7 pin elec connector add on for '00 F250SD?? 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 pin elec connector add on for '00 F250SD?? 4X4

So we've got a new to us travel trailer. The wifes truck is a 2010 Expy 4X4 with the HD tow package. It has the 7 pin plug already installed. I didn't realize it but that plug also provides power to the campers power converter which in turn re-charges the camper batts while connected. Very cool!

There will be times that we tow with my pickup. I know for certain it does not have the 7 pin plug. All I have is a cheezy 4 pin plug spliced in for brake lights and the like.

Questions:

Is it possible to install one of the round 7 pin plugs onto my rig?

If yes, how big a job is it? What all is involved?

If yes, should I let a mechanic do it? I'm not too much of a mechanic and less still an electrician.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
If you tackle it look here for the connector diagram - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...g-diagram.html

Then take a look thru the tips folder for LOTS of info......

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 pin plug

Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner
So we've got a new to us travel trailer. The wifes truck is a 2010 Expy 4X4 with the HD tow package. It has the 7 pin plug already installed. I didn't realize it but that plug also provides power to the campers power converter which in turn re-charges the camper batts while connected. Very cool!

There will be times that we tow with my pickup. I know for certain it does not have the 7 pin plug. All I have is a cheezy 4 pin plug spliced in for brake lights and the like.

Questions:

If yes, should I let a mechanic do it? I'm not too much of a mechanic and less still an electrician.

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes it is possible...just adding some wires and plug...if you add the charging wire from your truck to the TT, you will need to wire it up thru a battery isolator, or at least you should.

2. It can be a big job if you've never done it before, but really not all that hard or complicated...You can do it...just ask many q's, and read up on it, or maybe find a friend who can help. That will save you lots of money.

3. Welcome to the towing & wiring world...Like I said, you should learn all about it so if you run into probs you can troubleshoot & fix...

Good Luck! Take your time, and double check yourself if needed.

BeerCan500

Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
sspikaroo
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, I originally installed one of those ubiquitous plastic 7 pin sockets on a metal L bracket on my '99 F250. I drive on gravel & offroad a certain amount and found that that plastic socket started breaking up within a year from brush, gravel, & whatever. I then hunted around until I found an all metallic version of the 7 pin socket and installed that in basically the same spot. That was a couple of years ago and so far I've been completely satisfied with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sspikaroo
For what it's worth, I originally installed one of those ubiquitous plastic 7 pin sockets on a metal L bracket on my '99 F250. I drive on gravel & offroad a certain amount and found that that plastic socket started breaking up within a year from brush, gravel, & whatever. I then hunted around until I found an all metallic version of the 7 pin socket and installed that in basically the same spot. That was a couple of years ago and so far I've been completely satisfied with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
My experience as well. I broke two of the plastic hoppy blade sockets and said screw this and coverted to a Cole Hersee round 7-pin setup. All metal.
About to install the same thing in the bumper of the '85 F-250 I just bought. I cut a hole in the face of the bumper with a hole saw so it's away from the ground.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner

Questions:

Thanks in advance!
There should be a wiring harness up near the spare tire on the frame rail with the the wires there. Need on plug the 7 pin pigtail into it and put two fuses under the hood for the brake and 12V charge.

Theoretically 100% plug and play. Brake wire harness plug is there under the dash. My 2000 F250 was already wired when I got it, but I did have to put a new 7 way on the back and learned a little about the system while doing that.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rovernut
My experience as well. I broke two of the plastic hoppy blade sockets and said screw this and coverted to a Cole Hersee round 7-pin setup. All metal.
About to install the same thing in the bumper of the '85 F-250 I just bought. I cut a hole in the face of the bumper with a hole saw so it's away from the ground.
While this would work very well, you either have to carry an adapter, or it will only work with trailers you've converted.

Were can you find metal 7-blade (RV) sockets?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 PM
sspikaroo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
While this would work very well, you either have to carry an adapter, or it will only work with trailers you've converted.

I found my metal version 7 pin RV socket at an RV dealership. Don't know how common they are though, I never see them at the local hardware stores.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Otahyoni

This is true, but I only tow my own trailer so it's not an issue. If I happen to rent a u-haul or the like, I also have a 4-way connector.
I've never really understood why the RV industry didn't standardize on the better 7-way round split pin design.

Here's what appears to be a metal one, though the description is somewhat vague, so it might be chromed plastic.
RV boat 7 way Truck & Trailer plug METAL with BRACKET | eBay

It says the brand is Pollak, but I couldn't find it on their web site, but I didn't spend much time looking.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
sspikaroo
Freshman User
My metal socket is a Jos Pollak 12-700 and looks nearly identical to the unit displayed in Rovernut's EBay link.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM
sspikaroo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sspikaroo
My metal socket is a Jos Pollak 12-700 and looks nearly identical to the unit displayed in Rovernut's EBay link.
Also I see it listed on etrailer and they have an excellent close up pic.