1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Auto-lite carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-lite carb

I have the carb pictured below, I need to get the choke functioning and know nothing about it other than what someone on another forum told me about it.................stock Autolite 2bbl. The choke is a stock hot air choke coil. It is not a vacuum pod. There is a threaded fitting at about 7:00 relative to the choke coil in the photo. The carb draws heated air into the choke through that fitting to heat the bimetallic coil and open the choke. Usually the hot air comes from a choke stove built into the exhaust manifold. A small tube connects the choke stove to the carb..................

Does anyone have a picture of this set-up mentioned above, I need to see if I can find the missing part but salvage yard is not helping and I am not sure what all is supposed to be there specifically. Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that sitting atop a 302 in that picture? If so get a good picture of the passenger exhaust manifold tward the rear (outlet) area and I can show you were the tube(s) are suppose to go. It's easier to just get new stainless (1/8" i think) like and bend you up new ones. All the originals were mild steel and probably rusted out junk so probably won't find much, if any at all, in the junkyard.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
It looks like an Autolite 2100, a very reliable carb.

You can easily purchase an aftermarket hot air choke tube that can just essentially clamp to your exhaust down pipe, instead of fitting into the hole on the manifold.It should be pretty cheap, less than 30 bucks for sure. I have this on my 59, and though it does seem a bit hokey to me to clamp it alongside the pipe, it functions well, and I was able to tuck it back where the clamps are not visible.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I found pics on google images by searching for autolite choke stove.

This one shows the fresh air tube going from the carb lid down to the stove in the exhaust manifold, and the hot air tube coming back up to the choke. Originally, the hot tube had an insulation wrap.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dano78
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that sitting atop a 302 in that picture? If so get a good picture of the passenger exhaust manifold tward the rear (outlet) area and I can show you were the tube(s) are suppose to go. It's easier to just get new stainless (1/8" i think) like and bend you up new ones. All the originals were mild steel and probably rusted out junk so probably won't find much, if any at all, in the junkyard.
Thansk Dano, its actually a 351, I will get a better picture when the sun rises but the manifolds are not original for the engine, another scrapyard find, I did however plug up a hole pass side, I believe this hole was prob. for a 02 sensor though.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
It looks like an Autolite 2100, a very reliable carb.

You can easily purchase an aftermarket hot air choke tube that can just essentially clamp to your exhaust down pipe, instead of fitting into the hole on the manifold.It should be pretty cheap, less than 30 bucks for sure. I have this on my 59, and though it does seem a bit hokey to me to clamp it alongside the pipe, it functions well, and I was able to tuck it back where the clamps are not visible.
I may look into this than, I can imagine what you mean by hokey but I may still check it out, any pictures or part numbers or references on where you got it might help.

I would have never though that the tube originally went INTO the exhaust manifold pipe, thats alot of heat going thru the carb constantly isnt it?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I found pics on google images by searching for autolite choke stove.

This one shows the fresh air tube going from the carb lid down to the stove in the exhaust manifold, and the hot air tube coming back up to the choke. Originally, the hot tube had an insulation wrap.

Two tubes??? I would have never guessed....I have used google images before but I have noticed that the images alot of times are not to be trusted, I see images that have nothing to do with what I am looking for so I am hesitant to use that service.

I wish that the second picture was clearer, I am guessing though that I do not have the correct manifold for this set-up

Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Ok here are some pics, I have a flash on the camera so hopefully these will show ok, this first one shows the hole I plugged up which I believe was for an 0 2 sensor

These others will hopefull show the manifold better and my lack of ( I am guessing ) the proper holes needed for these tube deals.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
I bought mine from Pony Carbs, who are now defunct, and it does come with the heat shield cloth.

Go to your local Napa, or any good parts store, they will either have it or be able to order one. Also, they should have them in the catalogs of the major vendors.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by 1930 Dodge
Two tubes??? I would have never guessed....I have used google images before but I have noticed that the images alot of times are not to be trusted, I see images that have nothing to do with what I am looking for so I am hesitant to use that service.

I wish that the second picture was clearer, I am guessing though that I do not have the correct manifold for this set-up
The second tube is a vacuum line to the warm air intake for the air cleaner. the vacuum line goes to a thermal vacuum switch so the door lets warmth off the manifold untill the engine reaches operating temp

or it could have a vac operated heat riser

Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
They make electric chokes for that model if you want to do away with all the tubing.

I think that I still have several 2100s in the top of my barn if you need one.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by petemcl
They make electric chokes for that model if you want to do away with all the tubing.

I think that I still have several 2100s in the top of my barn if you need one.
Thanks, to be honest electric is really the way I wanted to go from the beginning, can you give me an idea on how Id go about finding one, I have a felling if I went into my local Napa and told them I had an autolite 2100 and wanted the electric choke conversion I might get laughed at.

Thanks for the offer on the carb, I believe this one to be fairly new, still had a sticker on it when I got it so I dont think I need another unless these are maybe prone to wearing out or something, know nothing about them.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
The second tube is a vacuum line to the warm air intake for the air cleaner. the vacuum line goes to a thermal vacuum switch so the door lets warmth off the manifold untill the engine reaches operating temp

or it could have a vac operated heat riser
Thanks, I do not have the original air cleaner, didnt come with the truck, I am going to try the electric route anyway I guess, seems neater

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I bought mine from Pony Carbs, who are now defunct, and it does come with the heat shield cloth.

Go to your local Napa, or any good parts store, they will either have it or be able to order one. Also, they should have them in the catalogs of the major vendors.
Thanks again for your replies, I will keep this info in mind if the electric choke conversion proves to expensive or un-available.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 1930 Dodge
Thanks, to be honest electric is really the way I wanted to go from the beginning, can you give me an idea on how Id go about finding one, I have a felling if I went into my local Napa and told them I had an autolite 2100 and wanted the electric choke conversion I might get laughed at.

Thanks for the offer on the carb, I believe this one to be fairly new, still had a sticker on it when I got it so I dont think I need another unless these are maybe prone to wearing out or something, know nothing about them.
I think this kit from Holley will work. I would check with them first.
Holley Performance Products Choke Conversion Kit*45-226
or
Charlie Price at Vintage Speed might know:
Charlie Price's Vintage Speed | World's largest supplier of 50's – 60's Style Hot Rod fuel systems

I just Googled it and there are lots of links.

Quick Reply: Auto-lite carb