Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust Leak Detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Leak Detector

I've suspected leaking up pipes for a while, but was never 100% sure. It sounded like there was an exhaust leak somewhere, but I only saw a little soot and my boost wasn't terrible (16 psi @ WOT). It was hard to get a good look behind the turbo, and feeling around for exhaust leaks behind a running 7.3 wasn't for me, so I built this:

It's basically the same as a boost leak detector, but pressurizes the exhaust system instead. I couldn't find anything in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot that fit my exhaust just right, so I used a neoprene 4 inch to 3 inch soil pipe coupler. The tapered part will seal a tail pipe from about 4 1/4 down to 3 1/2 inches, although it needs a helper to keep the fit tight.

Turns out my passenger side up pipe is leaking like a sieve at the collector, so bellowed pipes will be installed in the near future. The transmission needs to come out for the new flexplate anyway, so I'll probably do them both at the same time.

Chris

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job on making that - Gotta make myself one of those, just to make sure.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
nice to bad i have a 4" exhaust that is bolted together.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
I recently rebuilt the turbo, pedestal with new plenum inserts and boots. I romp on it and its lagging. I know the up pipes are leaking from start up from installing all the new goodies and exhaust flowing.

does the up pipe leak really rob that much power?

I took it out on the free way and romped on it sure took a long time to get up and go. I know its a van so its detuned with a big wind sale on top, but was sad.

up pipes are on the list, but was surprised it sucked that bad.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Chris looks great and excellent thinking. My exhaust is bolt on MBRP i wonder how it would work on that ? I have one clamp after my muff del that i can see a bit of soot around and don't know if the entire system "exhaust turbo back" would leak causing a miss reading. Also id have to get the 6" adapter for my tip lol. I also am suspecting a up pipe leak and am curious if this would work on my bolt on stuff.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys I'd say if you kept a constant pressure on it, say regulated to 10 psi, then even if you're losing air at the bolt on connections, you can still spray the soapy water at the uppies to see of there's air coming out. I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air (which is tough to do with a compressor running so a big tank would be necessary.)

Great idea on the leak detector though!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Guys I'd say if you kept a constant pressure on it, say regulated to 10 psi, then even if you're losing air at the bolt on connections, you can still spray the soapy water at the uppies to see of there's air coming out. I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air (which is tough to do with a compressor running so a big tank would be necessary.)

Great idea on the leak detector though!
Jeff, thats what i was thinking keeping steady pressure and using soapy water. Panama City huh thats bout a 1.5 hr trip, nice to see a active member close to me. I think i got 1 other member here in Tallahassee.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
a friend of mine has a smoke machine. Stuck it in one of my stacks stuffed rags around it and in the other stack. Could see every leak and thats with a bolt together exhaust..

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
There's myself and AzPete here in PC, and Smokiesman is here till the 1st. Robbragiel will be here a few days in January, and MTalley as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
landmobile
Senior User
I'd say check it cold with soapy water, check it hot by just listening for air
I was going to use soapy water at first, but the leak was so bad that it wouldn't hold even a few psi. Fortunately, I could hear the air escaping.

a friend of mine has a smoke machine. Stuck it in one of my stacks stuffed rags around it and in the other stack. Could see every leak and thats with a bolt together exhaust
Thought about using a smoke machine as well. We have one in the fire department for training, but using it to fix my truck probably wouldn't be such a great idea.

does the up pipe leak really rob that much power?
Don't know for sure how much power I'm losing since the leak has been there since I bought the truck. I'll post how I make out, but probably won't get to it till the first week in January.

Chris

Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just use and infrared camera... doesnt everyone?

exhaust manifold:

Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM
srteach
Elder User
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
... My exhaust is bolt on MBRP i wonder how it would work on that ? I have one clamp after my muff del that i can see a bit of soot around and don't know if the entire system "exhaust turbo back" would leak causing a miss reading. Also id have to get the 6" adapter for my tip lol. I also am suspecting a up pipe leak and am curious if this would work on my bolt on stuff.
If you have a leak after the turbo, it will not rob power. It will make a mess with the soot, though.
There are no factory pressure sensors after the turbo in the 00-03 models. The only sensor that may be there is an aftermarket EGT probe.
The main power loss issue is header / up-pipes / collector leaking (all pre-turbine). That is the area that drives the compressor side of the turbo. If you lose exhaust there, you get lower boost pressures in the IC pipes (if you have them) and intake.