Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner Confirmed

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP Tuner Confirmed

So Finally the wait is going to be over. Im almost certain Santa will be bringing me a DP Tuner for christmas. Im super pumped and its got my head spinning.

I have so many questions about this as I'm so new to DP. I have had a Edge Evolution with the Attitude monitor and its good but after reading so much about Jodys AWESOME work with his products and getting references from others thats the way I'm going. My edge I'm keeping only due that i can keep it plugged in to my OBDII port and have digital gauges and a code reader. Not as good as regular gauges but hey its fine as wine for now. So i have a few questions y'all might be able to answer for me.

1. Im getting the F6. Dose the F6chip its self come as just as the chip or with an option of the Flush Mount or Gauge Switcher. Or are the switchers come separate.
Reason i ask is I'm trying to figure out mounting possibilities.

2. Is the Downloading of new tunes fairly easy and work with MAC/APPLE computers ?

3. Tunes - I know I'm going to have to get with Jody on this but advice never hurts from others. Heres what I'm shooting to get and feel free to add ur input.

1. STK

2. High Idle - " don't know how much yet, for running a/c faster warm up, jumping off others etc."

3. Tow Tune " for smaller trailers 16' flat beds and smaller with mowers ,quads small boats etc. For in town and HWY 70mph tops "

4. Tow Tune " Big Trailers, Goosenecks with Tractors, 5th wheel 35' toyhauler loaded 4 mx bikes gear etc. For in town and HWY 70mph tops "

5. Daily Driver " Arround town un-loaded, no more than 50-55mph tops, good on fuel mileage"

6. Hwy Tune " Interstate driving, un-loaded, 70- 80mph, good mileage

7. Race Tune " Like the 120, I'm all stock except for exhaust intake ww."

8. Lope Tune " Wife's Request.... I don't know why but she likes it so to make her happy so..... i get it"

Wow thats a lot LOL sorry guys just a bit excited. I know I will have to work with Jody But want yalls opinions on my tune list.
Also Hows his tunes effect the way the tranny shifts ? Just curious i don't want to kill my Tranny.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both the f5 &f6 have the same switcher options... Either the ex switcher our the gauge , your call. Don't know about compatibility with apple/mac, i have the f5 so no input there.

Tunes look good, the lope idle is a waste i think, but hey if the wife likes it, don't argue. Just don't run it long, you can wet stack the cylinders. As far as shifts go, these strategies will be much nicer to your tranny than your edge was.

Good luck man, three guys here will always be of help.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MAIN thing,I don't see an EGT gauge in your sig,does the EDGE have a probe and monitor exhaust temps?,got to watch the EGTs...VERY important. Try to make a good guess of your"light" trailer weight,and also your"heavy" trailer weight and get you tow tunes accordingly. I have the 80E as my DD but lots of guys like the 60E too. Also get the no start option in position 0..its free.I kinda have to agree with Chris on the lope idle,its very smoky so the only thing its really good for is annoying your friends(or the snobby looking dude in the convertible BMW at the stoplight),but other than that its useless.As far as the high idle I went with the 1100 rpm.It will definitely be better than the Edge for your tranny too,but being an F6 chip if the shifting needs to be tweaked you can just call Jody,tell him what you think,he can email the tweaks to ya,you might want to consider an upgraded valve body too,really help to firm up the shifts(firm shifts means less heat..jmho)..

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
Both the f5 &f6 have the same switcher options... Either the ex switcher our the gauge , your call. Don't know about compatibility with apple/mac, i have the f5 so no input there.

Tunes look good, the lope idle is a waste i think, but hey if the wife likes it, don't argue. Just don't run it long, you can wet stack the cylinders. As far as shifts go, these strategies will be much nicer to your tranny than your edge was.

Good luck man, three guys here will always be of help.
Thanks for the input. So when i order the F6 it WILL come with either the Gauge Switcher or Flush Mount Switcher, i won't have to buy one of the two separate ?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
MAIN thing,I don't see an EGT gauge in your sig,does the EDGE have a probe and monitor exhaust temps?,got to watch the EGTs...VERY important. Try to make a good guess of your"light" trailer weight,and also your"heavy" trailer weight and get you tow tunes accordingly. I have the 80E as my DD but lots of guys like the 60E too. Also get the no start option in position 0..its free.I kinda have to agree with Chris on the lope idle,its very smoky so the only thing its really good for is annoying your friends(or the snobby looking dude in the convertible BMW at the stoplight),but other than that its useless.As far as the high idle I went with the 1100 rpm.It will definitely be better than the Edge for your tranny too,but being an F6 chip if the shifting needs to be tweaked you can just call Jody,tell him what you think,he can email the tweaks to ya,you might want to consider an upgraded valve body too,really help to keep the shifts firm(firm shifts means less heat..jmho)..
Thanks Phil
Yes the Edge monitors 4 PIDS at one time " boost rpm EGT and Trans Temp" also can swap out different PIDS like batt volts, MPH, EOT, Barometric Pressure, ECT, and a few more. The EGT Is a probe and dose not run off the OBDII port. The Gauges actually work really well.
Will also do the NO START for "0"
As for the Weight For my tow tunes I will weigh out and Adverage up the weights .
Lope...... yea i totally agree but when the Wife seen it in the tune list on Jodys site she said it was a must, and as a newly wed well...... I say no more LOL
Tranny shifts....... Had it rebuilt by a very very good tranny guy here in town about 50k ago. He did a heavy duty TC and Custom valve body and shift kit. He might not be John Woods Quality but man i tell ya he's really really good. Installed 6.0 trans cooler my self after that. The only thing i don't like about the way the edge makes it shift is from 3rd to 4th. Shifts to 4th locking the TC at the same time at like 42mph. Stock it shifts 3rd then TC locks at like 38mph and then 4th at 45mph. I like the stk shift but when the edge program is on i don't like the 3rd to 4th TC at the same time. Hopfully Jody is good with this tranny shifting stuff and gets it how it needs to be with his tunes, I'm shure they will be great. Nedless to say edge off they are good and firm stk. I will call my tranny guy and have him tell me exactly what he did inside the 4r and relay that to Jody.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Lope Tune = money wasted.

For me, I don't care if my wife requested it. She'd be told no.

Stewart

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
LOL Yea well maby i will do the trial on the lope tune to show her and then after the 10th cycle no more lope she won't even know

Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
1000 words here:

Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Thanks for the input. So when i order the F6 it WILL come with either the Gauge Switcher or Flush Mount Switcher, i won't have to buy one of the two separate ?
When you order the chip, the first question asked is to select the style of switch. I believe the EX switcher is like $40 and the gauge mount is like $80-100...

When the time comes, give Jody a call and discuss what the best tunes for your truck and driving style are. I gotta say, I do like the idea of the f6, having said that, I am glad I saved the money on the f5 and put that towards live tuning.

Good luck, you are going to enjoy your rig so much more after Christmas