1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

fuel tank filler neck problems, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 AM
muddyoldford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel tank filler neck problems, Help!

I have an 86 f150 i300 longbed pickup. since i bought the truck i cant get gas to flow into the tank at a decent pace. i can only go about half speed and takes forever to put gas in the truck. I understand it maybe a vent problem? Im not sure but id like to just replace the entire neck strait into the tank. Ive tried taking the old filler neck out but it wont come out. is there some kind of crimp on the inner hose? can someone explain how to make a filler neck swap? thanks

Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,674 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Take the hose clamps loose going to the tank, take the 3 screws out of the bed around where you put the nozzle when filling, and then whole assembly will come out.

You will find a smaller pipe inside the larger rubber pipe. If you look down the filler hole you will see a spot where the smaller inside pipe is held in place, Make sure the smaller pipe is present and in the correct position in the holder in the neck.

The inner hose can get out of place, and cause the fuel from the station hose to splash back and cause the filler gun to cut off. It's purpose is to keep all the air coming out of the tank when you are filling, separated from the fuel going in. If this hose is missing or out of place, it can cause "gurgling" and pockets of air coming up out of the tank when filling will throw fuel backwards at the station gun and make it cut off.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
even like an old radiator hose, you sometimes have to insert a screwdriver or other tool between the hose and the pipe to break the connection between rubber and steel. once you've worked it loose, it'll come right out as franklin described

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM
EL_JEFE32
Junior User
Originally Posted by muddyoldford
I have an 86 f150 i300 longbed pickup. since i bought the truck i cant get gas to flow into the tank at a decent pace. i can only go about half speed and takes forever to put gas in the truck. I understand it maybe a vent problem? Im not sure but id like to just replace the entire neck strait into the tank. Ive tried taking the old filler neck out but it wont come out. is there some kind of crimp on the inner hose? can someone explain how to make a filler neck swap? thanks
Oh I remember the days of filling my truck a dime at a time. Ten cents of gas gurgle ten cents of gas gurgle. Took me fifteen minutes to put in 5 gallon. Mine was a small break in the vent and i had to pry mine off like was said already. Works fine ever since as long as everything goes back in the right hole and stays put. The inner hose if stock is just a plastic type vent that doesn't dissolve with fuel if its stock.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
muddyoldford
New User
thanks guys! your alot of help! but i have another question. if i remove the filler neck am i going to have trouble putting it back into the tank? there isnt alot of working room in there

Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Franklin2
It will go. I somehow did it as did the others, but I don't remember any of the fine details.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I had to drop my rear tank to get the inner plastic tube back into it's "holder" in the tank.

I call it a holder for lack of a better word...

There is a "holder" on the tank side, and one on the filler neck that the plastic tubes slide into. This holds the tube up off the bottom of the filler neck and hose.

These plastic tubes can get damaged or dislodged from it's "holders" if someone siphons your gas.

The filler neck will slide into the filler hose, and the plastic tube will slide right into it's holder built into the neck without dropping the tank. The problem and why I had to drop the tank is the plastic tube came loose from the tank side and no way to reach that end with the tank in place.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
muddyoldford
New User
thanks everyone, im going to try to take it out, ill reply with any problems

Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
While we are on the subject, is there a source for a replacement for the vent tube. Mine was damaged when I removed the tank as part of my disassembly. I am relocating the filler, but still need the vent to work.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
muddyoldford
New User
im not sure what you mean. youre replacing your filler? i dont know too much about the tank on these trucks, im sure franklin could help you out

btw i found the problem with my filler neck. someone had it apart not to long ago and has the hose cut about half way to the tank and spliced another smaller hose into the like cutting the fuel flow way back...guess im going to have to make a trip to the junk yard

Old 10-21-2012, 08:18 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Not replacing the filler, just moving it. I moved the fuel tank from the midship just inside the frame, to behind the rear axle, and am moving my fuel filler from the door on the side of the bed to behind the driver side taillight. I am afraid I may have to head to the local junkyard, as well, if I can't find an inexpensive replacement.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
muddyoldford
New User
ive looked and looked and all i can find is very expensive replacement filler necks. i think the junk yard is the best bet

Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Franklin2
Or a muffler shop might be able to bend a piece of pipe for you to use? Don't know about the smaller inside pipe though.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
86fn150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swap to 87 and up style .world of difference.way faster.only mod is to get rid of inner holder in tank neck for the old vent as this style is reversed

Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
muddyoldford
New User
mine is like the 87 and up filler but it has another hose spliced into it

Quick Reply: fuel tank filler neck problems, Help!