My buddy says I should change the differential to a Ford 9", and that if I did, I would have a lot more codices for gearing. Then I'd probably want to go with different tire/ wheel combo. Do you think I sold change out my Widowmakers? Can they be safely be changed out by me, a shade tree mechanic?

Now, that bring us to seats.What will fit, besides the stock bench seats? I never have really felt safe with the tank behind the seat, seems to me it is a bomb waiting to happen. Should I put it underneath, or in the bed? Fuel cell?

As for paint, Corinthian White(stock) or metallic candy apple red? Can I do the paint myself underneath my Redwood tree?

What are you all doing for tunes? Should I place the head unit under the seat, in the glovebox, or just cut my dash?..........

Merry Christmas, all............

Ok, OK, OK! So I am still laughing! I think your head unit is definately under the seat alright! LOL!

Merry Christmas to us all, everyone!

P.S. On a serious note, I think Tecumseh will bolt right in. Don't be afraid of all the folks around here that will give you grief for not staying stock! They just don't get it. Afterall, it is your truck and you are only just asking honest questions!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Furthermore, I want to convert from 12 to 6 volts. What about Watts? Will my alternator need to be replaced, or rebuilt? I heard about one of them generators built inside an alternator housing to look more modern,so that is an option, as well.

The wife wants one of the wrap around rear glass conversions, I'm thinking it would be more cost effective to get her a set of Oakley sunglasses with the polarized lenses. Electric windows would be nice, but she says not in the budget, she'd rather have air conditioning.

I had considered making it into a right hand drive truck, but them British are kinda snobby, so that is on hold till their attitude improves somewhat. Also wouldn't mind sending it off to Orrville Specialties to stretch it out a bit like they did for the Air Force and Navy.Anyone know where in Ohio they are located?Remember, we LOVE photos.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 PM
THartman
Junior User
If you do that generator in an alternator modification make sure you have the right Watts linkage in the rear or else your backup lights will always stay on.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
FJones8668
Senior User
Alright cool, that seems relevant and helpful all in one

Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I still like the idea of the IDI in the fridge truck. I suggest a little later model, like a '92 NA 7.3 witha 5 speed ZF man trans. That's what my '92 is. It's a 4WD F350 as well. Just got back from a 4 day trip for work hauling 2500 lbs in the bed and pretty much living in the truck and totally relying on it's dependability. Heavy snow in the mountain passes. I bought it a couple years ago with 89,000 miles for 3500.00. The older ford diesels are really cheap on craigslist. Buy one and gut the whole thing, transplant it under your fridge and don't look back. I sold my '53 f350 flareside because it was TOTALLY stock and original right down to the ford script plug wires. Too original to mess with. I tend to be the McGuyver type and am happiest when doing some sort of conversion or modification. Bone stock is a great way to go when dealing with vintage automobiles, but it's just too boring for me. Let's face it... A fridge truck isn't a Duesenburg. Bust out the welder and the cutting torch and have a little fun. Best thing about old trucks is there are no rules and we get to do it just the way we want, which is just the opposite of our 'work lives', when sombody higher up the chain always calls the shots. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I tend to be the McGuyver type and am happiest when doing some sort of conversion or modification. Bone stock is a great way to go when dealing with vintage automobiles, but it's just too boring for me. Let's face it... A fridge truck isn't a Duesenburg. Bust out the welder and the cutting torch and have a little fun. Best thing about old trucks is there are no rules and we get to do it just the way we want,
Very well said and I concur GB

Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks Steve, And IBUZZ, If he DID want to run a briggs I wouldn't even consider a direct drive model. They made a 6 to 1 reduction gear version for years, and with a 2 speed brownie after the stock 4 speed, I think it would climb hills up to let's say 2% grade. The turbo on the volvo is metric so he'd need the expensive adapter for that, unless of course he cut the flanges off and went with a stack of plumbing fittings and some rubber hose.........that's what I'd do.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

?..of course he cut the flanges off.
I cut my flanges off years ago after the third kid..........

Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I had my plumbing adapted after the 4th........

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 614 Likes on 551 Posts
I had my plumbing adapted after the 4th........
"unless of course he cut the flanges off and went with a stack of plumbing fittings and some rubber hose.........that's what I'd do. "

I hope you didn't do that plumbing job the same way! LOL!

That's a great pic by the way!<!-- / message -->

Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I think there was a rubber band involved in the procedure..... The little blonde guy is now 18! Hey, we are doing some big time hijacking here! Just a couple of notes on the 6.9 IDI swap. I converted my 59 to diesel, Installed a different tranny and a different rear axle as well as a completely different bed, more leaf springs for the additional weight. Now my mind wanders to a 4wd conversion and maybe power brakes someday. I still think I might have been ahead just getting an older ford diesel with 4wd and putting my 59 cab and that 9' bed on it. I know a cab can be hard to swap, but all the other stuff would have been done and it would be all Ford as well. Just sayin.......

Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 PM
FJones8668
Senior User
My main concerns with the complete drivetrain swap is bay length, gearshift location, and steering. The engine bay should be long enough judging by my eyeball but i understand a radiator may need to be moved forward some; plenty of room for that. what do you think about gearshift location? Steering, I have a feeling, is going to be a mess of adaptations.

You suggested a 7.3 IDI and I agree it makes sense. there is just something to be said about having something in your truck that no one has heard of. I bet 75% of the ford guys have never heard of the 6.9 IDI and probably couldn't tell the difference between the powerstroke 7.3 and a IDI 7.3.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 PM
FJones8668
Senior User
Suspension is in dire need of an update or at least a rebuild anyways so i'll have to change that in the future. I think i'm down to about 1.5 inches of travel in the front and that is with a light 223 gas

Quick Reply: So I had an idea...