Rebuilding E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
oregon250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding E4OD

I am thinking of rebuilding my E4OD on a '93 F250 4X4. I am probably going to do it myself and yes I am mechanically inclined. However, I really need this truck and I am wondering how long this rebuild should take me, a few days, weeks, months, years?

How hard if I use one of the manuals I can get on Ebay that say they are step by step.

Thanks,
Geoff Carpenter

p.s. I am going through some slipping issues. It shifts hard through all gears, and when you reset the computer it has a shudder. No codes but if I floor it is shifts through all gears great. Is this maybe an electrical issue or possibly a relay?

Old 05-21-2003, 06:31 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Geoff,
If you'd like, I will send you the zip file I sent to Bozon on May 16th regarding rebuild tips for the E4OD. You will have to unzip it using Winzip or the like. You could browse it and see if a rebuild is something you want to tackle.
I just got wind of a site (via this forum) called:

http://www.bulkpart.com

I was looking around the site and saw they carry rebuild manuals for the E4OD.
R.A.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuilding E4OD

Hey Oregon250,

Are you located in Oregon? Are you near Eugene? I'm a recently former dealership transmission tech and would be willing to help! The whole job should take a couple to three hours minus removal and installation and with parts in hand which I could probably help out with also. If interested let me know.

Sincerely,
Jim

Old 05-22-2003, 11:47 PM
kinglg
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuilding E4OD

I rebuilt my E4OD about a month ago and it worked fine for about three weeks then I started having trouble with the valve body. I have had the pan off twice already and am getting tired of buying tranny fluid. Any tips on sticking valves? I would like a copy of the zip file if possible.
Thanks, Kinglg

Old 05-23-2003, 12:28 AM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Sure Kinglg, no problem, except that I need your email address to get it to you. R.A.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:20 PM
kinglg
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuilding E4OD

The rebuild isn't so hard. Just remember to go through your valve bodys with a fine tooth comb. Talking from experience, I went through it the hard way.
The zip file will come in handy. I wish I had got it before I started my rebuild as it would have saved me a lot of
headaches

Last edited by kinglg; 07-01-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
70spoiler
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

thanks for the file,it looks like alot of info that my 92 manual has.i am collecting as much info as possible.what up grades did you do to yours? trans kit or springs? reprogram?jack k

Old 07-02-2003, 10:41 AM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Yes Chris, I sent it to you at least a week ago but I have just sent it to you again. R.A.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:56 PM
70spoiler
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

dieselzen, what special tools did you need to complete your rebuild?did you do any upgrading that you would recomend?kit or springs?what do you look for in a rebuilt converter, and what should it cost? i greatly appreciate your input and time jack k

Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Hey 70spoiler,
I really hate to disappoint you but my E4OD has never required a rebuild since I've owned it (a little over two years).
Despite reading of unending complaints from folks here and at The Dieselstop, I've only had two problems with the tranny not shifting right. The first was actually the u-joints gone bad (wouldn't shift past 2nd until I let off the gas pedal and re-applied), and the second was a bad solenoid block connector (burned wires from 180,000 miles next to the exhaust pipe, plus lock tabs broken off allowing water to enter solenoid pin block, shorting out solenoid pins so that I only had 1rst gear).
If you do a search via Webcrawler or other search engines, typing in E4OD, or even transmission, you'll find an large supply of people who sell parts and tools. There are plenty of people on this site that have done rebuilds themselves, or are transmission techs. I'd suggest starting your own thread to ask the whole FTE community what they'd suggest. The one, absolute, item I know you must have is a torque wrench which measures torque in inch/pounds, as well as one which measures in ft/lbs.
Regarding upgrades, If I were to rebuild my E4OD, I would use the info in the zip file to guide my purchases on hard parts and also buy a rebuild manual specifically for the E4OD. I'd also check for updates on hard part upgrades to make sure the info I've collected hasn't left anything out.
As far as the torque converter, I ran across a really great transmission site recently which had a great article about what a customer should look for and expect from the advertised claims of the stall speed shifts but danged if I can find it in my favorites. I'm gonna do a search and see if I can find it again.
Like I said, I'm sorry if you were mis-led about my experience with my E4OD. I certainly would want your rebuild experience to be a completely successful operation. As you know, from your questions to me, in any unknown mechanical territory, preparation is tantamount. Regards, R.A.

Old 07-05-2003, 10:17 PM
70spoiler
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

i am sorry, i did a good search a few days ago and found many guys who did the rebuild themselves, and going off my memory (which i should not do ). i thought you were one of them. i did post a separate post but did not get any reply. since this thread is so long many people will look at it and maybe get some attention thanks for your input. jack k

Old 07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

rj82cj7,
I sent the zip file to you within the last two hours and it bounced back to me as undeliverable. I sent out a test email to the same address and it also came back so I had to post here. Is there another address I can send the zip file to or is msn just having a problem with their email service right now?

70spoiler,
I found the transmission site I was looking for again. You can access the torque converter page I referred to at:

http://www.baumannengineering.com/tconvinf.htm

They also have some good info on other aspects of the E4OD.

R.A.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Nickiboy
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Hello dieselzen, By now you MUST be considering selling that zip file and making some money. ......... Looks like the popularity of it is soaring............. I hope you're not getting tired of e-mailing it out, because I sure could use a copy of it........ It looks like you've been a real help to a lot of people in this forum. Would really appreciate a copy too.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

No, no, the information came to me for free, and that's how I'll always share it.
I've been saying and wanting to do to whatever was messing with my vehicular health.
If I can use a to help someone be , I don't mind at all.(Sorry about that, I've always wanted to use those icons) R.A.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:56 PM
biggreen4x4
Senior User
Rebuilding E4OD

Ok ill give you an idea of wether or not you will need a rebuild. look at the trans fluid. if it looks red then the clutches are not worn. if it looks a dark dirty red then a rebuild is indeed a future venture for you. now naturally an automatic transmission does not make trash (friction particles and such). when the fluid gets old it doesn't lubricate as well and the clutches start to wear away. So if the fluid looks dark then the clutches have been wearing away. When no friction material is left on the clutches left then you don't go anywhere.
Now the E40D is best left to a professional. The shifting problems can come from the valvebody just being slap worn out. In this case it's time to swap for another valve body. Now you get into the more expensive hard parts.
Here are average costs: torque converter - $70, rebuild kit- $65, tranny fluid- $20 (losing reverse then taking it all apart to discover you put a check ball in the reverse fluid passage- a pain in the @$$)
As for the zip file for the E40D I could make good use of it as well.

Last edited by biggreen4x4; 07-08-2003 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding E4OD