1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:17 AM
SSN621
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

What is the difference between a 2000 Ranger XLT extended cab 2 wheel drive truck and the Ranger Edge? I bought my son a 2000 Ranger XLT for a graduation present, but we really like the way the Edge looks.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Here is a link to a 2003 Ranger Order Guide which sets forth all the different options and combinations for all the Ranger models. Even though its for 2003 model year the Guide can still give you a decent idea of the differences b/t your son's XLT and the Edge model.

2003 Ranger Order Guide

Last edited by Rockledge; 05-25-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:06 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Basically, the "Edge" package is Ford's answer to the Toyota Prerunner. It is a 2-wheel drive truck that sits on 4x4 suspension. You are right, the Edge DOES look a LOT nicer.

Where the XLT is nicer is on the inside. With the XLT you get cruise, tilt, power windows and locks, carpet, all the goodies. So while The Edge is nicer on the outside, the XLT is nicer on the inside. It all depends on your taste. I like my XLT 4x4...gives me the best of both worlds sort of.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Originally posted by SSN621
....I bought my son a 2000 Ranger XLT for a graduation present, but we really like the way the Edge looks.
Originally posted by WXboy
.... You are right, the Edge DOES look a LOT nicer.....
Just wondering, what particular part of the Edge exterior do you guys like that you feel the XLT comes up short on?

Old 05-26-2003, 12:54 AM
Rand
Elder User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

The edge can be 4x4 too.
The main difference is seats,chrome (like on bumpers)
carpet, Radio stuff like that. The xlt is a bit fancier.

Rand

Old 05-26-2003, 10:37 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Sure, the EDGE is available as a 4x4. And you can get it with power accesories and cruise. But the basic idea of the EDGE package was to offer young people a cool looking truck without the 4x4 pricetag.

I like the EDGE because it has color-keyed bumpers, fender-flares, and bed rail caps. The overall appearance of the EDGE is nicer than that of the regular XLT 4x2.

However, on the inside the Edge has vinyl floors, and no options except a CD player. Many people LOVE this because it's easier to maintain and cheaper to purchase.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Jmatteau
Senior User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

I have a 2001 Edge. It has everything, I love it. It does hove the vinal floor and stuff, but it has 6 disck in dash cd changer, power everything, 4x4 on the fly, 4 door super cab, etc. I think the only difference is XLT has cloth interior, and doesn't look as good.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:03 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

No, what you have is the "EDGE Plus" package...which is an EDGE with all that XLT stuff added to it. You pay more for that.

I think what this guy wanted to know, is what is the difference between an EDGE and the XLT. And that is what I was explaining...just what the difference is between the two as they would be if you ordered them as stand-alone packages without adding things.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:36 PM
SSN621
Freshman User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

That's correct WXboy. If the difference was strictly "ground effects" we could add those. If the truck I bought was a 4X4 I could add the color coded bumpers, bed rail guards, etc... and it would look like the Edge. But I primarily bought it because the college he's attending is a two and a half hour drive from home and the 4x2 is a little more economical than the 4x4. Heck he was driving my 79 F350 4x4 with 35x12.5's on it and a 400 engine so either one would be a VAST improvement in gas mileage!! Thanks for everyones help.
Rockledge to answer your question; the exterior of the truck just looks sharper, the running boards, color coded bumpers; all things that can be added; but it also sits up a little higher.

Last edited by SSN621; 05-26-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:59 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Well, I know how 2 hour drives to college are. I had a two hour drive to college from 1997-2001. I drove a GM truck with a 350 for a while...and it was hard to afford to keep gas in it. Now I drive a Ranger (as you can see in my signiture) and even with the 4x4 I'm getting 20 miles per gallon on the Interstate now. I sure wish I had this truck in college. So your boy will see a HUGE increase in fuel economy with the 4x2 Ranger I would think. The EDGE would do well on fuel, and would still have the nice 4x4 appearance that kids love

Old 05-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Ottis
Freshman User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Yeah, I picked the Edge I have right now over an XLT. The only big difference in the interior I found was an XLT had power and carpet. The Edge had tilt wheel and cruise control standard. But the exterior is where it cought my eye. Color coded bumpers, 4x4 stance, aggresive hood. But thats just how I picked, someone else might love the interior options and not care for the exterior ones all that much.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:29 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

Does the EDGE have tilt and cruise standard now? Because the 2001 EDGE I test drove didn't have cruise, or a tilt wheel. It didn't have power windows, locks, or mirrors. It didn't have an automatic transmission or carpet or anything. According to the Ford brochure I have, you have to get the "EDGE Plus" package to get those options, and then you are looking at about the same money as an XLT.

Old 05-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Rand
Elder User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

In my mind if it says EDGE on the side its an edge.. there is no EDGE+ on the side of the truck, just my opinion i guess your techinically correct though wxboy.

Rand

Old 05-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

I think WX may be right about the distinction b/t the Edge and Edge-Plus models. If you look through this 2003 Ranger Brochure on page 4 it describes the Edge model line and has this to say:
......NO FUN-FILLED NIGHT IS COMPLETE WITHOUT JAMS. LOTS OF ‘EM. SO THE 6-DISC IN-DASH CD IS STANDARD ON EDGE PLUS PACKAGES....

....THEY GET YOU WHERE YOU’RE GOING, AND LOOK GOOD ALONG THE WAY. AWESOME 15" SILVER-ALUMINUM WHEELS ARE INCLUDED IN THE 4X2 EDGE PLUS PACKAGES...
Notice the reference to "EDGE PLUS PACKAGE". Again, this is for '03 so the options could be different for other year Edges. But it does seem to demonstrate that there is an Edge, and then there also is an Edge-Plus.

Also, thanks for the feedback regarding the difference b/t the Edge exterior and the XLT exterior. Seems like you guys are right on the money. The same Brochure had this to say about the Edge exterior:
A RAISED POWER DOME HOOD LINE AND PAINTED-PLATINUM HONEYCOMB GRILLE MAKE A LOUD STATEMENT. AND BODY-COLOR WHEEL-LIP MOLDINGS AND COLOR KEYED BUMPERS ARE THE EXCLAMATION POINTS. NO LONGER WILL YOU SIMPLY GET FROM PLACE TO PLACE. IN THE RANGER EDGE SUPERCAB, YOU’LL ARRIVE IN STYLE.
Nice truck, any way you look at it.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Ottis
Freshman User
Ranger XLT vs. Edge

I love my truck.

Just thought I would share.

Quick Reply: Ranger XLT vs. Edge