just getting started....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
BoxedDuk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just getting started....

i just recently bought a 2001 E450 7.3L Super Duty Power Stroke V8 that i am going to run on wvo. i'm still researching but think i have a pretty good understanding of things. i'm going to basically run a 2 tank system similiar to the one joshua talks about in his book from the fryer to the fuel tank. what i'm curious about first is there anything i should know about my particular engine as far as replacing any factory parts before running the vo through the system (hoses, o-rings, etc.....) also, what? if any! possible benifits would having an electric engine block heater play in the conversion process...oh yea by the way i am going to do the converssion on my own without buying a kit i'm going to get as much as i can from the junk yard with the exception of new filters & hoses.....any enlighting input is welcome....still researching but very excited about conversion so i'm going to be getting started soon!!! very interested in dual 3 port solenoids for a closed and open return line so that it has a purge for air build up? any suggestions!?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
first things first.
the condition of your oil is critical for the safe long term use of vo/wvo.
2nd poly or aluminum tank... check.
heating system... you have some options for this but most of the guys here like to use tube in hose heating with the engine coolant.
filtration before it ever goes in your truck! filter it down to at least 10micron before it goes in your truck! make sure there is no water in your oil... search hot pan test.
read, read, read.
when you think you have read enough... read some more.

big keys to remember.

clean oil.
no water in oil.
heat oil (at least 160*f)
purge oil out of heads before shutdown.

for purging you might want to think about one of the valve and circuit board kits on ebay that have a timing control board and 2 3way selonoid valves.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Most importantly, can you find oil? WVO is in very short supply to us right now because the renderers are paying between $1.25 and $3.45 per gallon to the restaurants for used oil.
I recommend you collect at least 200 gallons and de-water and filter before you start a conversion. MaKe sure you and your family can deal with the mess, smell, spills, collection and storage of oil.

Like I always say:
Greasin'. It ain't for everyone.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
7.3fan
New User
7.3's make a nice SVO conversion

Ditto on the read, and then read some more. There's some real benefits to using a 7.3 to run SVO, and a couple different ways to do it.

My opinion is to look at the redundant (wvodesign like) two tank system: second tank, second fuel pump, second filter, check valve on stock fuel system. If something fails, you haven't touched your stock system (much). Don't even need a fancy three way solenoid valve!

Good luck! Not an easy project, but much reward!