Block heaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM
pcerra
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Block heaters

Hi folks

It used to be with the power stroke 7.3 that the block heaters were installed at the factory in every truck. The option just sold you the cable. Does anyone know if this is the case on the 6.2L? I looked at a couple trucks that had the block heater option. Unfortunately the one I am considering buying does not have it listed on the sticker. Anyone know if they all come with the heater in the softplug and only need a cable?

Thanks
Pat

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What's the coldest temps your truck will be sitting in? The 6.2 warms up fast, in single digit temps I've had hot air coming out of the vents after 10-15mins of idling. Plus it doesn't have the gelling issues that come with a diesel in cold weather.

From what I remember, if the truck doesn't have it, it's not there at all, you have to get the cord and the mechanism.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM
pcerra
Cross-Country
Thanks for the reply.. Upstate NY..Gets below 0 here quite often. The reason I am asking is because I think it's better to have warm oil when its cold gas or diesel.. I know the PS would not start without being plugged in under 20..

Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
You won't have a starting issue with the 6.2. It'll make a bit of noise for a few seconds when it first starts but that's it. I react the same way at those temps though, gasp for a few seconds, then I'm good...

I don't disagree with you though that it would benefit from warmer oil on mornings like that. Looking on fordparts.com, it'd be about $200 to add the element ($50) and cord ($150) yourself.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that Ford puts them on for free in 15 cold weather states and is standard, MI is one of them. I got mine and it was on the sticker with $0.00 cost. It is a option in the other states. Here are the states that it comes standard in, the truck must also have been ordered for that state to get it for free:AK, CO, IA, ID, ME, MI, MN, MT,ND, NH, NY, SD, VT, WI, WY.

If you have to order it and pay for it from Ford, it cost $75.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Kevin do you ever use yours?

I forgot they came standard in some states.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I know that Ford puts them on for free in 15 cold weather states and is standard, MI is one of them. I got mine and it was on the sticker with $0.00 cost. It is a option in the other states. Here are the states that it comes standard in, the truck must also have been ordered for that state to get it for free:AK, CO, IA, ID, ME, MI, MN, MT,ND, NH, NY, SD, VT, WI, WY.

If you have to order it and pay for it from Ford, it cost $75.
Yep just like metioned above its free in some states. I ordered mine in upstate ny and I live in pa and it came on it free! Or just think of paying $40,000 for the block heater and the truck is free if that makes you feel any better.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I do, but not till I know it's below 32. I have a 20 amp timer in the garage and I set it to come on 2 hours before I leave in the morning. This way it don't waste electricity for no reason. I only use because I did have a engine seize on me one time because it got so cold and the oil was kinda old, wife car and was not changed often enough. That will never happen again. It was a $6000 lesson and you learn right away the importance of good oil.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Rhino-F250
New User
Asked dealer yesterday how much to install in illinois about $400

Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
That is if they install it, right? If you order it with the truck is only $75.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
To install one you need to drain the coolant out of the engine. Next knock out a frost plug where you want to install the element in the block, then install the element and the cord. Finally put the coolant back in and you are done.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by kmonty2
That is if they install it, right? If you order it with the truck is only $75.
Think I'll throw a blanket over the hood on a real cold day. We get a couple days a year in Houston of cold weather.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Really old post, but still relevant. First of all, the oil temp probably doesn't warm up much at all. The factory location of the heater (gas 6.2L) is on the driver's side engine block, just above the oil pan. The element is small, and heats the coolant. Since no coolant is circulating through the oil pan, I'm guessing the transfer of heat from that small heater element, through the antifreeze, through the cast iron and then stamped steel of the oil pan, to where it could have any affect on oil, is negligible at best. In all reality, only some of the coolant is heated, since nothing is circulated when the engine is off. A $400 retrofit? No thanks. For $75 as an option when new? Yes please. There are cheaper aftermarket solutions out there, and this factory block heater does not interface in any way to any other vehicle systems.

I had one on my 2012 250 and also on my new 350. Being a modern gas engine, I can guarantee the 6.2L will start right up probably down to -40F. At that point, the big worry is battery cranking power and oil viscosity.

I never used the block heater on my 2012, ever. Tomorrow we're expecting a low of -15F, I'm going to plug in the 350. If nothing else, it will provide quicker heat inside, and maybe will slightly reduce wear on the engine.

One interesting note is the battery. I've noticed the battery is partially wrapped in an insulating blanket, which will help a small amount. Earlier trucks used to always mount the battery in the left or right front corner, right behind the headlamps, in an open steel battery box. Lots of air could come through the grille, etc and chill the battery down. The new location is better; but in my opinion only 650CCA from the stock battery is not much. Even the F-150 has a 750CCA battery.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
Being a modern gas engine, I can guarantee the 6.2L will start right up probably down to -40F.

.......slightly reduce wear on the engine.
Will it start at -40°? Yes it will. Would I start it at -40° without plugging it in? No I wouldn't due to possible damage and premature wear on the engine.

I live in the interior of Alaska and -40° temps are very normal durring the cold winters. I run the factory installed block heater, oil pan heater and transmission pan heater on all five of my ford vehicles. The main reason for all the heaters is to reduce engine wear but it also shortens the warmup time a little.

If I lived anywhere that saw temps below +10°F I would have a block heater as a minimum. If temps are colder than -20°F I would have pan heaters.

As far as battery heaters I am not a fan. Heat kills batteries. Cold doesn't reduce the life of a battery it only reduces the CCA while it's cold. With a block heater plugged in the underhood temprature is much warmer than the ambient temperature so battery heater is not needed to raise the CCA. my 1996 F350 powerstroke is 19 years old and only went through two sets of batteries. If I had heated them I would have needed four sets. A small trickle charger is a nice option if the vehicle sits for several days without being started.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:19 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Good points, and I agree with you. Living in NH, it would be rare but not impossible to experience -20. We did see -16F the other night, and it has been around 0 to -5F for the last week or so at night. I plug the truck in when the temp is going to be below zero. Other than that, I don't. Previously, I lived in northern MN where it tended to be much colder (-50F at one point in the early 90's was the rare max, but -20F was common). Many stores and businesses included electrical outlets in the parking lots for customers to plug their vehicles in to.

Much of it comes down to oil. Synthetic oils, or even synthetic blends, are still very slippery even in subzero temperatures. But I do agree, I would be adding pan heaters as well if -20F was common.

Quick Reply: Block heaters